Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN), Endocrinologist (diabetes, hormones)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

• Currently 1.8275862068966 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Once in a Lifetime Doctor!  |  show details
by Sean & Sonia on Aug 2nd, 2014

I will say the decision to try IVF is one of the biggest decisions a family can make and it doesn't get any better than Dr. Ilene Hatch and her staff at Fertility Center of Southern California! Before finding Dr. Hatch, my wife and I became very involved in learning about fertility as we tried in vain to get pregnant. We did 6 IUI cycles and an IVF cycle with another doctor in the Bay Area. All told, we've spent 100's of combined hours researching all aspects of fertility. I personally feel like I could teach a class on the subject now:-) After relocating to Southern California, we interviewed 4-5 different fertility specialists and we would both recommend Dr. Hatch to anyone hands down and over any fertility specialist in the country. Her friendly communication style, sheer mastery of the science and commitment to her patients at every single stage is truly unparalleled. My wife and I pride ourselves on being able to recognize excellence when we see it but don't often write reviews. We feel we owe it to you to tell you that if you're trying to get pregnant, you want an incredibly intelligent doctor, with an amazing bedside manor, you should do yourself a favor and go meet with Dr. Hatch.

|  So far so good  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2013

We just met with Dr. Hatch for our first consultation. We did have a very long wait, but she was well worth it! Even though she was clearly running behind, she never once seemed hurried with us, and took her time going over all the questions we had. She also devised a reasonable plan for us to go forward with treatment. We had a bad experience with a previous REI doctor, so it was refreshing to feel that someone was actually paying attention to our needs as a couple, and not make us feel at though we were part of an assembly line. She personally called me with my initial lab work, which I thought was amazing. I am not usually one to write reviews, but I felt so much better leaving her office than the previous one, I thought I would share my positive thoughts. Her staff also seemed very friendly and helpful. I am looking forward to being her patient.

Jan 29th, 2013

You may have to wait a bit, but I would wait all day for Dr. Hatch. She is that good. I never felt rushed when she was in the room with me - she would answer any questions that I had. She just gets it. I never thought I would be able to get and stay pregnant, and Dr. Hatch proved me wrong - I have an almost 2 year old as evidence of her amazing work. LOVE Dr. Hatch - she is like family.

Sep 25th, 2012

Dr. Hatch spent over. 3 hours with me during my consultation. She seems very nice, caring and honest. So far so good

|  Grateful for Dr. Hatch  |  show details
Oct 29th, 2011

we went to Dr. Hatch based on a referral and have never been sorry about that decision. She was amazing. She is so caring and her entire staff was considerate. Yes, she was outside our insurance, but she had the diagnosis correct within 2 months of seeing her. So yes, we spent a some extra money, but it was so worth it. Before Dr. hatch, our obgyn stalled for 2 years before we gave up with her and switched to Dr. Hatch. What a difference. More aggressive approach, but considerate of your budget and emotions. So thankful that after 3 months with Dr. Hatch, we were able to get pregnant and Dr. Hatch made sure our pregnancy got off to the right start.

|  PROUD DAD  |  show details
Aug 24th, 2011

I was going to recommend Dr Hatch to a friend who is trying for her second child and I was dismayed by some of the negative comments about the wait times.We experienced some of the same, but when we had our appointment with Dr Hatch, she made us feel like the most important people in the room and gave us hope and confidence that we would acheive our goal. Anyway we LOVED Dr Hatch and she gave us a BEAUTIFUL boy!Needless to say the Dr we had before Dr Hatch had a crappy, impatient, egotistical, manner(and he was a man.....can't get my head around how a guy can understand what a women is going thru)...so I fired him. Sometiimes these guys don't understand that they are your employee:)))

|  Don't be Fooled  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2011

Don't be fooled by all the baby photos in the framed shadowboxes on the wall. If a picture was taken for every woman who was not successful on her attempt to get pregnant and have a baby by IUI or IVF, these fertility doctors' walls, floors, and ceilings would be completely covered and layered with photos. For most folks, it doesn't work, and that's not being negative, that's a fact. It's like playing the lottery. My biggest complaint about this doctor is, after my last IVF embryo transfer, she looked me right in the eyes and told me, "you know you're pregnant now" which was a total lie. You aren't pregnant until the embryo(s) attach themselves to your uterus wall! I understand that she was trying to get me to "think positive", but outright lying is just plain wrong!

|  Love Dr. Hatch & Staff  |  show details
Jul 8th, 2011

After seeing the other comments, I needed to chime in. Yes, the wait time can sometimes be ridiculous. Yes, sometimes you see the PA (both of who are great). Yes, it's annoying when you have to wait that long to get seen but I love these ladies. After going to their office on and off for 3 years, they feel like they have become part of my family and they really only want what is best for me. If an expert is what you are looking, look no further than Dr. Hatch.

May 25th, 2011

Dr. Hatch is a wonderful doctor and person. I have tree wonderful kids thanks to her and her staff. Yes, the office seems unorganized sometimes and the wait time is ridiculous, but she really cares about her patients. The office would be a lot better if things were more organized and she wouldn't be running late most of the time. Still, I would go back to Dr. Hatch for more children, she is the best.

May 15th, 2011

Love, love her. She is an incredible good doctor. Very personable and very caring and she does not give up.

|  Dr. Hatch Great! Insurance Claims Girl not so great!  |  show details
Mar 12th, 2011

Dr. Hatch was great! Majority of the girls were good the one I had an issue with was the girl who handled the insurance claims. She insisted that my insurance did not cover any of my appointments or labs. I checked before I made my appointment so I had confirmed my coverage and several more times. After about a month and a half of trying to get this resolved, the girl kept on telling me the same thing and saying she did check with my insurance, in which she nor anyone at Dr. Hatch's had called my insurance to check. She finally submitted the claims and they were all paid the day after they were submitted. I would love to go back to Dr. Hatch's but the whole experience put a bad taste in mouth after that, I didn't trust they had my best interest, can you imagine what we women go thru if we're seeing a fertility dr and having to deal with insurance on top of that. It's just too emotionally draining. There must be other GREAT fertility doctors out there with an amazing staff to go with it.

|  awesome doctor  |  show details
Dec 15th, 2010

i like her so much .she helps me out in all probs and she is a very good adviser and an excellent doctor

|  Too many patients  |  show details
Oct 31st, 2010

TTC for 2 years and after 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, I was referred to Dr. Hatch by my Primary Care Physician. Under Dr. Hatch's care, I have gone through one "natural" cycle, one Clomid cycle, and one injection/IUI cycle. I do believe that Dr. Hatch truly cares about the well being of her patients; however, I will not be returning to this clinic.I agree with other reviewers in that I rarely got to see Dr. Hatch in person; instead, I saw the nurse or PA. This is OK with me as long as there is good consistency and "continuation of care". Instead, each visit felt like I was starting over - the nurse/PA/MD often had no idea what happened during my previous visit(s) because it had not been adequately documented in my chart. This really got disturbing during my IUI cycle when I had to go in every day (for u/s during injections), and still on Day 6 Dr. Hatch had forgotten that I had started injections. Or on Day 9 when the nurse asked me, "Are we doing an IUI this month?" because there were no notes in my chart. There was no well-defined course of treatment; it felt like we were "winging it" from one visit to the next.Out of roughly 20 office visits, my shortest wait time was 30 minutes. The longest wait was 2 hours (1 hour in the waiting room, and 1 hour sitting half-naked in the exam room). Typical wait time is 45 minutes (30 min in waiting room, 15 min in exam room). I overheard the front desk staff talk loudly about triple-booking patients as if this was standard practice.In the beginning when I had questions for the doctor, I left messages with the receptionist but I never got a call back. After making several attempts I finally figured out that emailing the IVF coordinator was the only way to ensure a message was given to Dr Hatch.I do get the sense that they schedule unnecessary procedures (mostly bloodwork HCG even if a home test is negative, or progesterone even while Im taking supplements), but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - perhaps they were too rushed to explain why the procedure was necessary?I could go on, but this review is getting long so let me summarize. I believe Dr. Hatch really does care about her patients, that she is not just "after the money". However I can see why other reviewers walked away with that impression. I believe she simply has too many patients - her practice has outgrown the capacity and organization of her staff. The net result: this clinic exudes a sense of chaos, impersonality ("herding cattle"), and leaves the patient feeling uncertain about her future. It's possible they will overcome these obstacles in the future - I do think Dr. Hatch herself is a knowledgeable and caring doctor but the money I am paying is not worth the overall quality of care I receive.

|  Where's Dr Hatch?  |  show details
Jun 4th, 2010

I heard Dr Hatch is good, so I decided to see her. To my surprise, in the months I made appointments, I rarely saw Dr Hatch in the office and have been seeing the nurse assistant and practitioner. The few times I did see Dr. Hatch, she seems in such a rush. Dr. Hatch is a busy women with too many patients and seminars. The wait times are terrible for procedures considering you won't be seen by the MD. Also, seems like they're only after money. My insurance covers certain procedures, but staff would not try billing insurance first. When you try to dispute a bill, the financial administrator is unavailable and will not return your calls. They just bill you in full when you check out or you'll have an added hefty bill on your future visits. Dr. Hatch may be good, but where is she and where is my money going?

May 17th, 2010

How to start the staff she hires are extremely rude and unhelpful. Prepare to wait 45mins to 1 hour for your appointment. Dr. Hatch is all about the money. Turn them and burn them attitude to keep the cash coming in. Worst experience at this office. Your treated like cattle in her office and all you are is a dollar sign on you. Don't walk away from this office, run with your wallet in hand.

Dec 15th, 2009

We adore Dr Hatch and will go back to her for #2. It took a long time to finally have success (1.5 yrs) but she was with me through it all. She won't give up and I'll always be grateful. She kept trying something new and was more than willing to explain everything and listen. Sometimes you wait a long time to get in to your appointment but it is better if you go early in the morning.

|  Long waiting time, staff unprofessional  |  show details
Sep 21st, 2009

Get the appointment fast for subsequent visit, Long waiting time, staff very rude and does not give right information, later charge the money, she is just after money, does not have any analysis on how many of her patients get treated and get pregnant in a month, record are not reviewed after visit.

|  Eve  |  show details
Jun 8th, 2009

Dr. Hatch is wonderful. She was reassuring and timely in figuring out the problem. We got pregnant the second time trying IUI and now have a beautiful healthy baby girl. We can't thank her enough!

Jul 31st, 2008

Dr. Hatch is born to do what she does! She got us pregnant on our first round of IVF. She is very knowledgeable, patient, and truly cares about each and every patient. She is our miracle worker! We were extremely happy and now have a beautiful little girl, thanks to her. We are going back for round two!