Dr. Irene Whitt Is this you?

3.4

Have you seen Dr. Irene Whitt?

Highly Recommeded: Warm, bright, committed to patients

Posted on January 25th, 2014

I write this as an experienced nurse and current PhD student in a medical field. So, I'm not a doctor, but between my nursing career and my 20+ years of being a rheumatology patient, I've worked with a *lot* of doctors. Dr. Whitt combined a warm, compassionate bedside manner with comprehensive command of her field and the most recent data and literature (I know because I double-checked everything; I have access to the same medical libraries she does). She did the most thorough exam I have ever experienced, down to every knuckle and toe joint. She is the rare practitioner that won't rely only on lab and radiographic diagnostics--she pays attention to clinical presentation and exam findings. She listens well. I also appreciated her conservative approach with many of the rheum medications that have intense side effects. She took time to answer all of my questions (and I had a lot of questions) and I left feeling that we had a significant enough time together that she really understand my values, goals and expectations. I have had more disempowering and frustrating experiences with rheumatologists than I can count, but for as long as she'll see me, Dr. Whitt will be my doctor. She listens, she explains, she's friendly and focused. And maybe best of all, she's brilliant. Rheumatology providers always have packed schedules. According to the nursing staff (who all love Dr. Whitt), she will often run behind because she takes time with every single patient and her patients love her so much that they want to visit with her. Fortunately, though, the check-in staff lets you know the wait time. I would plan ahead, though, by bringing a book or newspaper to read or some work to do--though this is good advice for any medical appointment! --On balance, I'll take a doctor that runs behind because she takes time to answer questions and do thorough exams over someone who's on time and barely looks at me before doing his computer charting. Go see Dr. Whitt. Well worth the wait.

Posted on July 8th, 2013

Textbook method of diagnosis. I think she used a checklist for questions with no room for answers that did not fit into a box. Did not seem to take my concerns seriously. Did not seem to believe how debilitating my symptoms were. Totally unproductive visit.

Posted on November 15th, 2016