Dr. James Curtiss MD Patient Reviews

• Gastroenterology Fredericksburg, VA

3.9

September 27th, 2016
Patient
Dr. Curtiss not only treats you like you are his only patient of the day, he really enjoys what he does. Professional and very knowledgeable are one of the many compliments I can give him. He does a fantastic job of explaining your situation and very persistent on making a plan to solve and work towards fixing your issue. I had a very rare surgery when I was 21 and he worked closely with my surgeons in Chicago to play the biggest role he could in solving my complications, he did. I would highly recommend Dr. Curtiss.

October 12th, 2015
All the staff and the Nurse Practitioner were EXTREMELY professional and courteous.

May 12th, 2015
Royally ticked-off!
Made an appointment for esophageal dilation consultation. Staff was unfamiliar with the use of a secondary insurance and I had to demand that they call the toll free number on the card to satisfy their request that $125.00 upfront charge would be covered. I was advised to not eat or drink after midnight on the date of the dilation and that my arrival time at the hospital was noon, which meant I needed to miss two meals for this procedure. I asked if the procedure could be done earlier in the day and I was told that Dr. Curtiss is in his office in the mornings and does not do these procedures any earlier. I arrived at noon on the scheduled date and waited until 1:30 p.m. before I inquired about the delay. Three minutes later the receptionist stated they were just about to call me back. Three minutes after that a nurse came to the lobby and checked my armband. I asked her what the hold-up was about; and she stated Dr. Curtiss was running behind, that he had 14-15 scheduled procedures and that everyone showed up at once, but that the doctor did not start on anyone until 1:00 p.m. I told the nurse that I wanted her to relay a message to the doctor, "I am not a d@*& animal and I do not want to be treated like one, and I'll never go back to see him again. And if he doesn't understand and if he doesn't like it, tell him they have my number and he can call me." I told the nurse to cut the band off and I left. I have not heard from him or anyone from his staff.

February 19th, 2013
patient
Dr. Curtiss can be offensive and curt. He can be unprofessional and rude. His office staff is the same. Every time I go to his office, the waiting room is full to the point of overflow and the wait can be up to 2 hours. His staff will take the patient back and do some preliminaries, such as blood pressure, pulse, etc. and then will send the paitent back to the waiting room to wait. That second wait will be the long one. I distinctly asked the length of wait when switching to Dr. Curtiss, and was told that they never take more than 20 minutes. Apparently they mean 20 minutes before his staff does your vitals. I switched to him because of the short wait and now am stuck after leaving my regular gastroenterologist. Not happy. (He can be a smart-mouth when he thinks you're asleep when getting a colonoscopy. Wonder what else he says?)

February 26th, 2012
Worst Staff Possible
Preventative procedure was covered by my insurance. It was not coded as preventative and cost me about $4000. Bad part was I was not allowed to speak to anyone but the receptionist and billing clerk. I was told Dr. Curtis had nothing to do with it and my problem would be relayed to the office manager. I never heard from them. Repeated calls yielded the same results. I would get better treatment at Walmart or McDonalds.

June 29th, 2011
B. Riney
I've had two colonoscopies with Dr. Curtiss in the last three years. Both times, he and his staff were extremely professional, courteous, compassionate, and answered all of my questions adequately, easing my fears. The procedures went very well, with no complications or pain. It's scary to have procedures like this done, and I really appreciate the care they gave me! I very highly recommend Dr. Curtiss!

March 29th, 2011
Dr. Curtiss Good--Office Staff Person Bad
Dr. Curtiss is a good doctor, however, my overall experience has been unbearable because of one office staff person. I have had several interactions with this person, resulting in an exhibit of unprofessional, uncaring, lack of compassion, and overall superior type behaviors that left me practically in tears on three occasions. When I get this last procedure behind me, I will find another doctor because I was more upset over her treatment of me that I was over him finding growths on my colon. Something wrong with this picture, here. And, since she is an integral part of my care (deals with the preps for the procedures)...I just can't take it anymore. Health care is too expensive and since I still have choice in the matter, I will take my business elsewhere.

March 3rd, 2011
Kind and Caring Doctor
My primary care doctor insisted that I have a colonscopy done since I've turned the ripe old age of 50 and she referred me to Dr. Curtiss. I went in for my scheduled appointment and his staff was excellent. I met his Nurse Practitioner Nancy Jo on this trip and she was an angel. She explained the entire procedure to me and made me feel totally at ease. On the morning of my actual colonscopy I spoke with Dr. Curtiss and he asked me if I had any questions (which I didn't since Nancy Jo had prepared me so well) and I was soon off to lala land and when I woke up I was in recovery and everything was wonderful. I personally experienced no pain whatsoever, no bleeding, no anything! When I go back in 5 years I will DEFINITELY be returning to Dr. Curtiss!!!

October 19th, 2009
I find Dr. Curtiss polite, INFORMED & up to date on all medications available for Crohn's Disease. He listens, how I love a doctor who listens.I appreciate his openness & honestly!