Dr. James Burkhart MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery Knoxville, TN

• Good
  • Bad

August 16th, 2015
My experience with Dr. Burkhart has been the best experience I've had with any doctor in any field. Dr. Burkhart is a throw back to when doctor's cared more about their patients then the bottom line and I like that very much. Dr. Burkhart did an arthroscopic surgery to remove cartilage from my left ankle .He did a great job explaining what he was doing before my surgery and even followed up with me immediately after the surgery was over to answer any questions and take care of any concerns or issues I was having. Dr. Burkhart is a great no frills surgeon but he has a way of making myself and my family feel at ease.I know I would highly recommend him to anybody.Thank you Dr. Burkhart you are a God-send.

May 3rd, 2015
Time for retirement!

April 21st, 2010
Retirement is past due.
I've had him repair a broken wrist in the past and he replaced an ACL in my knee last December. His skills as a surgeon are great and that's where it ends. Don't bother wasting your breath talking to him, he won't listen. Before my knee surgery I told him that I have a sensory processing disorder, I'm hypersensitive to pain and pain medication is not effective on me and I have to take four times the amount of the average person. My wife and my mother also told him this. I even discussed this with two different anaesthetists before the surgery. After the surgery, he just treated me like I was just some drug addict looking for pills and even reduced them on me when I said that what he gave me wasn't strong enough to help. To top it off, he would only write them a week at a time while knowing that my insurance only covers five a month and I have three that I have to get filled every month already. I was in such severe pain that I wanted to cut my leg off and when I tried to explain how much pain I was in, he walked out of the room while I was mid-sentence and never came back. I saw him a week after the surgery and he didn't even schedule another appointment for a month. No therapy or anything! Stuck me in a hinge brace, told me not to walk on it and forgot about me. After two weeks, I went back due to the severity of the pain and the fact that everything I was reading said that therapy should have started the day of the surgery and 5 days after at the latest. One more time, he blew me off and walked out of the room. He even bumped my next appointment out another week. That's when I decided that returning was a waste of time. That would have been a total of 6 weeks locked up in a leg brace for a surgery that is suppose to have an 8 week recovery time. If I had not taken it upon myself to find out what the correct rehab schedule was and rehab it myself, without pain management, i would have never walked right again! Everything I read about it said that it is not something you would do to yourself or to anyone you actually like, I had to do it to myself. I even explained the situation to other doctors and tried to get them to send me to therapy but they couldn't because he did the surgery. When I told them what he was doing, they always got a look of confused horror on their face and they told me that I really needed to go back and ask him again. He doomed me with his stubborn egocentric stupidity. It was an awful experience and come to find out, I had discs out that were replaced three months later. They were pushing on nerves at L4-L5-S1 that were partially paralyzing my leg and causing the severe nerve pain that he punished me for because he assumed I was just a pill head. He didn't know crap about me and wasn't about to remove his head from his own anal cavity long enough find out. He needs to be removed from practice before he does permanent damage to someone. He caused me to suffer through a lot of unnecessary agony and would have caused me permanent problems if I had allowed him to.

November 5th, 2009
Very Knowlegable
I like Dr. Burkhart as a surgeon, but as a person the manage my pain, I can't say much except Ooch!!!

February 20th, 2017