Dr. James Carnes MD Patient Reviews

• Neurology West Columbia, SC

3.1

October 18th, 2016
Great Neurologist!
Very up to date on all facets of Neurology. Thoughtful, kind and concerned. Have never met a better educated physician. Excellent follow up plan.

June 11th, 2016
Very good experience!
The front desk staff members were nice and professional. Dr. Carnes was friendly and he listened to my problem. I was very pleased with his bedside manner. As he explained what was going on with me he was personable, kind and he made sure I understood my options. While I don’t have to see him again for my issue, I would highly recommend him.

May 4th, 2015
Poor Office Staff
I went to see Dr Carnes concerning a MRI and some suspicious spots. I was told to come back in approx. 6 months for a follow up. It seems that the staff that works for the Drs. are either putting you on hold for 15 minutes, Or ignoring you. I tried to call to confirm and appointment. Still have not had a chance to speak with anyone, with the exception of nurse/receptionist continually putting me on hold.

April 20th, 2015
Everyone of the staff there is rude and nasty. Get better staff that will make patients want to come there. You are not the only neurological clinic.

July 11th, 2014
What a Joke!
I was referred to Dr. Carnes for peripheral neuropathy... First he said he didn't believe in all the new electronic tests I went through - then he pulled out a needle to test my supposed "numbness". I had the feeling all along that his job was to make sure he didn't find anything wrong. The final blow was when he said "SH&% happens when you get old -- deal with it". I had to pay a co-pay for him to tell me something I already know - I'm old!

June 20th, 2013
Wouldn't reccommend to anyone!
I have been a patient of Dr. Carnes for over 8 years. I would usually go maybe once a year for checkups (if that). However I have most recently had difficulties with my disorder. It has taken MONTHS to get in to see him. When I did go, the staff were very rude and not helpful. When dealing with my brain it was discomforting to be treated like a number and NOT like a person that mattered. I had to ask for additional tests when there were complications instead of him reccommending to do further analysis to properly diagnose. I honestly feel that he is trying to see as many people as possible in one day but not help as many people as possible. I have never written a bad review for anyone but dealing with this office the past year has been a nightmare.

April 23rd, 2013
Office staff are slackers
The office staff are AWFUL! They are not organized, professional or prompt. Calls are not returned. They act as though you are wasting their time and have no compassion. I once was being weighed in plain view while the nurse flirted with a sales rep. who could see my weight and hear all questions and answers I was giving. As blood was being drawn, I finally asked if I could possibly have some privacy.

September 11th, 2012
Numbness and Nerve Conduction Test
My GP couldn't figure out what was going on and kept guessing. Finally sent me to see this guy in downtown Columbia when I refused to pay for any more splints, drugs, or guesses. Wait for appointment was 1 week 2 days and scheduled for last apt before lunch. They called me the afternoon before and asked to move my appointment 1.5 hrs later because they thought an earlier patient may go over, that was good.In the 20 minute wait I barely had time to fill out the paperwork for first time patients. Was in the little exam room for maybe 5 minutes before Dr showed up. He looked like one of those guys from the old Woodstock posters, but was friendly. Talk about a nerd, he explained everything that he was going to do, then again when he did it, then again after we were done. He redid a few of the tests using an older machine because he wanted to make sure everything was right. After it was over he let me think about things while getting dressed. He came back and went over everything again telling me what kinds of things I may expect, all my options, and suggested I get another opinion before making up my mind because there were some serious decisions. He even invited me to come back with my family to go over things and recovery possibilities. He then sat down and started asking about my family, told me to consider thinks like stairs, driving stick shift, cloths I could wear to work, and other stuff I wouldn't have thought about. I'd say other than being scary smart he's good and thorough.

April 2nd, 2011
Dr. Carnes saw me for constant headaches: our first appointment went fairly well, he seemed knowledegable and caring. He prescribed topamax for me, and set me up with a follow-up a few months later. However, once I began taking the medicine, I began to experience side effects from extreme irritibility to memory loss to rapid and extreme weight loss, in addition to having no effect on my headaches. These lasted for six months while I took the meds and I saw Dr Carnes several more times. His response was to increase my dosage of this medicine, only order an MRI after I asked for one, and then prescribe an anti-depressant when I broke down in his office telling him that I couldn't deal with the side effects and a nonstop migrane. I never felt as though he truly listened to my symptoms or how I was feeling, and I never believed that he respected me as a patient.

October 8th, 2009
MS patient
Dr Carnes told my husband, who made an appointment because of the fact that MS has taken most of his sight and he has very bad pain in his head hands and neck, that there is nothing that he can do for him and that he has deal with the symptoms of MS because he has MS. He gave my husband no hope at all for anything. My husband is only 35 and to have a Dr tell him that there is nothing that can be done to manage his symptoms, is not only rude, but very depressing for a person in my husbands shoes. Especially when our relative that has the same symptoms and goes to the same Dr is given options to help manage his MS. I have never seen a Dr with worse bedside manor and in my opinion this man should not be a dr at all, my husband felt worse when we left the Dr then before. How can a Dr treat one patient and tell another to just throw in the towel and there is no hope. Dr. Carnes makes me sick

July 23rd, 2009
My husband has MS. He has been a patient of Dr Carnes for 10 years and cant hardle get an appointment with him. He has to wait at the least 2 monthsto get in to see him, no matter what the reason. To top that, the person pn the phone is very rude and short. It is alot of difficulty trying to get in to see such a wonderful doctor!