James K Fortman II MD Patient Reviews

3.8

May 14th, 2016
Doesn't have an empathetic bone in his body
I went to this Dr. for 4 months and in four months of nerve blocks and promises that if I keep having these nerve blocks I'll feel better, I never once felt any relief from my pain disorder. During this time I was still in crazy amounts of pain the doctor weaned me off the small amount of oxycodone I was perscribed by my PCP. The oxycodone was the only thing that I had found helped my pain (albeit very briefly, I was hoping going to see Dr. Fortman he would be knowledgeable on a medication like oxycodone that lasted longer). A month or two into seeing him he insisted I not be on it (this weaning off the pain med happened a few days before a major surgery). After a final visit with him that I had scheduled because I was miserable from not having slept in two days (due to horrible pain), I had asked about potentially getting a pain patch because my pain was constantly unceasingly horrible. He then said "he doesn't believe in opiod use for chronic pain" and that he wasn't going to prescribe me anything like that for my pain. At this point be had seen me go through two major surgeries and had seen me take pill after useless pill for the pain and nothing he or anyone did (other than that small amount of oxycodone he weaned me off for no given reason) helped. Additionally, this is all after him seeing me completely break down and cry for months that I was losing my life and my relationships because of my pain disorder. If he was OK just to let me stay in pain until the next nerve block then he is extremely cruel. If he wasnt even willing to give me a trial run for something that could drastically change the quality of my life because he was afraid to give a young person opioids then he is cruel. I mean I signed a waiver saying they could test me for drug abuse any time! I don't know why he assumes I was looking to get my kicks from a pain patch that was legitimately obtained. I could have gone anywhere else to get medication but I chose and am going to continue trying to find a real pain doctor because I am legitimately hurting!! I want relief and a treatment plan! There is a difference between depending on a medication to help you function and abusing it. Diabetics don't get weaned off their medication, why is a person with a legitimately diagnosed chronic pain condition treated so horribly different? Anyways, as soon as he told me that about how he doesn't believe in opiod use I said we were done. My mom who is a nurse who was with me chastised him for not following the WHO's guide to proper pain management. He told my mom that was only made for cancer patients (which is now the standard for all patients) and then asked me very sarcastically "Patient, do you have cancer?" That set my mom off (since she's a nurse I liked having her there for all my appointments) and they argued about how he could leave me in such a condition without any help. He left the room angrily then yelled from the front office wating room area "So you're leaving because I won't prescribe opiods" which not only was breaking HIPPA but also extremely embarrassing for me. I felt like a lowlife. I felt like I did something bad. If all he got from our four months together, after seeing my all charts and seeing how often I see other doctors to try to treat my pain, and how many many other treatments and drugs and surgeries we had tried to rid myself of this pain, was that I was just there for opioids then he is a cruel presumptuous man. I cannot believe he calls him self a pain doctor. I was made to feel like a drug seeker when I have gone above and beyond to do everything I can to get relief legitimately. He was not willing to try anything he didn't personally believe in to help me. In conclusion don't see this doctor if you have real pain. He will pressure you into having these "miraculous" nerve blocks (which he has an assembly line of every day. Every 15 minutes there's another nerve block he has to do so good luck getting any in-depth discussion of your source of pain or long term treatment plans) and then leave you in the cold if none of the non opioid medications he perscribes work for pain. He sits with you for about 5 minutes, barely listens to you, and rattles off a speal about how "going to therapy will help more than some medication for pain, because being in the right mindset can help with pain". If you want actual relief from a pain doctor go to someone else. This guy is a mean robot who thinks he knows your pain more than the patient and is not willing to try anything to help like a competent pain management doctor would. At the very least he should state upfront his personal beliefs on pain treatment before you get suckered into going to a "pain therapist" and getting expensive painful nerve blocks and nothing more than ibuprofen to deal with it.

November 14th, 2013
Do go here!
Dr. Fortman has time management issues. He may be overwhelmed with all that he has going on, because he cant keep up or keep on schedule at all. I waited at least an hour and fell asleep in the room. When I woke up I walked out to tell the nurse that I was leaving and he walked up putting his doctor jacket on. Always late!!!!! :(