inactive

Jacqueline Chang MD Patient Reviews

• Pulmonary Disease Boston, MA

1.8

March 30th, 2015
Sent me two appt cancellations through the mail. Terrible follow-up for what I was told was a serious condition. Staff is not helpful.

March 30th, 2015

January 2nd, 2015
Filling a prescription is a nightmare and considering all she does is prescribe pills, this difficulty is very frustrating.

January 2nd, 2015

June 26th, 2014
Could be better
I've been seeing Dr. Chang for several years & while she does try to work with me, I've been very frustrated by several aspects of my treatment. One of the positive aspects of my experience with her is that she does take the time during my appointments with her. However, my case is very complex & I have multiple medical conditions & they are affected by the quality of sleep. The reason I have continued to stay with her is because most of my doctors are based out the BIDMC system. Initially, it seems like she reads out of a textbook rather than looking at a patient as a whole & taking the time to examine each situation as an individual case. I don't need a textbook; I can read the same resources as she does (the articles are also online if you create a professional account if you are in a related field). I have complex sleep apnea (obstructive & central) as well as several other neurological sleep disorders & seizure disorder as well. However, Dr. Chang does not have the background to understand or explore on how to help someone who is an atypical patient (i.e. a woman, someone who is not obese at the time of diagnosis/ diagnoses, someone with neurological sleep disorders or has other medical problems). She often guesses & does not appear to have the education & experience to treat neurological & complex sleep disorders. Also, I'm often frustrated after my appointments with her. When I have had sleep evaluations, she has been very reluctant to share my results with me. After begging for my test results, she provides a minimal report & each report for my sleep evals over the years has greatly varied, which does not make any sense to me. Unfortunately, she is reticent to share information with other sleep specialists especially with someone outside of BIDMC which limits my options for another sleep specialists. I wish she was more available to communicate with my other specialists & GP. The MAIN ISSUE I've come across is that I've had difficulty getting my prescriptions filled, which affects my health. Even when my pharmacy calls & faxes 4 or more times & I call 2 or more times, I do not get any response from the clinic/staff. My insurance claims that she (or her staff) do not fill out the forms correctly initially & for the pre-authorization is incomplete or wrong. This causes great stress & my pharmacy has to deal with me crying & my melt-downs. I can't drive or function w/o appropriate treatment. Now, I'm disabled due to my sleep disorders & lack of appropriate treatment. The oneness shouldn't be on me-- isn't this what doctors are supposed to do??? I don't want to seem like I'm complaining about Dr. Chang irrationally; for my case, her treatment doesn't address all of my medical sleep-related issues. Perhaps for prospective patients that have a typical Obstructive Sleep Apnea profile & are able to advocate for themselves, Dr. Chang would work for them. However, I can't recommend her (or her staff) if you have a more complex sleep disorder or any neurologically based sleep disorder. If anyone has a better recommendation for a sleep specialist, I would love to know who can address my conditions appropriately & is more prompt in responding to any questions & knows how to fill out Medicare forms correctly. Thanks.

May 26th, 2014
Tried to pull the plug...
Dr Chang is a poor example of a doctor. My Grandmother was hospitalized at Beth Israel and Dr Chang was the attending physician. She was so adamant about pulling my grandmother off of mechanical ventilation that she pulled our family into an ethics committee meeting to try to persuade us that keeping nana on the vent was cruel. Our argument that it was giving her lungs a chance to heal. After several weeks, nana was successfully extubated and sent to rehab, much to Dr Changs chagrin. My nana lived another four years and attended my wedding. If we had listened to the amateur banter of Dr Chang and her associates at the Beth Israel MICU, my nana would have been dead four years ago. Dr Chang is a poor example of a doctor and does not follow her Hippocratic oath to "do no harm". Do your research and don't let her push you into making a decision you'll regret. She should lose her license for being careless and negligent. The only reason we didn't sue her is because we had my nana alive and well. If she died, there would have never practiced in this city again.

May 11th, 2014
I would not recommend her. She doesn't seem to have the expertise in dealing with complicated patients or those with complex & central sleep apnea. It takes a minimum of four months to get a follow up visit or any appointment. She doesn't always answer emails and if so, takes her an avg. of 4 days to respond. She now has a person who you see first and takes info before she comes in. This woman is an idiot w/ little background and very frustrating to tell your entire history over again. Dr. Chang came in at the end for about 15 min. I don't like the new system at all. Dr. Chang is not competent in sleep apnea syndromes. I am in the process of leaving here to go to MGH.