Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

|  Best Doctor Ever  |  show details
by Samantha on Sep 29th, 2013

Ive been seeing Dr Goldberg now for the last 17 years & i dont know what i would do without him. He helped me find the right medication in my late teens,(when i was diagnosed with bipolar) has talked with me through college in my 20's and took me off my meds when i was pregnant in my 30's. He spoke with my mom and helped me back on my meds when i suffered severe post pardom depression. When i had trouble paying for my appointments, he let me make payments. As far as i'm concerned, there is no one & will never be anyone like him.

|  An unethical medical professional  |  show details
by MyLan J on Jun 18th, 2013

Dr. Goldberg prides himself as an "expert" in his presentation. Thinking back it was a commercial gimmick of sort in his persona. It was easy to obtain appointments and some phone follow-ups too. He had no reservation to charged $650 per visit. He had this "questionnaire" that he routinely did in the sessions. He was quick in his judgement about what your psychiatric diagnosis is and insistent what sort of medications you should be on. He was NOT a doctor who knew how to listen well. He was the "expert" as he claimed. In our case, his insistence on the medications he felt his right to prescribe caused a manic episode that resulted in a loss of employment and consequent hospitalization. The sad part of this medical experience provided by Dr. Goldberg was that when he knew a medical crisis was in sight, he didn't alert the patient's family. When later in the hospital it was confirmed that it was a result of the medications he prescribed. But it was the patient's fault because he didn't accept the diagnosis he insisted on. Guess what? It turned out a wrongful diagnosis he insisted on too. His daughter also helped handle his office telephone, and so far no returned calls as to how we may obtain the medical record. At the end, in our opinion, Dr. Goldberg failed as a professional and ethical medical profesisonal. And he is really not as an "expert" on mood disorders as he would like to claim. A word of wisdom - invest your finance and emotional investment with a medical professional who cares enough to listen and knows how to. Good luck!

|  Dr. Goldberg: A bright shining star in the midst of darkness  |  show details
Feb 21st, 2012

Dr Goldberg is successful becaause he is gifted at what he does. He makes accuurate diagnosess quickly and the compendium of remedies at his fingerttips is amazing. he is prompt at returning phone calls, phoning presriptions to my pharmacy and responding to any otther special needs between visits. On visits he is organized, kindly, professional, helpful and humorous in his dry, wittty way. Even though he is a psychopharmacologist, he can be very helpful in a practical way with his advice and guidance

|  Excellent Psychopharmacologist  |  show details
Feb 7th, 2012

I have been a patient since Fall 2008. Dr.Goldberg offered help that my previous Dr.didn't give.For over 20 yrs he has spoken at our Depression and Bipolar Support Group andanswered each and every question.Many people look forward to when he comes.He has helped me with questions via emaileven before I was a patient.I fail to understand the negativity of some previous evaluators.

|  show details
Dec 23rd, 2011

I was a patient over 18 years ago. What I can tell you is that he diagnosed me as "rapid cycling bipolar" and put me on lithium. Well, it was total bunk. I was suffering hypothyroid, was socially isolated, and just had experienced a death in the family and stopped smoking. The lithium made me gain 35 pounds in a matter of weeks (6 weeks!) and then, I really WAS miserable! Now, years later, we know that lithium, even without a pre-existing thyroid problem can cause one. And, I've never experienced clinical depression again.This Dr. had a slovenly, slovenly office that was one of the dirtiest, messiest I've ever been in my whole life, and he himself was quite overweight/obsese. I just don't think that people should put the faith in these people just because they are "doctors."I stopped the lithium, lost 18 of the 35 pounds in about 3 weeks without doing anything different, had a pretty good life and am now taking thyroid replacement of T4 and T3, as well as visit a gastro for my IBS. All those things (serotonin is largely absorbed through the stomach!) are factors, but I definitely do NOT, nor have ever had, "rapid cycling bipolar."Quack.

|  The old man is irresponsible and arrogant  |  show details
Apr 7th, 2011

Ivan Goldberg is an arrogant, fat and ugly doctor..he is getting old and sick..I was surprised to see he is still working..hey old man should you have retired 20 years ago

|  dont go  |  show details
Oct 6th, 2010

i was told that within 9 months he could stablize my difficult to treat bipolar 2. 11 months later, I was on 6 different meds and ended up in a psychiatric hospital for 3 weeks to get off of them all. He is very expensive and mixes cocktails of multiple medications that makes it so hard to say what works and what doesnt. Go to someone who does therapy as well as meds. He doesnt want to know you. He only wants to know how depressed or how manic you are. He treats an 'illness', not a person. He's personable, but don't get on his bad side. He can be a real stinker. And don't expect a call returned.

|  Most interested in money  |  show details
Jul 16th, 2010

After seeing this doctor for approximately 15 years I became ill and was hospitalized. I never saw him again and he never called to see if I was still alive. Overmedicates and mixes dangerous drugs. You don't have to worry about waiting in his office because even if you are early and he is doing nothing, he will not take you until your designated time. He is very difficult to get in touch with for emergencies and have waited days for him to return a call, if he does. I sincerely recommend you look elsewhere for treatment.

|  A human being first, then a doctor  |  show details
by M Osiel on Jun 25th, 2009

I found Dr. Goldberg to be the first medical doctor who didn't use his stature and notoriety as a psychiatrist to control another, in any way, shape, or form. I felt totally and completely comfortable inside his office, and though time was limited for each visit (30 minutes), he was attentive and focused enough to quickly get the information from the patient and act accordingly. I can't recommend him highly enough!

|  show details
Mar 19th, 2009

Knows meds really well. Great people and analytic skills. Very approchable.

|  Highway Robbery  |  show details
Apr 23rd, 2008

He has a website called psychcentral.com. On his website He states that He is an expert in finding the right medications for treatment resistence depression. I was desperate because I had tried many meds and nothing was working. He took advantage of me. He knew that I was disabled and had not worked in 4 years I told Him that I was going to spend my Christmas and birthday gift to go see him. I was desperate and according to his site one gets the impression that He is a genus and can help when no other can help. Which I found out that with medications, it is all hit and miss. He charges $650 for an initial consultation (when you are desperate I guess you will do anything) and then $275 for every appointment thereafter which is once a month. Once a month is not a way to handle dealing with meds. for depression. I basically wasted $1000 after being fooled that He was the "God" of psychiatry. He has bipolar 1 disorder. A lesson learned the very hard way. STAY AWAY KEEP YOUR MONEY IN YOUR POCKET