Dr. Irene Wapnir Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Irene Wapnir?

Lung Cancer

Lung Cancer

Have you seen Dr. Irene Wapnir?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

September 15th, 2017

Make sure you have a big lump before your visit!

I just returned from a dismissive, unprepared and almost humiliating second opinion at Stanford with Dr. Wapnir. I am a 44 yr old woman, post menopausal due to full hysterectomy, but on HRT with an extensive family history of breast cancer including my father! My symptoms are a sudden case of mastitis, again I'm 44 and have no cycle. I do not smoke nor am I diabetic so obviously something set off my breast. She did not have the opportunity to review my prior films that date back to 1999 and clearly show the change and swelling in my left breast. But she informed me that I do not have breast swelling it's probably just age related and I'm lucky I don't have cancer. Two other doctors have noted my left arm lymphadema associated with whatever is happening in this breast but since both my arms measured perfectly symmetrical ... I do not have arm swelling. It doesn't take a Stanford professor to know that your dominant arm is usually larger. My husband's measured an inch larger, my son's over an inch. So since I am right handed my arm is swollen and it appears swollen ... AS DOES MY BREAST! But Dr. Wapnir has a sabbatical planned and made it very clear she didn't want to deal with my case because it doesn't "scream cancer". I wonder if the thousands of other high risk women whose cases didn't scream cancer but were caught early would feel if they had this level of patient care. It appears that one must form a very large tumor that has to be felt through dense lumpy breasts to be even considered for further diagnostic care from Dr. Wapnir. If you don't have an obvious lump make sure you don't visit her, especially before she goes on a sabbatical. Have a great time on your break meanwhile I'll be here with an achy heavy breast ... oh yeah but breast cancer doesn't present that way. Maybe when you return I'll have that tumor that you can feel.

March 2nd, 2015

Uncommunicative

The staff that work under Dr. Wapnir seem very unhappy working with her. The receptionists and assistants are super stressed out. Her nurse quit. The anesthesiologist had a meltdown right in front of me because he couldn't take any more of Dr. Wapnir's behavior. As a patient, I found Dr. Wapnir to be extremely uncommunicative and, frankly, bizarre. She treated me like I was a specimen -- not a human being.

August 6th, 2014

Outstanding surgeon and person

I don't think anyone going to see Dr Wapnir is a happy person at the present time so I know she deals with a lot of emotional people, including me. I had a very difficult time accepting I had cancer and she always encouraged me but in an honest way. She left my breast looking pretty darn good considering all it went through. I trust Dr. Wapnir completely, and I'm a tough customer believe me. I'm an NP so I've known a few doctors in my life, and I know a good one when I see one, and Dr. Wapnir is outstanding! I go to her for everything concerning my cancer, imaging, meds, etc because I couldn't find anyone I trust like I trust her. I'm willing to drive 1 1/2 hours to see her because I know I'm getting superior care. She's the complete package- superior surgical skills with a wonderful bedside manner. Definite recommend!

February 25th, 2017