Dr. James Davies Jr MD Patient Reviews

• Vascular Surgery Birmingham, AL

• Good
  • Bad

December 16th, 2015
I saw Dr. Davies yesterday. I presented with a complicated issue, referred to him by my cardiologist. He had reports from my other doctors and after the tests he had requested yesterday, he was able to tell me what he believed was the problem. He told me, in terms I can understand, the steps I need to take to reach a resolution. I will be returning to him for treatment and feel very confident that he has found a problem that other doctors have overlooked. I could not be more pleased with Dr. Davies, nor any member of his staff. They were professional, yet delightful to visit with. Thank you for the opportunity to express my opinion.

February 16th, 2014
Aortic root replacement and valve sparing
Dr Davies is a skilled surgeon and did excellent job of explaining what he was going to do in the O.R. He was recommended for my aortic root replacement surgery and I am glad he was. The hospital staff speaks highly of him " He's the best". Surgery was completed one week after the initial office visit. The hospital staff at UAB also did outstanding job during and after the surgery. Being a young patient- I was glad that he could save the valve so that I did not have to have a valve replacement and the associated medications.

June 24th, 2013
He did a GREAT job, and I feel better than I have for years.
There is a saying in life that, paraphrased goes like, "Until I was well, I didn't know how sick I was." Thus, it was with me and the replacement of my aortic heart valve. As a person who had a congenial heart defect which resulted in the coarctation of the aorta at age 7 in 1957, I knew my bicuspid heart value would have to be replaced. Prior to the operation, my cardiologist performed an extensive arteriogram that showed one of my by-passes from 2002 was blocked and some other issues. When Dr. Davies replaced by aortic value, he, also, checked on my previous by-passes and other cardiac arteries on my heart. He "cleaned" them up when he replaced my aortic value with a bovine value. Having had by-pass surgery 10 years earlier, I knew a little about what to expect during the recovery process. The recovery process as spelled-out by the UAB was much more extensive. Prior to the surgery, I did aerobics, Pilates and cardio workouts four to five hours a week. My chest felt some discomfort and tightness whenever my heart rate got to 120 beats per minute (bpm). After my recovery, when I went back to aerobics, my heart first went up to 155 bpm without any discomfort. As it became used to the workouts, it seemed to max out at 135 bpm without any discomfort. Now, it seems my only discomfort from the workouts is overdoing it, and getting a pulled muscle. Having had a by-pass operation 10 years prior, I can, also, say, with this surgery, the manner in which the doctors put my chest back together decreased my discomfort immensely. I would recommend to anyone that they do Pilates prior to open heart surgery if they can. It helps getting in and out of the bed if you have strong "core" muscles. While I am not giving Dr. Davies four stars with regards to "spends times with me," that is only "after the operation." Prior to the operation, he went over all aspects of it, the alternatives available, and the possible negative consequences of the surgery. After the surgery, you mostly, (90%) of the time, saw the student doctors, which was OK. A couple of times, I had to re-ask my questions to get a response to it. In conclusion, I was very pleased with the results of my surgery, and I would not hesitate recommending Dr. Davies. I know the surgeons are doing some value replacement through the femoral artery, but I would recommend if you have had a previous heart surgery, you have it open heart so that a skilled surgeon, like Dr. Davies, can review your previous surgeries. Having him see that my double by-passes were in good shape was very comforting.

April 21st, 2012
he is just wonderful on everything. he saved my sons life.

August 23rd, 2017