Dr. Jack Gunter, FACS
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

• Currently 2.6190476190476 of 4 stars
 |  getting old and shaky and hands and knuckles are arthritic bad  |  show details
May 23rd, 2012

stay away from this nut....hes messed up some peoples noses big time where they rotted off

|  Gunters Staff and Family are posting these reviews!  |  show details
Dec 4th, 2011

please dont fall for this they write these terribly long reviews to try and push real peoples post so far down that they are not seen. Be Careful lots of people injured beyond repair hes almost 80 years old and his knuckles are ridden with inflamation from RA ....tHERE ARE WAY BETTER CHOICES THESE DAYS ....

|  I have a beautiful nose now  |  show details
Sep 25th, 2011

I went to Dr. Gunter back in 1994 to have a septioplasty. My nose was very crooked on the inside, had a bulbous tip and barely any nostril holes. I had the "hump" on it too. When I saw him, he was very frank with me about what he could do and couldn't do. I learned that I only had 10% breathing on one side and about p percent on the other. I had severe migranes that were caused when I was around cigarette smoke, perfumes, in a high altitude etc. He told me he wasn't sure how much it would help my headaches but my breathing would be much better. I asked how much extra it would cost for him to take the bump off and make my nose prettier than it was before.He is a very honest and ethical doctor. He told me exactly how much extra I would have to pay for the cosmetic portion of the procedure that wasn't part of the needed surgery that would be covered by insurance. I had been to a few other very well known doctors in the Dallas area and they all wanted to include my cosmetic portion in their bill to the insurance which I felt was fraud. Dr Gunter could have offered to do the same thing but because he had ethics he did not. I knew immediately that I could trust him. When I went in for surgery,I was pretty nervous and he came to my side before I was put under and told me how well every thing would go. I can't tell you how comforting that was.It has now been 17 years since my surgery and I have not had one migrane since. I have small annoying headaches from time to time, but never once have had what I had before the surgery. My nose came out beautiful. It matches my face and people tell me all the time how pretty my nose is. I have sent some of my friends to him as well and they were all extrememly pleased. Dr. Gunter I hope you remember me as I will always remember you and thank you.Sincerely,Dana (Haertig) Mckool (surgery was in Sept 1994)

|  Dr. Gunter Is Incompetent -- Take Away This Man's License  |  show details
Sep 22nd, 2011

Dr. Gunter talked a good game -- with good results predicted -- but he completely disfigured my face, blocking my nose on an entire side, completely destroying my ability to breathe normally.In addition, he created an enormous amount of scarring.I was shattered. He refused even to look over the results or to discuss with me all the problems he caused with his incompetent surgery.I have filed a lawsuit against him, and now I see I am in good company -- THERE ARE SEVERAL LAWSUITS AGAINST DR. GUNTER.My gosh! He so disfigured one man, the poor dear is ruined for life.I would not trust Dr. Gunter to treat a hangnail.I have to get the entire procedures redone; the surgeon I saw was aghast with this atrocious surgery Dr. Gunter did.He told me that Dr. Gunter forces his staff and has his family write reviews for him! Dr. Gunter also wrote some of the reviews ABOUT HIMSELF !! in this reviews guide and others.That's not only unethical but also unprofessional and illegal.This man should not be trusted with a scalpel -- he is a menace.Stay as far away from him as you can.

|  Superb  |  show details
by NewYorker on Sep 2nd, 2011

Dr. Gunter is a legend and for a reason. Earlier in my life I had a botched nose job from another surgeon and Dr. Gunter resently fixed my nose with incredible results. My nose is beautiful now but it also looks natural. Thank you Dr. Gunter for changing my life. I thank Dr. Gunter for his dedication and artistry but I will never be able to thank him enough. My results are way beyond what I ever hoped for.

|  I LOVE MY NEW NOSE!!!  |  show details
May 5th, 2011

Dr. Gunter is great. After seeing some things on the internet, I was a little leery about getting the rhinoplasty. I had had it done once before, but the result was not what I was looking for. I found Dr. Gunter and I am so glad that I decided to go through with the surgery! My nose looks great, exactly what I had hoped for. Of course complications are a risk with any and every surgery, but that is just a risk that one must take, regardless of the surgeon. The care I received was five star-- Dr. Gunter and his CRNA called me the night before my surgery to check on me, as well as the night after. I have had three checkups since my surgery and it has only been one month! He is very meticulous about his work and only does the best!

|  Everything IS better in Texas!!  |  show details
Mar 17th, 2011

I would recommend Dr. Gunter in a second! For your first or second rhinoplasty. He has an amazing aesthetic, impeccable credentials, gentle and personable manner.why on Earth would you go anywhere else but Texas!!!10 years ago I had minor rhinoplasty (shaved the bone) and I was not happy with the results. I started looking into revision work to check out my options. My cousin, who is a highly recognized plastic surgeon in New York City, said I MUST go see Dr. Jack Gunter in Dallas Texas. He said he literally wrote the book on revision rhinoplasty.I live in New York City and I couldnt believe there was not a valid option here. I meet with a few doctors in New York, but my cousin insisted to go to Dallas.I did an online consultation and an in-person visit with Dr. Gunter. He was so kind, gentle and professional. The office also had the latest technology to show me the potential outcomes of surgery. He knew just want to say and definitely knew his stuff! Needless to say, I booked my surgery date right after the consultation. Surgery day was great. The experience at Texas Institute for Surgery was more than I could have hoped for! The staff was helping and very nice. I came out immediately breathing better and feeling good. A week of recovery was enough time for me to return back to NYC and get back to work.It is a month out and I am THRILLED with the results. It looks like I was born with this nose! It is still totally me, just better!!! The swelling is still going down, but everyday I look in the mirror and thank god that my cousin made me go to Texas!

|  AMAZING NOSE SURGEON  |  show details
Jan 21st, 2011

I am from New York, a city where seeing a doctor closely resembles speed dating these days. Over the years Ive broken my nose several times and had repeated surgeries in hopes of repairing it. Each surgery resulted in unsuccessful outcomes and left me with additional problems. After years of being unhappy, I consulted with a reputable doctor in New York, who I will call Dr. A. Dr. A. strongly suggested after examining me, that the only man I should see for repair was Dr.Gunter. During our hour consultation, Dr. Gunter took pictures, examined me, and thoroughly explained the surgery in detail. Knowing that having had so many prior surgeries a good outcome was not a guaranteed result, I asked him if he thought I should proceed. Dr. Gunter, confidently said that he would not do the surgery if he didnt feel he could improve the structure and the aesthetics of my nose. I set the date for surgery. Dr. A. accompanied me , as he was excited to sit in on my surgery . Several days later, I returned home and for the past six years I have had no problems with my reconstructed nose. I could breath great and it looked beautiful until recently. A day before New Years Eve while playing with my dog, she picked her hard head up swiftly and caught me under the nose. This has happened several times over the years, but it never caused a problem. Later that day, I passed out, as I sometimes do from low blood pressure, and hit my head/face on the way down. Several hours later, my nose looked a little twisted to one side and my breathing seemed a little off. I called the office and spoke with Dr. Gs nurse Jane.She asked that I take x-rays and send her some photos immediately. As soon as they were received Dr. Gunter reviewed them and called me. He honestly said that he couldnt tell exactly what went wrong without seeing me. Jane got back on the phone and with the help of Marilyn rearranged the scheduled patients so she could fit me in immediately. Now, I just dont mean that they rescheduled the consult appointments, Jane and Marilyn rescheduled the surgeries as well, making time in the operating room in hopes that it would be a quick fix. I flew down and consulted with the doctor that afternoon. Dr. Gunter came in, all smiles and happy to see me even though I had possibly wrecked his masterpiece! We looked at the operative report and the old and new photos together. He examined me, looked, poked and thought. I could tell that he was thinking of every possible scenario that might have caused the problem as well as every possible fix. This is not a doctor that approaches surgery in a careless manor. After one hour, we had nothing! Dr. Gunter said he had never seen this happen before and he thought the most practical thing to do was to schedule surgery in the near future and start from scratch. I asked him, can it turn out worse. Dr. Gunter reassured me that he would not operate on me again unless he felt he could achieve a great outcome. He did not want to open my nose up unless we were both prepared for whatever he was presented with. He made sense and I agreed with him but I was convinced that the K wire had shifted and we should simply remove it. I think he sensed my one percent of conflict and he exited the room for five minutes as if to give me time alone to think.When he came back, I to said I still think its just the k wire. Well, doctors with as many degrees, credentials and recognition as Dr. Gunter has would have dismissed me in a minute. He looked at me and smiled one of his big warm smiles and said, then thats what well do because sometimes the patient knows best. Before the surgery he popped into my suite to ask me if I had any further questions or instructions for him. LOL After the surgery he came to see me and asked me what I thought about my nose. I told him I hadnt seen it and he ran out to find a mirror so I could take a look. He said that the nose had shifted back when he removed it and although it was too soon to tell the final outcome, he was happy that we proceeded with the removal. Dr. Gunter personally called me to see how I was feeling and to reassure me that if I was not happy when the swelling went down he would do whatever it took to make me happy. Office staff is the best! They will go out of their way for you. Jane did everything for me. She took care of sending me hotel info and booked the surgical center and anesthesiologist .She hired a nurse for me and was there with a big hug of reassurance on the day of my consult. Dr. Gunter did not charge me for my surgery or consult!!!!!! I cant express my gratitude. The operating facility is state of the art. The anesthesiologist.... Well I had the pleasure of having Leslie for my first surgery as well and she is the best. She will keep you calm with pre surgery drugs and keep you safe during your surgery.I never review anything or anyone, but Dr. Gunter, well, he is my hero and I wanted to applaud his operating skills, compassion and humanity. Thank you Dr.G.

|  AMAZING NOSE SURGEON  |  show details
by Donna T. Brooklyn, NY on Jan 17th, 2011

My name is Donna and I am from New York, a city where seeing a doctor closely resembles speed dating these days. This review might seem a bit long, but if you are considering a first, second, third or fourth nose surgery, I suggest you read on.I had over the years broken my nose several times and then had repeated surgeries in hopes of repairing the damage done. Each surgery resulted in unsuccessful outcomes and left me with additional problems. After years of not being able to breath, I consulted with a very reputable doctor in New York, who I will call Dr. A. since this testimonial is not about him. Dr. A. strongly suggested after examining me, that the only man I should see for repair was Dr.Gunter in Dallas, Texas. During our consultation, which was an hour long, Dr. Gunter took pictures, examined me, and thoroughly explained the rib graft surgery in detail. Knowing that having had so many prior surgeries a good outcome was not a guaranteed result, I asked him if he thought I should proceed. Dr. Gunter, confidently said that he would not do the surgery if he didnt feel he could improve the structure and the aesthetics of my nose. I set the date for surgery.Dr. A. accompanied me to Dallas, as he was excited to sit in on my surgery and have the chance to watch and learn. Several days later, I returned home and for the past six years I have had no problems with my reconstructed nose. I could breath great and it looked beautiful until recently. A day before New Years Eve while playing with my dog, she picked her hard head up swiftly and caught me under the nose. This has happened several times over the years, but it never caused a problem. To top off my day and not such a good start to the new year, later that day, I passed out, as I sometimes do from low blood pressure, and hit my head/face on the way down. Several hours later, my nose looked a little twisted to one side and my breathing seemed a little off.I called the office the day after New Years day and spoke with Dr. Gunters nurse Jane.I told her what had happened and she asked that I take x-rays and send her some photos as soon as possible. I shot her a video, films and photos requested and as soon as they were received Dr. Gunter reviewed them and called me to talk. He honestly said that although he had so much info in front of him, he couldnt tell exactly what went wrong without seeing me. Jane got back on the phone and with the help of Marilyn rearranged the scheduled patients so she could fit me in immediately. Now, I just dont mean that they rescheduled the consult appointments, Jane and Marilyn rescheduled the surgeries as well, making time in the operating room the day after I arrived in hopes that it would be a quick fix. Mind you, all of this is happening a mere ten days before Dr. Gunter is preparing to take personal time off.I flew down Tuesday morning and consulted with the doctor that afternoon. This is how that went: I was taken in at my scheduled time, photographed and put into an exam room. Dr. Gunter came in, all smiles and happy to see me even though I had possibly wrecked his masterpiece! We looked at the operative report and the old and new photos together. He examined me, looked, poked and thought. You can see this mans brain at work. You can tell that he is thinking of every possible scenario that might have caused the problem as well as every possible fix. This is not a doctor that approaches surgery in a careless manor. After one hour, we had nothing! Dr. Gunter said he had never seen this happen before and he thought the best and most practical thing to do was to schedule surgery in the near future and start from scratch. I expressed my concern over yet another nose surgery. I explained that I was worried that if we went in again, I was scared that it could turn out worse. I asked him, can it turn out worse. Dr. Gunter said that secondary nose jobs, while being very difficult to perform with sometimes unpredictable outcomes was not weighing on him. He reassured me that he would not operate on me again unless he felt he could achieve a great outcome. He did not want to open my nose up unless we were both prepared for whatever he was presented with. He made total sense and I agreed with him........but I was convinced that the K wire he used for support had shifted and we should simply remove it. I think he sensed my one percent of conflict and he exited the room for five minutes as if to give me time alone to think.When he came back, I, a high school graduate, with no medical background said with my saddest eyes and all the conviction I could muster up in my voice, I still think its just the k wire. Well, most doctors with as many degrees, credentials and recognition as Dr. Gunter has would have dismissed me in a minute but not this doctor. He looked at me and smiled one of his big warm smiles and simply said, then thats what well do because sometimes the patient knows best. I had my surgery to remove the wires the following day. Before the surgery he popped into my suite to ask me if I had any further questions or instructions for him. LOLAfter the surgery he came to see me and asked me what I thought about my nose. It wasnt taped as he removed the wire through my mouth. I told him I hadnt seen it and he ran out to find a mirror so I could take a look. He said that the nose had shifted back when he removed it and although it was too soon to tell the final outcome, he was happy that we proceeded with the removal.I stayed the night in Dallas and returned home the following day. Dr. Gunter personally called me to see how I was feeling and to reassure me that if I was not happy when the swelling went down he would do whatever it took to make me happy.It is only several days since my surgery, so it is too soon to tell, but I am breathing better and my nose is no longer crooked. Whatever happens, I have the best doctor in the world and I know there is nothing he cant handle. Okay some more info:Office staff is the best! They will go out of their way for you. Jane did everything for me. She took care of sending me hotel info and I gave her the job of calling in my credit card info to the surgical center and anesthesiologist. She hired a nurse for me and was there with a big hug of reassurance on the day of my consult.Dr. Gunter did not charge me for my surgery or consult!!!!!! That is unheard of and I cant express my gratitude. Doctors charge you to walk in the door and he operated on me for nothing! The operating facility is state of the art. I was put in a gown that had an opening that a hose connected to that blew warm air into it so I wouldnt be cold before I went into the operating room.The anesthesiologist.... Well I had the pleasure of having Leslie for my first surgery as well and she is the best. She will keep you calm with pre surgery drugs and keep you safe during your surgery.The nurses, doctors, receptionists.....Its a class act and you feel safe and taken care of.I never review anything or anyone, but Dr. Gunter, well, he is my hero and I wanted to applaud his operating skills, compassion and humanity. Thank you Dr.G.Donna T.Brooklyn, NY

|  Gave me back a functioning and attractive nose  |  show details
Nov 28th, 2010

In Dec 2005 Dr. Gunter did a Secondary rhinoplasty on me. My nose had been broken as a kid and I'd had in fixed as a teenager around 1986. Less was understood about nose surgery then (I went to a board certified plastic surgeon) - the technique then gave me a bobbed turned up nose. Over time my nose collapsed further and sleeping and exercising was really difficult. I wore a breath-rite strip all the time to just breathe more normally. After getting certified through my insurance (out of network) Dr. Gunter repaired my nose (with a rib cartilage graft). I can now sleep normally (it's been such a life improvement) and breathe more normally with exercise. It took me a full year to get used to having a proper nose and for all the swelling to go down. Now my nose looks balanced with my face and you can't see up my nose anymore. My surgery was difficult (my skin is very fair and thin) and the recovery was painful. However, it was worth it and I have a much better quality of life and a non-operated looking nose.

|  Excellent Doctor in Rhinoplasty  |  show details
Sep 14th, 2010

20 years ago I had a cosmetic surgery, however my nose did not look that good, I had another surgery to fix the first one and my nose end up looking even worse. I found Dr. Gunter and I decided to do what is called a "Secondary Rhinoplasty". My surgery with him was a success. He fixed my nose and leave me very happy looking much better. He is a real professional. He was very honest with me. He will give you the best results since he is what I consider a real expert. After the surgery I did not experience much pain, I was very impatient to see the results since the first day after the surgery....my advice: Do not worry how your nose look at first... in my experience, the nose takes time to heal... so do not forget that if you have this type of surgery the results are there just be patient. If I had another surgery someday I will definetly look for Dr. Gunter again. I strongly recommend this doctor.Beatriz DuMars

|  wildy inconsistent results - getting worse as he ages  |  show details
by Florida Girl on Jul 23rd, 2010

My Gunter Rhinoplasty took place in 2003. His office facilities are first rate - maybe that's why he's so expensive? I thought he was abrupt and cold. Was very nervous going with him, but his reputation is huge. My nose healed fine but the aesthetics and function are terrible. Breathing worse, snoring worse, and my nose looks scooped out and very strangely lopsided. When I saw him 8 months post-op, he said "I don't know what happened, but it's pulled in too much on this side and not enough on this side. If you're still unhappy in a year, I'll fix it. Life circumstances and children have kept me from considering a revision until now, but I won't be going to Gunter for it.

|  Incredible experience at Gunter Center  |  show details
by anonymous on Jun 4th, 2010

I came to the Gunter Center in April, 2010 for a secondary rhinoplasty. I was a bit nervous because secondary procedures are traditionally more complicated than primary procedures, but thats the reason I chose Dr. Gunter. His reputation as the preeminent surgeon in his field, his amazing attention to detail, the reputation of his staff, and the kindness I experienced during my time in Dallas made it even clearer to me that I made the right choice.My recovery was seamless, and because of Dr. Gunters artistry I now have a result I didnt even dream was possible. He not only corrected the imperfections present after my first rhinoplasty, but also was able to elevate my result to a level that I believe is perfect for me. My nose doesnt look like a nose that has been operated on it just looks like MY nose. I couldnt be more thrilled!I am so grateful to Dr. Gunter, his office staff, and all the nurses and anesthesiologists who took such amazing care of me. If you are considering a rhinoplasty I truly believe that the Gunter Center is the best place in the country to go for your care. I just wish I had gone to Dr. Gunter for my first surgery!