Dr. James Smith MD Patient Reviews

2.4

April 3rd, 2015
Horrible Doctor
Yes. I do have Psoriatic Arthritis. He said I didnt.

July 18th, 2013
I have been seeing Dr. Smith for a year and a half, and he is my fourth rheumatologist in 22 years (one moved, I graduated from my children's hospital, I moved, etc). Since I've spent my entire life in rheumatology offices, I have a pretty dang good grasp on what a thorough exam looks like, on what my symptoms mean, etc. Dr. Smith calls himself "one of the smart ones" and condemns doctors who quickly diagnose anything because "they're ignoring all other possibilities." So his approach is to talk about what your pain could be, and not diagnose you at all. Today was my last appointment with him (I'm moving) and when I told him about the pain and swelling in my worst joint, he said, "Well, it could be tendonitis, could be fibromyalgia, could be anything really." He sort of looked at it, sort of felt it, and that was that. Not a diagnosis, not a recommendation, nothing. He didn't even look at any of my other joints. After a 5-10 minute appointment, he was done. When I first started going, I was depressed (had just moved to Portland, was still grieving the loss of my mother, etc) and he immediately pushed a psychiatrist on me who then pushed antidepressants on me. All I needed was someone to help me work through my grief, not push all this unnecessary crap on me. I stopped seeing the psych and stopped taking the meds (which made me worse), and he started pushing it again. He doesn't listen, and he'll latch onto one thing you say and misconstrue it until the end of time. He admonishes all doctors who seem to make convicted diagnoses, and even told me today (!!!!!) that the doctor who diagnosed my mother's rare autoimmune disease was probably wrong. With no other information. I was REALLY upset. They had tests to show that it was the correct diagnosis, yet he sat there and said it was probably wrong. Do not see this doctor. He will not listen to you, nor will he diagnose you. The office and staff members are AMAZING, but see a different rheumatologist. Please. Don't waste your time.

May 23rd, 2013
If I could give this Dr. Negative Stars i would!!
This was the worst experience i have ever had at a Dr.'s office. I have been to quite a few specialists in my day, but after a referal to see a RA Dr from both my general practitioner and the blood analyst who screened for RA (none found). i found NW Rheumatology on google. I made an appointment and this was the biggest mistake. The front office staff was friendly and welcoming, and even the nurse was efficient and seemed genuinely concerned for my well-being. That is where the good experience ended. From the moment this Dr. walked into the room he had a displeased expression. normally i can understand that there are a multi-tude of different responsibilities and concerns of a dr. However, as i have a large deductible it was important that i get the most from this visit. A very short exam later, where he did not even look me in the eye, he read my file (faxed from my general dr.) and said that it was in my head most likely and that i should see a psychiatrist. He then went on to say he had no idea why i was there as clearly i had no symptoms of RA and didn't know why my Dr. or the blood analyst would tell me to come to him. I then asked what he recommended to help me manage my pain issues as i have gone 3 weeks without a pain free night and it was affecting my job performance. He said other than what he said (above) there was nothing he could do. I will be reporting him and will NEVER go back to not only him or his practice

April 10th, 2013
Highly recommended
I have been a patient of Dr. Smith's for over 4 years and would definitely recommend him. He is extremely knowledgable and his staff really seem to care about you not only as a patient, but on a personal level as well. The office staff are very friendly too. After seeing numerous doctors before him, he is by far the best doctor I have had.