Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

St Jude Heritage Medical Group
1950 Sunnycrest Dr
Ste 2800
Fullerton, CA 92835
714-992-5350
Locations and availability (3)

2.0

|  Does not listen  |  show details
May 13th, 2013

The first time I was pregnant, I had an awesome OB. I changed insurance, and I like St Jude as a hospital, so tried to find an OB at St. Jude. I called and Dr Cortez was the only one accepting new patients and with openings for appts. Everytime I go parking is $2.25 for every half hour. Any document I need a dr's signature for, costs $15. I get the first appt of the day, and when I arrive, I'm always told the Dr isn't there yet. 45 mins of waiting. Dr spends 5 mins w/ me, not sure she even knows my name and I've been seeing her for months. I have to remind her that she ordered tests for me, and ask for the results. She doesn't really explain, but just says it's all normal. I tell her about pains or complications, she doesn't really listen. Her back is turned to me most of the time, she's typing on her computer. She orders more unnecessary tests. Costs me more money. When I go to take the tests, I'm even told, "I can tell everything is fine, but some dr's just like to re-order these tests". I really question her competency. I've been unhappy, but it's so hard to find a good OB accepting new patients that works with my insurance and St Jude. I wish I could go back and start over with a new OB. Seems like she hates being an OB and has become super lazy about it. Her patients are just an annoyance to her.

|  experience  |  show details
by Daniela S. on May 6th, 2013

Dr. Cortez, seems always in rush. she should give more time and put more attention to her patients.

|  Very disappointing!  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2012

I am a primary care physician and needed help with gynecological problems for myself so I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Cortez. I waited over one hour to be put in the room. My appointment was at 8 am. There were several pregnant patients, some of them arriving after me and being pulled in the rooms right away. I was placed in a room and had to undress completely and put on a paper gown and drape. I waited another 45 minutes in a freezing room with a paper gown. Finally Dr. Cortez came and asked me some questions. She clearly did not read the history I filled out earlier in the waiting room and she definitely didn't see on my paperwork that I am a physician myself. Otherwise she would have communicated in a different way with me. Long story short she spent less than 10 minutes with me, did a short exam (I did more thorough exams as a primary care doctor on my patients) ordered labs and ultrasound and out the door she was. I returned for a follow-up visit to get the results of the studies. Again, I had to wait in the waiting room a very long time and then in the exam room again before she came. It took her less than 5 minutes to tell me the results, half of which she didn't explain. I only found out about the results after I asked for a copy of my labs and ultrasound at the front desk before I left the office and only because I am a physician myself and able to interpret the labs and ultrasound. Since the studies were all normal I still needed an explanation for my problem.I didn't get any explanation for my problem, which brought me in in the first place. I ended up seeing another gynecologist in Orange County to get an answer for my concerns.Summary: Not worth the time and energy. There are much better doctors out there, who will treat you with compassion and dignity.

|  Unprofessional and Rude  |  show details
Oct 16th, 2012

Doctor rescheduled two appointments without notification or reason. Unacceptable. When a patient cancels, they're charged. Perhaps if the doctor paid, she wouldn't stand us up!

|  Great surgeon, not worth the hassle  |  show details
Apr 14th, 2012

I saw Dr. Cortez for two pregnancies, the first of which ended in a miscarriage. Another doctor had recommended her because he thought she was thorough. Throughout my first pregnancy, Dr. Cortez was amazing. When I lost the pregnancy, she was caring and compassionate and I felt very confident that I was receiving great medical care. At that point, I would have recommended her.However, during my second pregnancy, I changed my opinion of Dr. Cortez based on her behavior. When I would arrive for an appointment, I didn't know which "Dr. Cortez" I was going to get. Seriously, she has major mood swings. Her wait time is ridiculous (I once waited over an hour and a half for a routine 5 minute check up. Most days averaged about 35-40 minutes.) During my delivery, she yelled at me, the nurse and anesthesiologist. She used scare tactics to bully her way around the hospital. In addition to accusing me of not being forthcoming with my medical information (which I gave her orally at the first two appointments as well as in writing on the scantron/survey the practice had me take at the beginning of each pregnancy), she called me names and was screaming so loud down the hallway that we could hear her inside the room. The two nurses apologized to me for her behavior and then she yelled at them. I felt belittled, scared, and angry that the doctor I trusted treated me so horribly.A friend of mine is a nurse at St. Jude's and when she heard about my experience with Dr. Cortez, she was not surprised. Another friend is a birth attendant who has been mocked repeatedly by Dr. Cortez. Dr. Cortez is a great surgeon, but she lacks so much of what makes a great doctor. DO NOT USE HER!!If you are looking for someone in the same practice, try Dr. Henderson, Dr. Gray or Dr. Su. Dr. Henderson has a great bedside manner, Dr. Gray has a very short wait time, and Dr. Su is all around a great doctor. Next time, I will see one of them.

|  Scare tactics  |  show details
Feb 7th, 2012

Dr. Cortez uses scare tactics to do every intervention possible. She goes as far as telling patients their baby will die, you could die, etc! She undermines the other doctors and treats pregnancy as a desease that has to be managed every step of the way.

|  Not natural-friendly AT ALL  |  show details
Sep 26th, 2011

Dr. Cortez sure knows how to slice 'em! She does not have a good reputation. I personally know 3 women who had her on-call when they had their babies but I am writing this post based on my own experience. She comes off friendly but she was not at ALL supportive of our birth plan. Luckily, we had an AMAZING nurse who kept Dr. Cortez out of our room as much as possible so we could labor on our own. We ended up a mostly intervention-free labor and delivery, though the doctor did offer us pain meds (though we requested not) and she broke my water when I was 7 cm (again, we requested not to be checked and to completely avoid AROM).

|  show details
Sep 25th, 2011

Dr. Cortez was patient and helpful. She determined quickly what was causing my gynecological problems and pain, set up a treatment plan, and I am feeling better since! Highly recommend her!

|  Terrible  |  show details
Jun 23rd, 2011

Not very pleasant to talk to. She has a very rough persona about her. She underminded my regular physician's recommendations with her sense of self superiority. I would not recommend this physician to anyone unless you are a non human being.

|  show details
Nov 22nd, 2010

Dr Cortez was my OBG when I was pregnant and she took the time to answer all my questions and address my concerns all the time. She is very friendly. And when I was at the hospital ready to deliver at 4am, she came in when they called her...being pregnant herself!! Thank You Dr Cortez for helping make my pregnancy go smooth.