Some ratings provided by Doctor.com.
Patient and later employee of Dr Chao show details Patient and later employee of Dr Chao
by Barbara Hester Irwin on Aug 3rd, 2015

Dr Chao is a very dedicated and top quality doctor. I would use him and refer my friends and family to him in a minute. He has a passion for teaching and healing like no one I have ever met before. I had two hand surgeries by him and have had great success. Little did I know when I had the first hand surgery that I would go to work for him a year later. I can't believe the reviews I have read in California... They are so far off. Dr Chao is a perfectionist and treats everyone with great compassion. He is extremely intelligent and appreciates everyone from the janitor to the President. We had patients travel from far to see him. He has an understanding of how the body heals that far out weighs others. He likes to use common sense when doing plastic surgery to make the patient look as natural as possible...not fake. If you ever knew him as a human being you would be so amazed at his philosophy of life and helping others.

Save your money and your health----do NOT see this doctor! show details Save your money and your health----do NOT see this doctor!
Jun 26th, 2015

Terrible doctor. Had to have his work redone by another doctor.

Only cares about money, not the patient show details Only cares about money, not the patient
Nov 14th, 2013

First of all, he was my breast surgeon initially. At first he was very nice and helpful. Then a few weeks before my official big reconstruction after cancer, he acted like he had forgotten who I was (and I had seen this man extensively during my whole reconstruction prep, which lasted several months) and completely changed his plan for me. Nothing that we had agreed on came to his memory. I realized that he was no longer interested in helping me and would not get me what I wanted. I dropped him like a bad habit. The nurses seem overworked and not very happy. I was not going to write this, but other women have to know to avoid this doctor. Cancer is bad enough without being victimized by this person. He is supposedly the hand doctor for the Chargers. Maybe he needs to stick with that.

by Lori on Aug 20th, 2013

We were very happy with Dr. Chao. My son needed to go see a hand specialist after a sporting injury. I called his office on a Wednesday and they scheduled us an appointment the very next day. After Dr. Chao showed us the x-rays he explained to us that surgery would be required. He made room on his surgery schedule the very next day for him. He was very personable and related to us on our level. We ended up seeing him 5 or 6 times total. Every appointment we had the staff was amazing to us. My son's pins came out ahead of schedule and he is back to playing high school sports as if there never was a problem. Our family would highly recommend Dr. Chao and Oasis Surgery Center.

So unhappy with his cavalier attitude except for money grubbing show details So unhappy with his cavalier attitude except for money grubbing
Jul 9th, 2013

I wanted schlerotherapy. He sent me for an ultra sound to a valve doctor, my additional cost $300. I handed over the report. I then spent $700 of schlerotherapy with Chao, which he has a nurse do. Not one iota of improvement. I asked for my money back at least partially, I was now out $1000 and my legs were as awful as ever. Went to see another doctor about can be done. Gave him the same valve report done by outside doctor (not Chao). He reviewed it and said the report clearly states I have a venus reflux medical condition, and without surgery...to alleviate that source problem, schlerotherapy is just throwing your money away. Chao read that report and took $700 from me anyway. He is arrogant, his office manager is a class A b*.* and he should stick with his own speciality and there are plenty of horror stories on the web about botched surgeries. He's in it for the money. STAY AWAY. He doesn't help. Why would a surgeon offer discount skin treatments...because he isn't successful enough to get enough referrals in maybe what he knows, but fails at. STAY AWAY

Fantastic surgeon! show details Fantastic surgeon!
Mar 20th, 2013

I have had 2 surgeries many years ago with Dr. Chao in Texas and I do not understand these negative reviews here. He was always friendly and caring, the best bedside manner I have ever seen! He has always explained my procedures to me in a relatively easy terms. He spends a significant amount of time talking to his patients and I have waited up to 30 minutes waiting for him, but because he spends time with me, I know he does the same with other patients. So I don't mind the wait. I have recovered wonderfully from both surgeries and I recommend this man highly.

worst show details worst
Mar 2nd, 2013

incompetent on his profession

Feb 5th, 2013

Dr. Chao was always in a rush. He seemed too busyto take time to answer my questions.

Simply the best show details Simply the best
Oct 28th, 2012

Dr. Chao and his staff are the best out there.

want to see this dr. suffer like me show details want to see this dr. suffer like me
May 31st, 2012

am 77yrs old this so called Dr. operated on my thumb and hand almost 2 yrs. ago and am STILL in pain 24/7 because of his botched surgery on me ! Sent me to physical therapy for almost a year, (one year of my life wasted)went in to see him he never apologized for anything he did. Went and got 2 other opinions and both confirmed their was bone left. DO NOT GO TO THIS DR.

terrible experience show details terrible experience
Dec 5th, 2011

many surgerys and complications with breast reconstruction, and alot of excuses. yet spent very little time or energy with me to let me know what was being done. his nurse told me that what really matters are results under the clothes. third and last surgery he performed on me to remove tissue expander that came out from underneath through my skin, I didn't even see him before or after the surgery. my opinion is he is incompetent in all areas of his profession and should stick to something safer (like pedicures).

Sep 26th, 2011

he did fat transplant on my face and he made look freak. I didnt go to work for several months because how I look. Lots of big bumps on my face. Several doctor fixed my face still look gross.I tried to call him and emailed him several times but no response I will never forget him

by Gary Pugliese on Mar 21st, 2011

Dr. Chao, Spent a good deal of time explaining in detail what to expect and how He was going to help me with my problem. I was very happy with my office visit.

Feb 1st, 2011

He did a fantastic breast reconstuction for me, muscle sparing free flap.

by Maddie D. on Nov 30th, 2010

I researched all the reconstructive surgeons in the US (and even some abroad) and even contacted a major breast cancer support group/foundation and Dr. James Chao's name kept coming up. When it came time to make a final decision, I booked a flight and got what I flew all that way for. I feel so good about myself when I look in the mirror now, all thanks to him. His staff, etc. helped me and my family with all the arrangements for our stay. I can honestly say I left San Diego feeeling whole again (and wearing a Shamu sweatshirt)!

Patient show details Patient
by Anonymous on Aug 17th, 2010 on doctorsdig.com

Dr. Chao's work has allowed me to live a normal life after a tragic accident. I am convinced no one else could have done this as it required num ...

Read Full Review at doctorsdig.com
The nurses here are exceptionally rude stay away! show details The nurses here are exceptionally rude stay away!
Aug 5th, 2010

The nurses here are so rude. They are basically abusive and are annoyed when you ask for help. I was sitting there and heard them screaming at a patient.I would stay away from a place like this.

Mar 11th, 2010

think dr chao is a great doctor.his only fault is that he sometimes seems removed. but hes gifted and devoted 2 his patients. hes likable & skilled.his staff is great. they seem 2 love him.