Dr. James Dunlap MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

April 5th, 2016
Not happy with results of surgery....
He may be better fixing simpler injuries, but for my smashed foot and ankle, he only solved part of the problem and that took two tries--the first a disaster. He never talked to me after either surgery and never mentioned any follow-up to finish fixing the injury. In fact, he never acknowledged that more needed be done or could be done. On the other hand, maybe I misunderstood his role and should have known that orthopedic surgeons only fix bones and not associated tendons and ligaments. Still, it would have been helpful if I could have talked to him about this and gotten some advice.

December 29th, 2015
Great Care
Dr. Dunlap has performed four surgeries on me, including one for a total ankle replacement and one for replacement of a component that failed. He answered all of my questions and was attentive to my needs. When nurses did not give me pain relief that he had ordered, he was very upset and said that he would follow up. When I go in for my annual check-up, he shows me the x-ray and explains what he sees. For one minor surgery, I was asked to fill out a questionnaire of my care. The only complaint I had was tha Dr. Dunlap had not visited me after the surgery. That never happened again. The only complaints I have are that I don't find his receptionist/assistant friendly at all, and I always have to wait forty or so minutes for my appointment. I will say that my appointments are at the end of the day, so I expect them to get a little behind. By the way, the receptionist gave me a hard time about the last appointment time being 2:30, and Dr. Dunlap has told me that he understands that as a teacher, I can't leave work until 2:30 and he is willing to wait the extra fifteen minutes for me. But, let's face it, he is busy and spends only the time he needs to spend with me.

February 16th, 2014
In response to any complaint or question, he simply says, 'That's normal' and leaves it at that, with no other treatment or answer.

August 13th, 2013
A lousy bedside manner
Acted like he was only there to educate his PA about your condition. Rude when I didn't understand what he was saying immediately.

April 16th, 2012
incorrect surgery performed
Microfracture surgery performed without adequate explanation of procedure. The bone chip in my ankle was not detected or removed. Had to have procedure repeated by a different physician. Was allowed to bear weight immediately after surgery and return to work 1 week post op which resulted in bruising, pain and swelling.

October 28th, 2010
Not Happy with level of care or compassion
Lots of pain and swelling after surgry and no vering from average care plan. I was told, They do not set up an indivisual care plan for people. When they put you on medications it is the same for everyone nomatter how your feeling. They will not vier from the schedualed meds. 8 weeks out of surgry and still having pain and swelling. They didnt care about setting me up with physical theraphy, it was something I had to request and still had to wait for weeks after they took my tools to walk with away and sending me back to work before getting the referal. They messed up my medications and then blamed me for the mix up and acted like I was a drug seeker even though I quit taking the higher dose when I was told to, then later was told that I had them so chop them up and take them instead of getting the lower dose refilled. They wont say how long I will be in pain and offered no assistance when I inquired about not being able to walk right or without pain. The dr.s assistant is extreamly rude and uncompassionate. The nurses are the only ones you can talk to or see untill your one and only follow up with dr. dunlap himself otherwise everything is communicated from you through his nurse and then throuhg his assistant before reaching him and not once has my actual message been relay to him accuratly. I feel like I am on my own and no one there cares how I am feeling or what I am now expierencing. I have been feeling like this since the day after surgry.

August 26th, 2010
not happy with care
After sugery I was still haveing trouble with pain and swelling.I recieved no adequite answers to a diagnosis, I am very unhappy.