Endocrinologist (diabetes, hormones)

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

• Currently 2.2083333333333 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  uncaring doctor  |  show details
by ms. L on Apr 8th, 2014

Rude, crude uncaring. I waited over one hour each visit. Then he talked to me for less than 6 minutes. However he did not charge me for 6 minutes! I was told he doesn't answer questions he will ask them.

by Vitaly Brukhman on Mar 24th, 2014

I am a cancer survivor of 13 years. I consider myself fortunate to have had a top-notch medical team supporting me in that fight. Dr. Ira J Spiler has been a knowledgeable and thoughtful endocrinology-expert watching over me all these years. His office staff has been helpful beyond their call of duty on multiple occasions. Yes, appointments have to be scheduled far in advance, and there is a significant wait time per visit. This is to be expected..and respected, since in this particular case it is one of the signs of high recognition and demand for Dr. Spiler's advice. Yes, be prepared for a "no-BS" approach. As for me, I'd take nothing but that. Also, while some might have difficulty accepting Dr.Spiler's dry wit and humor, I had enjoyed them for years, and looked forward from visit to visit to our brief conversations-on-a-side. The choice is always yours. I hope this reading was helpful. Be well!

Aug 25th, 2013

Run

Aug 15th, 2013

Horrible doctor..... Terrible disposition.... Has no empathy for his patients at all.... He does not care, and extremely unprofessional...... Run for the hills. Do not go see this doctor at all. Was extremely rude, and totally disrespectful to me, and also hung up the phone on me.....

|  PATIENTS  |  show details
by JAMES MILLER on May 8th, 2013

YOU WALK AWAY FROM , A PATIENT - WHAT KIND OF DR , DOES THAT , ???? ALSO , YOU LET ME WAIT 3HRS - THEN A PA - WANTS 2 TALK 2 ME - YOU HAVE NO TIME , TO SPEAK TO YOUR PATIENTS ???????????????? JUST SEND OUT BILLS - THIS WILL BE LOOKED INTO - ETC ETC - E-MAILS - CALLS - COMPLAINT ETC ETC YOU WILL HEAR FROM , OTHER PEOPLE IN MY FAMILY ... IF U DO NOTHING - - NOTHING GETS DONE SHAME ON YOU , AND YOUR STAFF

|  awful  |  show details
by dave on Mar 11th, 2013

please avoid, he is the worst ever.

|  Saved my life  |  show details
Sep 20th, 2012

I've been his patient for 25 years. He diagnosed a problem no one else could figure out and saved my life. I would not willingly go to anyone else. He does not suffer fools. He is not there to talk about your family or other illnesses. He gives it to you straight. He listens when I describe a problem with medication and is willing to work with me to change it. He knows my issues inside and out, and other doctors have no clue even when I tell them what is wrong. He is not Dr. Kildaire but he is the best.

Sep 9th, 2012

im a nurse who encounters him multiple times and observe his works for years.i mean years. dr spiller may lack & needs the grace of a politician but he can treat your diabetes with accuracy and meticulousness. wonder why other doctors wants him to be consulted for Diabetes problems.i prefer doctors who can be straight and upfront with pt on how to manage their diabetes than MDs who will bow down to pts capriciousness and non-compliant behavior.BUT its your choice!WELL-MANAGED diabetes or still UNCONTROLLED DIABETES with all its LIFE-SUFFERING complications with a sweet-talking-coward-not sure MDs?!. its a FREE WORLD!But I noticed Dr Spiller is improving now on his bedside manners TO PATIENTS AND NURSES, THANK GOD !FINALLY!BSN-RN-MSN-BC

|  rude staff  |  show details
Dec 19th, 2011

there is no need to wait 3 hours in a doctors office. I would not go there again. Thank you, Mrs. Goldberg

|  Seek a better professional; current and better bed side manner.  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2011

Dr. Spilar, as well as his office staff forget they are in a service business of health care to patients. My initial call felt like a military drill Sergeant, then telling me it would be 6 months before I could see the doctor. A short follow-up to my primary doctor (though I noted my referring doctor clearly) and amazingly Dr. Spliar has an opening the next day. In short, Dr. Spilar is easily intimidated from a patient with any knowledge of their health status. He was not reception to my updates or reviews, only interested in his "one size fits all" approach to medicine. My follow-up calls to his office for prescriptins he ordered were met with delays ands carelessness, repeatedly. I actually received a call (due to pre-authorization) requirements from Dr. Spilar telling me "this is a lot of work if my office has to call and complete these forms". My response, was "this is the healthcare system which make you rich and you've helped to create. Don't complain to me." In short, after several weeks of frustration and lacking follow-up, I saw another doctor who found several items Dr. Spilar missed, and shouldn't have. Was it in part that he the radiology group has a posted letter on their wall Dr. Spilar DOES NOT WANT ANY FILMS, only the written report? Hopefully, you get the idea. Dr. Spilar should retire, as this would benefit more patients. I hope this helps. I can not recommend this doctor in good conciseness.

|  Awful!  |  show details
Nov 28th, 2011

Sexist, rude, uninformed and uneducated. If Dr. Spiler has cracked a book open in the last 50 years, he sure doesn't show it. He has no idea what he is doing treating thyroid disease - avoid at all costs.

Aug 10th, 2011

Extremely rude! Arrogant! Unfortunately I have a chance to see him how he treats nurses in the hospital and other healthcare professionals. He has no respect to people, patients, nurses, other doctors, NOBODY at all! I have no idea how some people give him good rates, because his attitude is every time I see him simply RIDICULOUS! i don't care how "good" or accurate he can be with diagnosing an illness, but the whole "package" needs to count as well, and he is lacking the bedside manners. I would never ever recommend this doctor, there are other endocrinologists who are accurate, NICE, give you respect and actually listen, instead of calling you a PSYCHO. He is a psycho himself!

|  RedChariot65  |  show details
Jul 22nd, 2011

Highly knowlegeble. keeps good records. Knows his patients. Very respected in medical community

|  David  |  show details
May 19th, 2011

Most caring and knowlegeable doctor. Very accurate and helpfull. Best staff

|  worst doctor ever  |  show details
Jul 11th, 2010

i do not reccommend this guy

|  horrible doctor  |  show details
May 7th, 2010

dont klnow how he got castle connely top doctor...top doctor is prob a money making organization this guy is really not good.

|  wow this is the worst doctor ive ever hsd  |  show details
by david on Apr 3rd, 2010

ok i went to this guy three years ago., but i was on this site searching for another doctor(since i still haven't found anyone who can help me) and i decided to see how bad this guy was rated. TO MY SURPRISE this guy is a castle connely top doctor, and has a few positive comments.let's first start with ease of appointment, i had to wait 10 months for an appointment with this guy, and i have a brain tumor, good luck getting in for anything else.as far as diagnosis and bedside manner. god this guy is the worst. he walks in and says tell me whats wrong i don't have all day, and when i tell him my labs come out low normal but i have a tumor causing me pain he says im CRAZY and PSYCHOTIC and my tumor isn't causing me pain because my labs are normal. the whole reason i got the labs done in the first place was because i am in constant pain. i went to this doctor at age 18 and i am 21 now, and he still has left such a sour taste in my mouth that i still had to write this..he tries to make you think its all in your head. i hate doctors like that.

Nov 17th, 2009

I have been a patient for 2 years and he is wonderful. He is very straight forward and lets you know what needs to be done and he expects you to be an adult and take responsibility for your disease.

|  joe  |  show details
by joe on Nov 10th, 2008

Great doctor, Top Doctors Award given to him. Friendly, experienced and helped me with my diabetic problem. I highly recommend.

|  Arrogant!  |  show details
by Justine on Aug 26th, 2008

This doctor is rude, arrogant and very disrespectful. In his bio of me his facts are WRONG. He is disorganized and loses important information he claims we're never given to him. But since he can't even find my find my file now, I have no chance of recovering any testing procedures and surgeries that I have recently been through. I do not recommend him. If he is even a good doctor it is too hard to see through his terrible attitude. I would hate to burden him any longer with my phone calls as he so casually acts diverted each time. DON't give this horribly rude man a chance!!!!