Surgeons
The Cancer Institute New Jersey
195 Little Albany St
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
732-235-7563
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

• Currently 3.3870967741935 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Forever Grateful  |  show details
Feb 3rd, 2014

I was first diagnosed with advanced melanoma by Dr. Goydos back in 2010. I knew after the first appointment with him that he was extremely knowledgeable and caring and I felt confident that I was getting the best treatment. He explained everything carefully and took the time to answer my questions. He performed the initial surgery and two thereafter and was successful in removing my tumors. Unfortunately with time my melanoma spread and he wisely recommended that I consider a clinical trial. I was scared and knew my future was uncertain but his upbeat demeanor gave me hope . I joined an Immunotherapy clinical trial that was of my own choosing and he endorsed what I chose and gave me excellent advise along the way. Long story short I am healthy now and forever grateful to Dr. Goydos . I have been diagnosed with no evidence of disease for more then three years and was fortunate to have all the excellent care that I received at the Cancer Center at Robert Wood Johnson.

|  Terrible doctor!  |  show details
Nov 8th, 2013

Please don't go to this doctor! He was so confident about my melanoma not spreading when all the while it was all over my body. Never did any scans just chest X-rays in the 4 years that I went to him!! Very incompetent!!! I am losing my life because of this man...

|  Don't listen to the last reviewer  |  show details
by Howard R. on Mar 6th, 2013

Dr. Goydos treated me for my melanoma and did a wonderful job. My melanoma had spread to my lymph nodes and he did all the surgeries and then sent me to a medical oncologist to take care of the scans and chemo (I didn't need chemo thank god). He is the surgeon - the medical oncologist takes care of you when your cancer has spread "all over your body" and Dr. Goydos made sure I saw the best. Also, he works for the University as a professor so the crack about making more money is just wrong since he gets a salary as far as I can tell.

|  Would not recommend this doctor.  |  show details
Feb 15th, 2013

I would never recommend Dr. Goydos. He pushed my husband aside after operating on him knowing that his melanoma spread throughout his body. He just had to make more money. My husband was going to him four years and he never did any pet scans or any other scans. Four years ago when he operated on him he should have treated him with chemo or radiation and he chose not to do either! My husband passed away 28 days after the second operation. Please don't go to this doctor !!!

|  show details
Jan 20th, 2013

What an experience, I was told I had an advanced melanoma two months ago and I just had my post op appointment with Dr. Goydos and everything came out ok. I have my life back. I am so glad my dermatologist sent me to Dr. Goydos. He is a very caring and energetic doctor. He talks a little fast but he also listens to me as if I was the only person in the world when I have questions or concerns. My family doctor told me that Dr. Goydos treated his son and he couldn't be happier with the outcome and his continued care.

|  One very happy patient!!  |  show details
Mar 13th, 2012

I'm one who reads the reviews of doctors before I make an appointment. Dr. Goydos was wonderful!! I was diagnosed with early melanoma and he preformed the surgury. He had a great bed side manner. He explained everything that was going to happen. During the surgury he was talking with me and it made me feel very comfortable. I wouldn't want to recommend him to anyone, for that would mean they have skin cancer, but if I had to, I would immediatly!! He's the best of the best!! Thank you so much Dr. Goydos!!

|  Highly Recommend  |  show details
Nov 28th, 2011

I was referred to Dr Goydos by another surgeon and although my first appointment was an hour wait he apologized and was informative, knowledgable and caring. I was comfortable from the moment I met him. Lolita Samuals (nurse practitioner) and Dr Goydos always answered all my questions, gave me information and were easy to access when needed. I was able to relax and put complete trust in Dr Goydos for my care. Lolita and Dr Goydos are upbeat caring people who I highly recommend.

|  Very Knowledgeable and Caring Doctor  |  show details
Oct 8th, 2011

I have nothing but praise for Dr. Goydos during my year and a half treatment for melanoma. Dr. Goydos is upbeat and informative and makes me feel good every time I see him. He genuinely cares and you can feel assured you are in good hands with his knowledge and insight. Cancer can be tough to beat and a lot easier to deal with when he is on your side....Sue B.

|  Worth the Wait - Highly recommended.  |  show details
Sep 16th, 2011

I had to wait about an hour to see Dr. Goydos during my first visit and I was a little steamed when he came in the door. But his manner quickly took all the anger out of me. He apologized for the wait and quickly got down to business. He knew my case (I had a nasty melanoma on my toe), let me talk and ask questions until I was satisfied, and explained everything about my cancer in detail but in clear language. I walked out of that appointment feeling better than I had in a long time. A really great doctor that knows his stuff and treats you like a human being.

|  Not What I Expected  |  show details
Jan 23rd, 2011

I was sent to Dr. Goydos by my Dermatologist becaused of a skin cancer on my nose. I didn't know what I was expecting when I went to The Cancer Institute but it certainly wasn't the caring, friendly, and very engaged Doctor who I met. Dr. Goydos put me right at ease, answered all of my questions (and a few I didn't even know to ask) and gave me a little education about my cancer. The operation when smoothly and I'm now back with my Dermatologist being followed. I can't recommend Dr. Goydos too highly and I will certainly go back to him if I ever get another cancer.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Dec 20th, 2010

Dr. James Goydos made me feel at ease at my first appointment. He took his time out and explained everything to me! And he made sure i had a understanding before i left.

|  I was really scared  |  show details
Jun 27th, 2010

I was diagnosed with a really rare form of cancer called Merkel Cell. It was a tiny bump on my skin but got bigger. My Dermatologist told me there was only one Doctor I should see and he helped get me into see Dr. Goydos at the Cancer Institute of New Jersey within a week. I looked Merkel Cell up on the internet and found out it was bad but little else. None of my other doctors knew about this form of cancer and I was scared when I arrived for my appointment. When Dr. Goydos walked intot he room he had a smile on his face and quickly put me at ease. He seemed to know exactly what I had and how to treat it. I'm having an operation next week and I'm still scared by I know I am in good hands. When you get a diagnosis like mine you need a doctor like Dr. Goydos, professional, knowledgable, and caring.

|  Great Cancer Surgeon and Great Doctor  |  show details
May 8th, 2010

Dr. Goydos came highly recommended by my other doctors but when I went to the appointment I still expected the same old rushed exam and cursory answers to my questions. I was pleasantly surprised when Dr. Goydos turned out to be a warm, caring individual who really listened to my concerns and answered all of my questions - sometime in more detail than I expected. He knew my case before coming in the door and outlined the treatment he recommended in clear language. I have advanced melanoma and Dr. Goydos is a true expert in this field. I underwent my operation two weeks ago and everything turned out fine. I can't recommend Dr. Goydos more highly as a cancer surgeon and caring, knowledgeable professional.

|  Judy Miller  |  show details
by Judy Miller on Mar 6th, 2010

Dr. Goydos is a wonderful doctor. He performed a very complicated operation on me and probably saved my life. He is caring and has a wonderful bedside manner. I see that one person wrote bad comments about Dr. Goydos. He is obviously angry but do not believe a word he says. Dr. Goydos performs complex surgeries and not everyone is greatful. I recommend Dr. Goydos to anyone who needs an outstanding surgeon.

|  The Very Best  |  show details
by Marty Horak on Dec 11th, 2009

Dr. Goydos removed a rather large and invasive melanoma from my back. For the next five years he and his assistant Lolita saw me and have an unbelievable bedside manner in putting a patient at ease during a very trying time. I have recommended Dr. Goydos to others and they ahve all come away with the same feeling. Dr. Goydos, Lolita and the entire staff getr my highest thanks and recommendations.Marty HorakSmithville NJ

|  Saved my life  |  show details
by Tom Clarke on Aug 25th, 2009

Dr. Goydos treated me for melanoma and then followed me in a study for 10 years. His bedside manner is terrific, his support staff especially Head administrative nurse Lolita is outstanding.

|  show details
Mar 18th, 2009

Excellent Staff

|  a poorly qualified surgeon  |  show details
by Dr. Anthony Malczanek on Sep 3rd, 2008

Dr. Goydos performed a minor and easy surgery, by removing a melanoma from my back. During the surgery he severed my spinal accessory nerve and partially but permanently disabled my left arm. More than that, the place where the nerve was severed (cut) is a permanently ultra-sensitive spot and it's a daily nuisance. My advice: Avoid this unprofessional, whenever it's possible!