Dr. James Barna MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

August 30th, 2014
Provided second opinion
I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Barna for a second opinion regarding surgery on my sinus. He was very nice and answered all my questions and explained the procedure better then the doctor who is going to operate on me. He said he felt confident that the doctor that is scheduled to do my surgery in Tampa was doing the correct procedure and told me I was in good hands . I'm not looking forward to it but I'm a lot more comfortable .

August 24th, 2014
doctor seemed nice at first but......
I was referred to this place from my primary care physician because I kept getting the same sickness over and over. I set up an appointment went in and was told I have to pay the copay upfront which is fine that seems to be a pattern here in florida. I sit in a chair doctor comes in seems nice I tell him what the problem is that I keep getting upper and sinus infections and he said ok lets take a look im like ok. so he tilts my head back shines a flashlight up my nose takes about 20 seconds he says yeah its very bad completely blocked I want you to get some x rays so I agree. I go to anoter place to get x rays and I pay for them 200 dollars I go back show him the x rays he says again yeah very bad I recommend you get another surgery to fix this I say ok how much is this going to cost me he says talk to the lady at the front desk to find out and to set a date and time. I ask them they say there not sure it depends on my insurance. I say ok lets not do anything until I know how much its going to cost they say we will be sending you in the mail a statement that shows how much the surgery will cost after your insurance. fast forward to about 6 weeks later. I get a statement in the mail saying I owe 140 dollars I call up and ask is this the remaining amount owed for the surgery they say yes. ok another 3 weeks later I get a bill in the mail saying im 60 days past due for amount of 140. I call up the billing dept and ask what this is, they say that that's the remaining amount owed for when doctor looked at my nose. I said are you kidding me? it took him 20 seconds. They said it doesn't matter that it was a procedure and that's how much it is. (that's the amount after insurance too) I said I was never told this was a procedure that would get billed to my insurance I thought this was just normal routine thing that is cover under the copay. I mean you don't go to a primary care physician and pay a copay then a separate bill for him to take your temperature and blood pressure. then the billing dept was extremily rude and said are you going to pay this or not! I said no. I then called up the clinic trying to talk to the doctor and was told the doctor doesn't speak to patients about there account. im like ok that's ridiculous. so I ask for the billing dept manager and get a voicemail I leave a message asking that she contact me to discuss this issue and its been 4 days no call. so like I said nice doctor but if this is how they handle issues with there customers then ill go elsewhere.

June 15th, 2014
Great Doctor
I had an appointment for ear cleaning and hearing test. Very gentle doctor and took the time to go over the test in great detail.

October 23rd, 2013
Happy Patient
I scheduled an appointment for my daughter after being referred by my pediatrician for a third opinion. She was seen by two other ENT doctors who recommended surgery, one wanted to take her tonsils and adenoids out and one wanted to do major sinus surgery . Dr Barna was fantastic and patient with my little girl, looked at her sinuses with a metal scope and took a culture! I can't believe the other doctors didn't do this!!! He was able to find that my daughter had MRSA!!. After treatment with the CORRECT antibiotic the infection resolved WITHOUT SURGERY!

September 23rd, 2013
Very Disappointing
I went to him regarding my hearing loss and hoarseness which I knew was caused by allergies. Next thing I know he walks in shoves a tube up my nostrils which was so painful even though they sprayed it with numbing spray. He tells me I need a throat test and walks out? Walking to my car I saw him speeding out the parking lot in his red corvette. I canceled my next appt with him

September 21st, 2013
Works like a factory, not a Dr.
I had septoplasty surgery and the follow ups didn't take more than five minutes. The Doctor didn't explain the recovery process and what to do to control bleeding. I had to go to the ER at midnight the same day I went for a follow up even though I explained to him that I was bleeding quite often. He said "That's normal" and didn't give me any indication as to what to do in case that happened. I'm spending a lot more money with this doctor. Wouldn't recommend this doctor to anyone.

September 18th, 2013
Had surgery by Dr Barna last week and can honestly say I have never had a better experience with a doctor or staff. The Surgery center staff was caring and the anesthesiologist at Countyside Surgery Center and nurses were all great and compassionate . Highly recommend him .

September 9th, 2013
Dr. Barna is great. Problem is he is listed as taking Medicaid and he DOES NOT ACCEPT MEDICAID FOR ADULTS. In today's economic structure not the best. Now I have to switch to a different ENT. Looks like my ears won't be getting taken care of.

August 7th, 2013
Good experience
Great experience with Doctor Barna . My husband and my children are also patients. Sometimes the wait in the office is a bit long but my experience has been that the best doctors are very busy in this environment. Have also seen some of his partners when he is on vacation which fortunately is not very often and they are all A+++

May 10th, 2013
Fantastic!
Great doctor, he listened to what my problems were and fixed them with no further problems. Will definitely see him again if needed.

April 25th, 2012
Great Doctor
Great experience. Listened to my problems and was the only doctor that helped me

December 12th, 2011
Would not recommend
I went to Dr. Barna for deviated septum to clear nasal blockage a few years back and a sinus drainage problem. I had surgery to cauterize sinus and to repair the septum. He painfully cauterized me but didn't work on the septum, not fixing the problem.