Dr. Ingrid Abols-Mantyh MD Patient Reviews

2.5

July 17th, 2014
worst doctor experience of my life
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis back in 2010 by a neurologist who worked in the same clinic as Dr. Abols. He said my MRI made him 98% sure i had MS and that a spinal tap was optional if I wanted to rule out the 2%. I have a fear of needles and the spinal tap terrifies me more than anything so I declined and we moved on to an immediate treatment of steroids to slow down the progression of the current attack and I started Rebif not long after. Later my insurance changed and I was no longer accepted at that clinic. I got better so I never saw another neuro and I stopped the Rebif after 3 months because I could no longer bare sticking myself with a needle despite the auto-injector. Lucky for me I never relapsed until this past month (4 years later). I recognized it quickly; the numbness/tingling was only prevalent in one of my thighs. I went to the ER immediately and the only thing they could do was direct me to Dr. Abols the next morning. When I met with her she ran some simple tests and agreed that I was dealing with an MS exacerbation. She pulled out my old MRI scans and explained old news to me. Then she told me she wanted to put me on Copaxone even though I told her i gave injections a fair try and it didn't work out. Copaxone doesn't even have the auto-inector like Rebif did. When I said I wanted to try pills she ignored me and then went on to tell me that before she will give me any kind of medication, including the steroids to stop the attack from spreading so fast, she would need to do a new MRI as well as a spinal tap. While I expressed how absolutely terrified I was of the spinal tap she abruptly cut me off and said that she can't help me and that she doesn't know many clinics that will. I told her I found that confusing given the neurologist right down the hall from her had no problem with it 4 years ago. She replied with "you can't just go waltzing into a clinic and get steroids whenever you feel like it." I was completely stunned. She treated me as a junkie. I left in the middle of the appointment and went to a different ER. By then i was numb completely in my left side, unable to balance or use my hand at all due to muscle weakness and coordination. They gave me an MRI scan, a steroid infusion after and immediately set me up with their neurologist. The neurologist said that my MRI showed a very clear case of MS and said that any neurologist who can't diagnose MS from my MRI is unsure of themselves. He also prescribed me Tecfidera, a pill form of treatment. Because of Dr. Abols, I have a lot more permanent damage than I should.

March 31st, 2014
Not good for many reasons
She was very quiet and then told me that I am mentally slow. I have a Bachelor Degree and a lot of experience. She told me I need to go to a rehab center without any reasons just by looking at a psychiatry note. She is not compassionate and doesn't give much explaination of the diagnosis, that she so called "Received". Please I urge you to be prepared when you meet her because she is harsh and if you don't defend yourself you should be prepared too. Thank you and God bless you.

September 20th, 2012
I agree with others that Dr. Abols could improve her bedside manner but I've never had an issue or felt put off. I've seen her several times over the years and she's always been direct and straight forward in her approach to getting results. I'm not looking for a friend, just a highly competent doctor.

March 14th, 2012
Just Don't
Everything from a vague diagnosis to refusing to refer, time spent waiting for appts. to staff sometimes being quite rude (especially on the phone). I'm glad some people got appropriate care from her--I did not.

June 23rd, 2011
I had a brain stem stroke
Absolutely excellent care and diagnosis. I knew the staff at Fairview really respected her talents and acted swiftly on her behalf. Because of her diligence in getting me into an intensive rehabilitation program , 2 years later, I can say I have made a full recovery. Her staff was most helpful. I felt like I could have been her only patient.

April 13th, 2011
Bad Experience
She doesn't explain things well, very cold harsh demeanor. I don't trust her very much.

March 2nd, 2011
Big disappointment
I was very disapointed with the way she sped through the visit. She seemed detached to me as a person, did not explain the diagnosis plan. Did not take time to address my concerns, let alone let me finish my sentences! So glad I have an appointment with a different doctor in two weeks. Worst doctor appointment ever in my 50 years of life.

June 10th, 2010
Awful experience
This doctor was one of the rudest doctors I've ever experienced. During our first visit, she asked my sister to spit out her gum because it was distracting her. Didn't know we were going to be concerned about the doctor. I thought we were there to get help for my mother. Dr Ingrid has no bedside manners and is one of the most uncaring professionals out there. I felt like we were just another number to her.