Some ratings provided by DrScore.
RN show details RN
by PCC on May 10th, 2016

I have been a nurse for over 25 years and during that time, I picked up a second job, while working in the ICU at CPMC, in the recovery room at Mount Zion. It was at that time, almost 20 years ago, that I learned of Dr Eshima. He had a steady stream of "socialites" coming through and I knew he had to be someone special. I was in my early 30s at the time and not in need of cosmetic surgery, but his name was firmly planted in my mind as the one to go to. Fast forward two kids and almost two decades later, having now changed fields entirely and practicing medical aesthetics for almost 10 years, it was time! I developed a keen eye for the study of the aging face during my medical aesthetics training and at some point realized the fillers, Botox and lasers were just not enough. Gravity had taken ahold of my face and neck, coupled with a loss of elasticity and in order to keep an aesthetically natural appearance, surgery was in order. I called Dr Eshima. During the consultation, Dr Eshima evaluated my face, stated I was a bit early, but that I had a good eye when I pointed out the things that bothered me. He also pointed out that I would benefit from a lip shortening procedure and I knew instantly, that he was right. Because of my background in aesthetics, I know that being "long in the lip" is a very aging characteristic and that our eye does not always know specifically why someone looks old, but that this is one of those major indicators. If at rest, we part our lips slightly and cannot see the bottom tips of our top teeth, we are considered "long in the lip". In spite of Dr Eshima telling me to get at least 5 other consultations, I knew there was no other. Dr Eshima is world renown for his lip shortening procedure because of his meticulousness and art of suturing. It is three layers of intricate specialized knots, where he takes the time to make sure the looped knots are under the suture line, so there is absolutely no tension on the incision, ensuring minimal scaring. He also has a skillful ability to tuck and hide the scars, so they are virtually undetectable, creating a very natural, but refreshed look. Dr Eshima has treated wealthy people from all corners of the world, including Paris, Geneva, Dubai, Australia and the list goes on... He has worked on academy award winning actors/actresses, famous models and even royalty. We never discussed names, but because I know what to look for, I can guess with some certainty who these celebrities are. With over 27 years of experience and over 14,000 procedures, I was in a perpetual state of excitement that he was going to be my surgeon. I had my surgery in Feb, 2016 and my life has been renewed! He took years off my face and I tell everyone it has been the best antidepressant I've ever had. Now when I look in the mirror, I more closely match how I feel and I am no longer brought down by my saggy wrinkly skin. I know if I only had the lower face and neck lift, without addressing the lip shortening issue, my surgery would not have been as successful. It is amazing the difference that small, but very key feature makes in making me look younger. Absolutely no sign of a scar, as it is tucked very carefully in the natural fold at the base of the nose. I literally was able to go to lunch with my husband, on day six, when my drains were pulled, without anyone noticing the sutures under my nose! I cannot say enough about Dr Eshima and his entire staff. His practice is like a finely tuned machine and it runs like clockwork. He may be more expensive than most plastic surgeons in the area, but you get what you pay for and it isn't something I would want to chance with a bargain basement deal! Thank you, Dr Eshima, you are a master of your craft!!!

AS good as it gets show details AS good as it gets
by ALB on Apr 28th, 2016

Dr Eshima and his team (Cathy & Magali) are as good as it gets. They are all caring and professional. They make sure that you understand everything pre and post-op. They call you every day (several times post-op) to make sure that you are progressing as you should be and make sure to answer any questions you might have. I am now 6 months post surgery and no one knows what I had done, but everyone compliments me on looking so well and refreshed. The ones who know all agree that I look 10 years younger...That was my goal. To have subtle changes, not drastic ones. I couldn't be more pleased with the results of my surgery and highly recommend Dr. Eshima and his skilled hands.

Mar 28th, 2016

This is a long overdue review due to my procrastination. In 1997 I had a face/neck lift, endoscopic brow lift. Since then I've seen Dr Eshima twice over the years for consultation on whether he thought any more work should be done. His verdict, None. I look great! Hardly any different from years ago. Dr Eshima is an outstanding artist-surgeon. If you want a natural beautiful flawless result that will take and keep years off your face, this is the surgeon who will do that. He is the best of the best and a gift to his patients because of his fine unmatchable skills. He is non-intimidating, warm, easy to converse with and gives you thorough answers to any of your questions. The care you receive is impeccable. If you can give yourself this gift, do it. He is one of the greats.

Jan 31st, 2016

Dr. Eshima is the best of the best !!

THE BEST show details THE BEST
by Jacqueline on Jan 19th, 2016

Dr. Eshima and his wonderful team are exceptional is every aspect. Over ten years ago, I was given Dr. E's name from a family friend who had gone to him. I was amazed at how wonderful she looked. Hmmmm....if I ever consider having "work done", this is the doctor I would go to. When I began considering a procedure, I did my research. The reviews confirmed my strong faith that he was one of the best in his field. I was so lucky to live near San Francisco so that was a bonus! I scheduled the initial consultation and of course, Dr. E encouraged me to meet with other doctors before making my decision. This concept was not even on my agenda! He was "the chosen one". And, how ecstatic I am with the results. I am 9 months post surgery. I emphasized that "less was more" as I did not want in any way to look like I had "work done". The family members and friend that "know I had a procedure" are AMAZED at how I look. What is also critical to note is how well you are taken care of by his staff from the minute you walk into his office for the first consultation to ... well, they really emphasize if you have any issues/concerns even after your last appointment to call and they will always be there for you. All of can say is THANK YOU to Dr. E and his staff. Your commitment, dedication, expertise, friendliness and warmth were truly appreciated. jba

Highly Skilled, Artistic, Passionate and Personable show details Highly Skilled, Artistic, Passionate and Personable
by TravelGal on Dec 2nd, 2015

I was referred to Dr. Eshima by my Stanford trained dermatologist who sees surgery results from a wide range of plastic surgeons. She told me flat out that Dr. Eshima is the best. Dr. Eshima doesn’t advertise nor does he have a web presence. All of his patients are from professional referrals, client referrals and estheticians. He has practiced over 25 years and he specializes only in the neck up. During his tenure, Dr. Eshima has performed 1000s of procedures. He’s so passionate about his work that he rarely takes vacations. His credentials are top notch and he’s personable, energetic, a clear communicator and a good listener. His patient base is very international and includes models, news professionals and Academy award actress/actors; and he/staff are very discrete. His operating facility is located within St. Francis Hospital, San Francisco and his regular surgery team - nurses, anesthesiologist and office staff, etc. - is professional and personable. As proof of his artistic skills, Dr. Eshima has 1000s of before/after patient photos and his results are very natural and artistic which sold me on the spot. Even though I went to get help with droopy Asian eyes and plan ahead for my neck, I ended up doing it all at once (eyes/alars/lip/lower face/neck) because his photos blew me away. Most photos that I see (including everything available on the net) may make a person look more rested; but not necessary more attractive because something gets out of balance. Dr. Eshima, on the other hand, will suggest small tweaks that will balance out your face and bring back the V of a more youthful look. He’s shows you how he accomplishes this via patient photos and it’s easy to see how small changes can make a huge difference. He doesn’t push things on you and again, his tweaks are subtle. His handiwork and technical approach are bar none and he does not rush his surgeries; i.e., mine was over 7 hours. I have complete faith in him and even went back for Asian rhinoplasty. I travel to/from Hawaii and the results are worth the extra time and expense. His prices give me major sticker shock. But, his handiwork gave me back my cheekbones, youthful eyes (without the deer in the headlight look), a neck from 30 years ago and a more refined nose. My earlobes even came out nicer than before. I had a few small hiccups along my journey and Dr. Eshima never hesitated to fix them. To insure success, bring Dr. Eshima photos from your youth and be clear about your priorities to insure that you are both on the same page. Dr. Eshima and his office staff (Magaly and Kathy) are simply the best.

Outstanding and beautifying show details Outstanding and beautifying
by Mary Myers on Sep 3rd, 2015

I researched prior to my visit with Dr. Eshima and was very excited to be accepted as a patient. I knew immediately upon our appt. he was outstanding in knowledge and I had already seen his hands on work. His staff is amazing also in their knowledge, care and comfort giving. I only wish I was younger so that I could have more work done by this great surgeon.

Excellence show details Excellence
by EP on Jul 8th, 2015

Dr. Eshima is excellent! I would recommend him to anyone. He has a penultimate aesthetic, and his work is perfection. He did an upper lip lift on me, to correct an imbalance after an accident--and it made me look years younger, and exquisitely improved the proportion of my face. I am planning on seeing him for future procedures as well. He is the best!

Bright Eyes show details Bright Eyes
Jun 30th, 2015

Dr. Eshima is totally honest and easy to talk with. He gave me excellent advice by telling me to get contacts and not surgery now. He told me to show my "exceptional" eyes more. When I am ready for an eye lift, Dr. Eshima will be my doctor. He showed me pictures with results of his work and he does turn back the clock in a natural way. Bravo.

May 14th, 2015

It had been a few years and I was ready to go back to my trusted plastic surgeon from the South for some minor touch up to my face and see what he thought about my neck. I had had a “mini” facelift a few years prior and at that time had researched until I found someone that fit all the criteria I was looking for. He had all the board certifications you are advised to look for, he had been featured in major magazines, he had amazing before and after photos, he was a pioneer in his specialty and taught other physicians across the country. But when I tried to contact him for a second appointment I found out his license had been taken away and his office closed. I was absolutely shocked and horrified to learn that he had been caught allowing a nurse to perform some of his procedures and had been involved with a couple of his staff members. My faith in the system was shaken to its core. I counted myself very fortunate indeed that something devastating didn’t happen to me. With much trepidation I researched again for many months before I came across Dr. Eshima in San Francisco. Instead of Skyping I decided to fly to San Francisco from Tennessee to meet him face to face and take in his surroundings for myself. I work in the medical field and one of the first things that impressed me about his office was that it was a normal looking medical office. It was beautiful, neat and not at all ostentatious. I was impressed with his nurse and office manager, Cathy and Magaly. They were very nice, treated me with respect and did not look plastic. Then I met Dr. Eshima. He was kind and patient as he listened to my story. He told me about himself and his medical practice and showed me more before and after photos than I had ever seen. They were all very beautiful and natural looking faces, several were actually stunning. I could tell he not only had the technical ability, but also the artistic ability necessary to performing outstanding work. He has a charming personality and is very down-to-earth, which makes him easy to talk with. I was also very impressed that he does all his surgery in the St. Francis hospital across the street, not in his office. If anything were to go wrong, you are in a hospital environment and there are many hospital employees present. After my prior experience I will never again go to a surgeon who only does surgery in his own clinic. After our consult I scheduled my appointment and had the surgery. Mary Kay was wonderful in helping me get through that first day. Magaly was vigilant with her constant contact to make sure I was doing well and following orders. Now a little over a year out I feel that I look stunning too compared to my before photos. I am in my early 50’s, but people are shocked when they learn that I have a 30 year old son. Dr. Eshima told me in the beginning that I only needed a little work done, but sometimes the little things have the biggest impact. I plan to go back for the rhinoplasty I have always wanted and my physician husband is going for a little work also. He was worried sick about me going the first time, but after talking with Dr. Eshima himself, he felt that I was in very good hands. Also in my research I found that Dr. Eshima has served on several boards and gives back to the community and that impresses me about him as a human being. It was extremely hard to find any information on him, but I like that he is not a self-promoter. Please be careful in making your choice for a plastic surgeon. You only have one life and one face.

by Debra H. on May 7th, 2015

I've always looked young for my years but at 49, my drooping eyelids (with ptosis in the left eye) were becoming a giveaway to my actual age. The woman who does my botox and fillers said Dr. Eshima was hands down the best and the only Dr. she would trust with her face. When I met with Dr. Eshima, I appreciated his confidence and credentials, but I was most impressed with his before and after photos. The results were striking and yet absolutely natural looking--just what I was hoping for. The faces had not been wiped clean of their personalities and replaced with that generic plastic surgery look. I knew that if I had the courage to have surgery, it would be with Dr. Eshima. Because I was taking 2 weeks off from work, I asked Dr. Eshima about "doubling up" and using the recovery time to include a lower facelift. Instead, Dr. Eshima recommended a less invasive lip shortening to address my concerns around the slight droopiness of my lower face. Again, the photos he showed me achieved results that cannot be replicated with fillers or botox. I moved forward with both procedures. Recovery wasn't fun, but it was exactly as Magaly and Cathy (Dr. Eshima's stellar team) had outlined. I was grateful that they had prepared me so thoroughly and was reassured by their daily calls during my 2 week recovery period. I hadn't told anyone the exact nature of my surgery, so the toughest part of recovery was dealing with the slight swelling--which I covered by wearing glasses. That said, I was back to work after 2 weeks, without attracting attention or comments. Six months later, I am still astounded that I was daring enough to give myself the best 50th birthday present I could have ever imagined. In addition to loving my eyes (one of my best features that had disappeared under droopy eyelids), I was beyond thrilled with my lips. I hadn't realized how much I missed having a full upper lip. With the lip shortening, my lips look naturally full, so buying and wearing lipstick is once again a pleasure. The ptosis in my left eye has been corrected and both eyelids are full and natural looking--it's been a blast wearing bolder eye make-up and experimenting with new colors. The biggest surprise has been the growing confidence boost I've experienced in both my professional and personal life. I didn't realize the degree to which I had been hiding in plain sight. As a cancer survivor, I wondered if it was "worth it" to invest in cosmetic surgery and felt guilty about spending money on myself. I'm so glad I didn't let these doubts hold me back. Yes, the compliments ("did you do something to your hair?" or "you look too young to have a teenager") are great, but there is a personal affirmation that I didn't expect, and that is the real gift

Fiction vs Fact (or where or where is the moderator here....) show details Fiction vs Fact (or where or where is the moderator here....)
by Ivy on Apr 11th, 2015

Before I post my review, let me just say that Dr. Eshima is one of the most kind, decent and amazing men I have ever met. There are people in this world who choose cosmetic work to make them the person they would not be otherwise. Cosmetic surgery will change your appearance, but unfortunately only you can do the work to change your personality to one of grace and humility. The reasons I chose to do this, were staying in a 21 year loveless marriage and wanting a "reboot" on the life I thought I lost. Dr Eshima listened to my story and made no promises, telling me what was possible and to go home and think about it. Let's be clear, this man is NO HACK. People from all over the world fly to have him work on their faces, supermodels, royalty as well as the SoCal Hollyword crowd. I am not wealthy, but those people are. I am sure there are plenty of doctors in Hollywood, New York and Paris. So, why when actresses, models, politicians and royalty's living DEPENDS on their appearance would they choose Dr. Eshima? Simply put, because he is the best. There are angry, disgruntled people in the world and I feel sorry for the person who wrote the mean post. Perhaps they have life issues that compelled them to malign someone who has dedicated his life to helping people. Dr Eshima is not just a surgeon, but truly an artist. I wish that person could spend the day with me and see how at age 60 I turn heads, I look 40 and I am now working on packing 2 lifetimes of happiness into the years I have left, and trust me I am enjoying myself and my results. Most of the other posts have addressed how amazing Dr Eshima's work is. I went to a well known Bay Area spa for thermolage to tighten my sagging 59 year old skin. They told me there was no chance it would work, I needed a face lift. Luckily, they told me they got to see lots of doctors work, and the one that did consistently beautiful, NATURAL work, was Dr Eshima. Save money on everything BUT a facelift. Go to the best, get it done right. Dr Eshima is talented, warm, funny, a genuine nice guy with great patient rapport. I agree with all the other posters on their assessments of his surgical talents, so I thought I would share some of the reactions I have gotten on my "renewal".... I needed some makeup at Nordstrom. The makeup artist was matching my foundation, and paused. She said "Can you tell me your daily cleansing and moisturizing regimen, your skin is gorgeous" I laughed out loud, and did not want to seem rude so I told her the 6 weeks ago I had a lower face lift. She was shocked. She told me she worked for 15 years in Boca Raton. She called it "home of the facelift". She said she would not have asked the question if she thought I had a facelift. She said mine was the only face in all her years that she could not tell and the best one she has ever seen. My co workers just look at me, and when they find me alone ask questions. "You look so beautiful" "you look 20 years younger" "You look so happy" I could go on and on...I tell them I lost some weight and had been exercising, some really push and to them I whisper, "If you must know I did some botox" Six months later my co-workers continue to tell me I look like I am "reverse aging". Part of it is just the pure joy this has brought. The work Dr Eshima did was skin deep, the rest is up to you. Be in a place where you are happy and secure, your life is full and this is just the icing on top. This will not erase all the heartache and unhappiness in your life, to do that you need a different kind of doctor. In some store a few days ago and the salesperson says "Miss, can I help you?" He was so close I looked around to see who he was talking to. LOL, he was talking to me....I've been a m'am for the last 20 years.... I go to ballroom dance at the junior college Friday nights. It is a mix of students and people in their late 50's and 60's, even a few in their 70's. I am not used to men talking to me much...I have spent the last 18 years immersed in my children's lives and working multiple jobs, doesn't leave much free time for socializing. Anyway one man who has been in my class for the last year, was dancing with me, and said "Did you cut your hair" (it was down and I thought a mess) so I said "yes" He said "Wow, it is so flattering, you look gorgeous" Just said "Thanks". Another man said, "That dress looks great on you" Mind you I have worn that dress before and no compliments..... Last fall I went to Salsa Halloween part at Allegro Ballroom in Emeryville (which by the way is a great, safe fun place to dance and learn)... Danced until I thought my feet would fall off. Partners of all ages, but, the compliments NEVER stopped. I got asked for my number more times than I have in my ENTIRE life. The compliments....my head was just swimming. I just want to pinch myself. So much fun. After the seven year divorce from H**l, life has begun again, and it's not good, it's great. Finally Dr Eshima's staff (Magaly and Cathy) are the best. I don't want to forget to mention that I also had a lip lift, the scar under my nose is so tiny and more teeth showing definitely are a component of looking more youthful. This is a tricky piece of surgery and if you are looking for someone who can do it right, that alone should make you consider Dr Eshima. So much better than Botox and it will last......

Dr. Eshima is Tops show details Dr. Eshima is Tops
by Jan on Dec 14th, 2014

People have always said I looked ten years younger than I actually was. Then, over the past three years I started to develop the telltale signs of aging: jowls and a crinkly- skinned neck. Though my skin laxity was mild compared to others my age and my husband continued to think I was beautiful it really bothered me. When I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I saw a dour looking woman even though I felt happy on the inside. I had become very self-conscious wearing turtle-neck sweaters which seemed to accentuate the loose skin around my lower face and neck. I began to think I just might have plastic surgery to correct what I didn’t like seeing. So began my thoughtful approach to finding a plastic surgeon I could entrust my face to. For me, the doctor I would choose would have to be a seasoned surgeon with impeccable credentials, a highly ethical practitioner whose surgical results I found beautiful on someone I knew and in the before and after photographs of other patients. Moreover, the reviews of past patients would have to be excellent. My search led me to the office of Dr. Issa Eshima. It has now been four months since my surgery. I feel fortunate to have had Dr. Eshima as my plastic surgeon. He blends the highest level of surgical skill with an artistic eye to restore beauty and balance to a face and neck that had sagged with advancing age. Dr. Eshima, I feel, is conservative in his approach. He listened attentively to my concerns and he discussed viable surgical and non-surgical options. He did bring my attention to a feature that was out of esthetic balance and which I was unaware of. When I came to Dr. Eshima I was fixated on my sagging jowls and neck. I thought my eyes looked a little dull, but I never considered that plastic surgery could brighten their look. Thankfully, Dr. Eshima brought to my attention that one eyebrow was lower than the other and that by raising that one to match the height of the other and removing the excess skin on my eyelids he could achieve a more open and brighter look for my eyes. Due to my inherent trust of Dr. Eshima I agreed to have these procedures done and I couldn’t be happier with the results. On the other hand, I thought my skin could benefit from a chemical peel and Dr. Eshima didn’t concur. He doesn’t do procedures which won’t in his estimation enhance one’s beauty. I respect him for his honesty and high ethical standards. Dr. Eshima is tops in enhancing one’s beauty while achieving very natural results. I look like myself but with brighter looking eyes and a jaw line and neck that look twenty years younger. What I have found interesting are the responses of friends and acquaintances. One month after my surgery people I ran into were commenting on how beautiful my skin looked. Two months after my surgery a friend who I hadn’t seen in months and who didn’t know that I had a face-lift looked at me and said, “ you look great”. She is an artist and actress with a keen eye for beauty. The most poignant response was by a very close friend whose eyes teared and said “you look so beautiful, like you did twenty years ago”. I think the most humorous response is by another friend who is an artist and photographer who thinks the change he sees in me is from a change in make-up. He said I look so much more beautiful with softer colors. The response that has surprised me the most is that people outside of my close circle of friends seem more open and friendly. I can only attribute this to the renewed kinder expression on my face which really matches who I am on the inside. I could go on and on about Dr. Eshima’s lovely office and caring office staff, his loving and skilled post-surgical nurses, and excellent anesthesiologist who I felt was top-notch, but I’ll let those of you who find your way to Dr. Eshima’s office discover this on your own. I just want to thank Dr. Eshima for a more beautiful me. I have only tears of gratitude for you.

Chin Augmentation/Liposuction show details Chin Augmentation/Liposuction
Nov 3rd, 2014

As someone with a small chin and diminishing jawline, I have always admired other women with strong jawlines. When I looked in the mirror I thought my nose looked disproportionately big and my decreasing jawline made me look overweight. After 10 years of feeling this way, I finally decided to take action. I did my research in finding who I thought was the best plastic surgeon for this procedure. Long story short I felt very confident that Dr. Eshima was this surgeon based on other yelp reviews, a truthful recommendation that came from someone that worked in another plastic surgeon's office and my office visit with Dr. Eshima. Dr. Eshima doesn't have a website, so you'll need to make an appointment to see his before/after photos but they are very impressive. More so than any of the photos I had googled. When meeting with Dr. Eshima I liked that I didn't feel like I was being sold at all. He told me that I had a nice face already and that I didn't need to do anything. After I told him what I wanted, we came up with a plan that we both thought would achieve the best result. It was nerve racking but I made the appointment. I will say that when I took off the bandage, 3 days post-op, I was scared my chin was too big. Now I know that it was DEFINITELY swollen. It was about 4 weeks until I really started loving my new look and feeling normal. Dr. Eshima and his team (Magaly and Kathy) were so great with follow-up. They called me every day for the 1st week after surgery and made appointments every other week after that. I never had unanswered questions or concerns. You are really in good hands. Fast forward 4 months post operation....I couldn't be happier! The surgery feels like ancient history and I can honestly say that when I look in the mirror I LOVE the way I look! My only wish is that I would have done this sooner. I am so glad I went with Dr. Eshima. After just seeing how small differences (swelling) can affect the overall look, I realize that it is truly an art to be just perfect. Dr. Eshima is truly skilled in his craft.

Asian Rhinoplasty show details Asian Rhinoplasty
by Amy on Sep 26th, 2014

I am a little over my one year anniversary of my rhinoplasty, and I am more in love than ever! My new nose has become more lovely than I even imagined it would be. My asian nose was pretty flat in the bridge, so Dr. Eshima took cartilage from my ears, diced it, rolled it in fascia, and created a beautiful bridge for my nose. In addition to it being all natural instead of an implant, not a single person has yet to tell me that there is something different about my face...that is how NATURAL Dr. Eshima made me look! I, however, notice a dramatic and fabulous change in the way my face looks (especially in photographs). Now that I know what a natural and amazing Asian rhinoplasty looks like, it's easy for me to spot the poorly crafted ones. I am SO thankful to Dr. Eshima for creating a nose for me that flows in harmony with the rest of my features; his skill is unparalleled. Moreover, his staff, Magaly and Kathy, are so caring and personable, that I feel like I'm interacting with friends whenever I see or talk to them. All in all, I am deeply grateful for the way Dr. Eshima has transformed my face. I genuinely and whole-heartedly recommend him!

Dr Issa Eshima is a Superlative Surgeon- Highly Recommended! show details Dr Issa Eshima is a Superlative Surgeon- Highly Recommended!
by Missy B on Aug 6th, 2014

I’m not one to write reviews, but having personally benefitted from reading the reviews of others for years, I’ve decided to share some of the details of my extraordinary experience with Dr Issa Eshima. I’m a very healthy and fit female in my early 50’s. For the past few years, I had really been struggling to accept the aging process- especially concerning my face- which was sagging at a rapid rate. Droopy eyes and jowls, plus the start of a “turkey” neck. I wanted to regain some vitality and feel attractive again, but only if the results looked completely natural. I would rather have kept my aging appearance, than look like I’ve had any plastic surgery! When my stylist, who’s known me for 10 years, said “Trust me, you need to go see Dr Eshima,” I decided to take the plunge and make an appointment. At my complimentary consultation, I met with Dr Eshima and in short order knew I had found the doctor for me. Not only is he an expert in his field (he performs facial surgery, nothing else, and has over 20 years of experience) but also he has a most impressive set of credentials. (Dr. Eshima was Chief and Director of Plastic Surgery at UCSF/Stanford-Mount Zion Medical Center. Stanford Phi Beta Kappa, and a graduate of the University of California at San Francisco Medical School, he trained in New York under Dr. Thomas Rees, the renowned Manhattan plastic surgeon.) His aesthetic is to create a natural, vibrant version of yourself- a less is more approach that I embraced. I also looked at a stack of before- and-after photos and was completely wowed. Every single woman or man looked fantastic! My surgery was done at St Francis Memorial Hospital, and the staff was terrific- admitting staff, the nurses, and my anesthesiologist- all very friendly and professional. I opted to stay overnight in the hospital the first evening after my surgery, and my private nurse, Kim, was warm and attentive all evening. Afterwards, when I was recovering at home, either Dr Eshima’s office manager, Magaly, or staff member Cathy, called me every day for 2 weeks to check on my recovery. Magaly and Cathy both contributed to my positive experience, from the moment I met them during my first consultation, and throughout my quick recovery. Needless to say, I’m thrilled with the results of my surgery. My husband is equally happy, and frequently tells me I look just like I did when I was in my early 30’s. I think I look like myself, just better. Dr Eshima greatly exceeded my expectations- he’s truly an artist- and I will be forever grateful to him!

Rhinoplasty show details Rhinoplasty
May 14th, 2014

Dr.Eshima deserves every star in the universe!! If you're reading this, you are likely on the hunt for an amazing surgeon. Your search can stop here because Dr. Eshima is the BEST of the best. He shows you before and after photos during your consultation. He answered questions I had before I needed to ask. He told me to continue my search if I needed to. He recommended to bring my family in just in case they had any questions. I hardly had to explain what I wanted because he knew what needed to be done. I was absolutely positive I wanted him to do my surgery after meeting with him the first time. I had a rhinoplasty six weeks ago today, and I am absolutely THRILLED with my results. I loved everything about my nose the minute he removed my splint. Everyday the results get better and better. I'm anxious to see how my nose will look six months post-op. All my friends and family tell me the results look natural. A common theme with all the reviews on Dr. Eshima is how natural the results are, thats what you want from plastic surgery. I am so grateful for Dr. Eshima and his staff! Magaly and Kathy were so amazing. Dr. Eshima was worth every penny. I was not willing to sacrifice my face for a 'cheaper' surgeon, and you should not either! Lastly, he does not ONLY cater to the rich and famous. I am a 26 year old server-mom-student, and my experience parallels with every 5 star review!

Exceptional Doctor show details Exceptional Doctor
by Shiiko Alexander on Mar 31st, 2014

I was a little apprehensive to have my nasal surgery done in San Francisco since I live in New Mexico. But after talking with Dr. Eshima and meeting his staff at the pre-operative consultation at his tasteful office in downtown San Francisco, I knew that I made the right decision. I recovered without any problems and am very happy with the results. I feel very lucky to have found a doctor with such distinguished creditials and reassuring and confident manner.

ASIAN EYELID SURGERY show details ASIAN EYELID SURGERY
by Cece Kim on Feb 21st, 2014

Like many asians I was born without the double eyelids. I've seen about 9 different plastic surgeons to get a free consult to seek the right Dr to give me the eyes that I have always wanted. Every consult visit I have gone to; each Dr showed me before and after pictures of their previous patients. Out of all the 9 Drs visits there was at least one photo where I did not like how one of the patients' eyes turned out after their eyelid procedures. I checked the internet for other Drs that were supposedly the best within the US or the world. Again, 4 out of 5 pictures patients after photos were ok however there was always that one patient that didn't turn out how i would of liked it too. When I saw Dr Eshima's before and after pictures of his patients I did not find one photo that i disagreed with. I was shocked...every single picture was natural, clean and so precise with the right touch. I met Dr Eshima last year for my first consultation for the asian eyelid surgery last year. Dr Eshima off the bat was a very professional Dr like any other doctor. He answered all my questions, told me a little bit about himself and at the end of the consult he did not try to convince me or pressure me to go through with anything. He just told me when I am ready to call or come back as many times as I need to. The beginning of this year I made my second appointment with Dr Eshima. What made me choice Dr Eshima was that his behavior of kindness, the vibe of being a humble man (a vibe that can not be faked) who took pride in his "work of art," his bed side manners and his sense of humor. If your smart enough you can become a doctor, but not everyone can become a artistic doctor with precision and accuracy like Dr Eshima. Dr Eshima was very honest, telling me what might look too unnatural and suggested other routes which I took his advice and now I am so grateful that I had this procure done by Dr Eshima and no one else. From the surgery room to recovery time his staff was awesome! They made sure I felt safe and reassured me that everything was going well. They make sure you are clear about before and after care instructions. On top of that you get a phone call EVERYDAY from his assistants to make sure you are ok. They make sure you are well prepared with medical supplies and medications and answer all questions you have. The procedure was literally PAINLESS! I have never had any clinic, hospitals or Dr offices give such good service like Dr Eshima and staff. I have had prior surgery done before and my previous plastic surgeon and his staff did not treat me the way Dr Eshima and staff did. Their services did not even compare!! At the end its been almost 5 months since my eyelid surgery and I can't say enough how happy I am with my results. I get so many compliments, I have more confidence and I hand out Dr Eshima's phone number constantly because my friends and family ask me who did my eyelid procedure. My look is natural, he fixed my eyes which my skin was drooping and one eye was bigger than the other. Now my eyes are almond shaped, with the right amount of lift and are evenly symmetrical. I am writing this review because of Dr Eshima's skills and services I am such a confident person now with a beautiful face. I have had issues with low self stem-knowing looks can't fix everything but it definitely helped boost my confidence! Dr Eshima is extraordinary and most importantly he knows what he is doing!! THANK YOU DR ESHIMA, MAGALY and CATHY for your kindness and your hard work...I am your walking piece of art!

Proof is in the results show details Proof is in the results
by Amy on Feb 15th, 2014

I am about 4 1/2 months post-op (facelift and upper eyes) and more than pleased with results. Obviously he is an exceptional surgeon as his reputation suggests. And while people may or may not like his approach the bottom line is this....his work is outstanding, the proof is in the results. The before and after pictures prove it and all you have to do is compare his results with the 100's of other results out there (many on the internet). He produces natural looking improvement, particularly around the neck, which I honestly have not seen in any other photos - and I do scour the internet at times. I have no visible scars and while people think I look different, better, lost weight, no one would guess that I had surgery (unless they knew of his work) because they would just think it would not be possible without any scars or looking "pulled". I did not make a decision to have Dr. Eshima perform the surgery based on reviews on the internet; however, the reviews were useful in confiring my decision. Note that the first week of recovery was harder than I anticipated but that is only because I have never had major surgery before (which this is), my C-sections were a breeze compared to this, but Dr. Eshima and his team were there every day to help ease my mind - both over the phone or in person. In fact I had a few instances when I had to call him at night or on weekends (note: this was due to my own clumsiness causing some injuries both pre and post op) and he was always very responsive and gracious in spite of the fact that I was potentially over reacting. Although 3 months is the general timeline for results, I have noticed a very significant change in the past 4 weeks, i.e., after 3 months, as everything settles down. It is such a joy to have a face that reflects how I feel, rather than looking sad, tired, or even cranky as my jowls pulled my mouth down and my eyes were heavy. Now I look normal - my mouth is not frowning when relaxed, my jowls are gone, my eyes are lighter and open, and perhaps best of all, I have a defined jawline like a 20 year old - no sagging neck - none! Stellar results while still looking age appropriate, thanks to Dr. Eshima and his team of professionals.

Dr. Eshima Is Really The Best! show details Dr. Eshima Is Really The Best!
by Lynn on Feb 6th, 2014

Whenever I look in the mirror, I'm reminded how lucky and grateful I am. I feel lucky because I had the courage to have a facial cosmetic procedure done and even luckier that I chose Dr. Eshima to do it. I am in my late 50’s and was feeling that the image staring back from the mirror was not the same person that was looking into the mirror. The person that I saw in the mirror was old and tired looking. Because I’m very active and young in my mind, I was always shocked (and miserable) when I looked at my face and neck in the mirror. I told Dr. Eshima that I wanted to look natural - just not tired and drawn. He listened to me and gave me the most natural result imaginable. No one suspects that I had “work done”. Sometimes people look at me in amazement and say “you just look great!” but they have no idea that I had anything done. Dr. Eshima was patient and highly skilled from beginning to end. Magaly and Kathy were responsive & professional - I couldn’t have asked for more in terms of care, communication and results. I highly recommend this practice to anyone considering facial cosmetic surgery. I am so grateful for Dr. Eshima - I am proof that he really is the very best plastic surgeon in the field.

I traveled from Switzerland. Lip Shortening show details I traveled from Switzerland. Lip Shortening
by Larissa on Jan 13th, 2014

Living in Zurich, Switzerland and working in the media industry I knew I had to be operated by the best. I spent many hours researching, speaking with Doctors, colleagues in my field and friends and finally came across a Plastic Surgeon by the name of … Dr. Issa Eshima. Dr. Eshima is a renowned facial plastic surgeon located in San Francisco, California. He does not advertise and does not have a website, which already says a lot about his reputation. Clearly, in my case it would be much easier to be operated here in Switzerland or in Europe than to travel to the United States. However, I was also fortunate to meet personally with several patients who were operated by Dr. Issa Eshima. The women I met with were all timeless exquisite beauties. I was in awe.!!!! His work was so natural, no one would of ever known they had been operated. Having consulted with several renowned Plastic Surgeon in Europe and the US, I knew that Dr. Eshima was the plastic surgeon for me. During my Skype consultation with Dr. Eshima he suggested a lip shortening procedure would not only rejuvenate my face, but would balance out my facial features and make my eyes appear larger. Dr. Eshima took the time to explain that as we age, the distance between the upper lip and nose becomes longer and looses the youthful contour. After looking at my pictures in my 20’s, 30’s 50’s …I saw that he was right…the distance between my nose and mouth had elongated. The difference with the lip shortening is subtle and yet the results are huge. At first, I was very frightened of the scar, but after seeing several of his patients and knowing his reputation, I knew I was in good hands and had complete trust. After my surgery, there was no pain and no bruising. I was really surprised and was presentable in 1 week. The lip shortening procedure plays a major role in creating youthful proportions. There is a saying in the plastic surgery circles and it goes something like this, "really good cosmetic surgery will make you look better, but, that doesn't mean it will truly make you look younger". Looking naturally younger is really hinged on inclusion of small, well placed subtleties. In my opinion, Eshima is masterful, truly an artistic genius. He shared with me that his mother was an artist and his father was an architect. What separates him from other plastic surgeon is his unique ability to balance out a persons facial features and with minor touches, transform a good-looking person into a human beauty. He has a certain edge in his ability to make a person beautiful. In my case, he suggested a lip shortening. My girl friend who saw me 1 month later said he took 15 years off and my eyes appeared to be much larger. He has an excellent and dedicated team, Magaly and Cathy. Magaly, the Patient Coordinator called on a daily basis, even on Saturdays and Sundays, to check up on my recovery and if I had any questions. This type of service is almost unheard of. If any of you are looking to have aesthetic treatments or procedures- take the time and call the office of Dr. Eshima. He made me look beautiful!

Not 100% Satisfied show details Not 100% Satisfied
by California on Dec 14th, 2013

I am 15 months out from a face and neck lift with lip shortening. While I am pretty happy with the results, I am not 100% satisfied with the work that was done, for a number of reasons. It is true that Dr. Eshima is a talented surgeon. I was referred to him by my own excellent doctor who does not do facial plastic surgery. But, I was not prepared for the hard-core sales pitch EVERY time I met with the doctor. This really put me off. There was absolutely no specific discussion of my corrective needs and desired outcome. Dr. Eshima assured me we would have that discussion, but it never happened. He showed up about ten minutes before I went in to surgery and was already receiving sedation, made some marks on my face, and left. I was not happy about that, but believing I was with 'the best,' tried to allay my anxiety by putting trust in him. Wish I had been more pushy. A lot of facial aging is around the mouth area. I chose Dr. Eshima because of his experience with lip shortening, which I do believe was successful. But, I underwent a very strong chemical peel to correct vertical lip lines with really now change at all. Furthermore, I have discoloration on my upper lip that is permanent. I have since consulted with other doctors about this area of the face and have learned that there are better approaches to improving the appearance of lip lines that I should have pursued. I do not recommend the "TCA Peel" as a remedy. It was over a thousand dollars down the drain with little improvement. I am also not entirely happy with the 'lift' in the center of my face. I still have nasolabial folds that should look better, given his expertise and the extensive nature of my surgery. My weight has stayed the same since surgery. I take impeccable care of my skin, and for my 58 years old, my skin is in excellent condition. Still, I have sagging and lines--some of them I didn't have before the surgery--that should have been corrected. What happened?? I believe that the doctor simply did not do sufficient correction. The office staff is pleasant IF you commit to surgery. Because I am out of state and had a job that required coordinating an extended leave, I was not able to commit to a time frame at my initial meeting. Three months later, when I was sure I could swing the absence at work, the cost had risen 20%! Most doctors--more than 90% of them--honor an estimate for a year. When I asked for reconsideration of this exorbitant increase, I was basically told that Dr. Eshima is sought after worldwide, that very high-profile celebrities use him, etc., etc., etc. This did not sit well with me. The rock star mentality is offensive, especially and particularly from a physician. Looking back, I'm now not sure why I remained a patient. My after care in the hospital, with a separately-contracted private nurse was excellent. I would not have made it through that first night without her. She was with me that whole time, caring for my skin and my comfort and I felt like she was an angel sent from heaven. If you choose to have surgery with Dr. Eshima, pay the extra amount to have this personal attention. Dr. Eshima told me several times "I want you to be 100% satisfied" with the procedure. I am not. But, really. How do you get to that 100%??? That would require additional surgery and I'm not going there. So, to say that, in my opinion, is really quite insincere. The best aspect of my surgery was lip shortening. Not all facial surgeons perform this procedure. But, I would highly recommend seeking other opinions from plastic surgeons and going with the one who is the 'best fit' for you. I don't like arrogance, and that put me off. I don't like hustle, either, especially when it comes to my health and appearance. There are other surgeons out there who do lip shortening who are likely just as good and not as expensive. There are also docs out there who will sit and listen and work with you to address your specific desired outcome. Sure, Dr. Eshima is 'an artist.' I've read that all too often in the reviews. But this is YOUR face, your body, and you live with the outcome. I would recommend Dr. Eshima to my friends as one opinion, with the suggestion to have at least two or three surgeons as possibilities, and with the caveats I've stated here.

Dr. Eshima is truly an artist show details Dr. Eshima is truly an artist
by anonymous on Nov 30th, 2013

My experience with Dr. Eshima was excellent. He was recommended by an OR nurse and a patient. Once I consulted with him I had no doubt he was the surgeon I wanted to trust with my face. I did not bother to see anyone else because I knew he was the best I would find. He is an artist and his medium is the human face. He was professional, caring and charming. He inspires confidence. Magaly, Cathy and MaryKay were also professional, warm and comforting. I am beyond pleased with the result. I am 68 and had extensive work done. But I had relatively little pain, bruising and swelling. Magaly called every day to see how I was recovering and to answer any questions. Between that and a very supportive and attentive husband, my recovery was easy. People who knew I was having the surgery think I look the same but younger and those who don't know haven't said anything except that I look good. This includes family whom I saw about five weeks out. But to me the difference is night and day. It had gotten so I hated to look in the mirror because I was so saggy and puffy. Now I don't mind at all! I am very pleased that I had the facelift and that I found Dr. Eshima to do it.

Dr. Issa Eshima is a fantastic plastic surgeon! show details Dr. Issa Eshima is a fantastic plastic surgeon!
by Laura W on Aug 2nd, 2013

I am a 51 year old woman who has never done any cosmetic procedure until now and I am not a movie star or anything close to being famous. Dr. Issa Eshima is one of the best decision I ever made next to marrying my husband. Dr. Eshima has improved the structure of my nose, transformed my droopy Asian eyes, reduced my chubby cheeks, and removed my saggy neck. After narrowing the procedures I wanted to get done, the search in finding a doctor was the most daunting process. I found lots of plastic surgeons, but they did everything from toes to noses. Through blogs and articles written about the elusive Dr. Eshima, I was able to determine he was no ordinary plastic surgeon. For one, he doesn't have a website or television infomercials about his services. Secondly, people who have written about him say he was fantastic and worth flying all the way from Russia, Dubai, Japan, and other far away countries. Due to confidentiality issues, we will never know who the academy award winning actresses are who have been touched up by Dr. Eshima. Keep in mind, most of Dr. Eshima's patients are based on referrals, i.e. recommendations from other patients. He has no need or desire to advertise so I was calling to make an consultation appointment without a referral from another patient. Most plastic surgeons require a consultation fee, but Dr. Eshima does not charge the normal $150 fee because he does not need to live off of these fees. I decided to combine five small procedures together to reduce the anesthesia and hospital cost: liposuction my neck fat, buccal fat removal ( egg yolk volume of fat in each check) , rhinoplasty (reduce the wide nostril opening), inject Radiesse to create a bridge on the nose, and finally eye lift to remove the heavy lids sitting on my eyelashes. Magaly, Dr. Eshima's assistant, went through the preparations for my operation at St. Francis Hospital which is across from the office. A long check list of what to do and NOT do before and after the surgery was what created the best results in recovery besides the doctor's skill in the operating room. During the entire one week after the surgery, the two assistants Cathy and Magaly, would call to check up on my recovery. There were always questions big or small during this time period, so I was never alone. I loved to hear Magaly's voice assuring me that everything was going well. Dr. Issa Eshima did not make me look like a 25 year old. He made me look beautiful without looking artificial. My new eyes now have a natural crease, a result of his skill in creating a new recessed eyelid from my old saggy Asian eyes . My new nose has a natural bridge which was non-existent until Dr. Eshima injected Radiesse. To reduce my wide nasal passages, he narrowed them down. As a result, my new nose is proportioned to my face. Next to my new nose, my buccal fat in my chubby cheeks (common among asian people) was liposuctioned out from the inside of my mouth (BUCCAL FAT REMOVAL) through two very small incisions near my back molars which I absolutely could not feel! Wow! Finally, my excess neck fat was liposuctioned out through one tiny 1/4" hole under each ear lobe and one hole under the chin. All incisions healed very well in 11 days to the point where my friends all asked "Where are the stitches and scars?" The best compliment came from one friend that said "you look fresh, not stretched". I recommend interviewing other doctors before coming to Dr. Eshima to appreciate how good he is. He is not just a surgeon, he is an artist!

DR. SUPERMAN!! Review by an international patient. show details DR. SUPERMAN!! Review by an international patient.
Aug 14th, 2011

I've had plastic surgery before in Asia and flew from overseas to have my surgery with Dr. Eshima. Let me just say that I've met the SUPERMAN of Plastic Surgery. I've had consultations with over 10 plastic surgeons in the past, and I will not and cannot recommend anyone else. Above all, he is a artist and a true gentleman. Magaly and Cathy (his excellent staff) offer the most generous aftercare. The fact that he doesn't have a website and is considered one of the best in the world really tells us you something.