Dr. James Hays MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.1

January 30th, 2016
Worst Endocrinologist EVER!!
The worst doctor ever! Misdiagnosed me in 2005. Luckily was able to get in with another doctor. Ended up having papillary cancer and had to have a complete thyroidectomy

June 24th, 2015
Doctor Hays is a horrible person that doesn't care about his patients.

September 24th, 2013
DO NOT GO TO THIS DOCTOR
i was suddenly hit with all the signs of low blood sugar a few times a week. if i had a glass of oj and a bagel afterwards, all my symptoms would go away. one day at work though i passed out and i wasn't allowed to return without a doctor's note. my mother recommended dr hays to me and when i think about how the appointment went, i can't decide whether to laugh or cry. i waited over an hour to see him and in the middle of telling him what happened at work, he cut me off and blamed it on anxiety. i asked how he comes to that conclusion without listening to the whole story. he pointed to the sign in the room that said "symptoms of hypoglycemia", which i had ALL of, and said "i know you are experiencing syptoms like that, but panic attacks can come in many forms". then he had me lie down on the table and laughed when he lifted up my shirt and saw my tinea versicolor. then he put my shirt back down. i have NO idea why he lifted my shirt in the first place, he didn't check anything (i'm a girl so it seemed creepy). he told me i should be on an anti-depressant. then he said, and i'm not joking, "they tend to help a lot of people. i'm not exactly sure how they work, but they do help". !!!!!!!! then he told me to look into therapy. i asked him if he could recommend me anyone and he told me the name of a psychiatrist who is "nearly impossible to get an appointment with but could try reaching". he rolled his eyes and said he "guessed" we could do some bloodwork, then promptly left the room without saying anything else. i wandered around til i found the bloodwork station. no idea what they are testing my blood for. they sent me off with no doctor's note, prescription, or the psychiatrist recommendation. i had to go back, and they made me wait a half hour for the note, and said they would call in the prescription. it's been a few days, and it still hasn't been called in yet. currently asking friends for recommendations on a new doctor. dr hays is rude, condescending, and a creep. never again!!!!!!

September 7th, 2013
Would not recommend
Dr Hays is an excellent endocrinologist if you can put up with his arrogant, impatient, dismissive, sarcastic manner; his refusal to answer questions in a helpful way; his horrible system for patient management--you leave without a prescription, you get your lab tests done, in one week you call his office and his staff then gives him your chart to review and calls in the prescriptions you need. At your next visit he reviews the now months old lab report, gives you a scrip for lab tests, and when you call a week later you get a prescription for the meds you need til your next visit. And on and on. Why doesnt he give you a scrip for tests to have done a week before your next visit so he can go over the results with you?

May 29th, 2013
Awesome "bedside manner"
Dr. Hays has been my endocrinologist since 2009. He was recommended by his peers. He diagnosed me with thyroid cancer and sent me to a surgeon, but did awesome follow up. I have had 3 biopsies total. His calm, professional demeanor helped me get through each one more easily. I love this Dr. and would recommend him.

March 25th, 2013
Go some where Else I Did
I went to this guy once. I never had a issue with is staff, however doctor Hays on the other hand was. First off went to Dr hays to help me with low Testosterone or find a solution how to raise or fix it to normal levels. I did some background reading and inquired about the test gel or injections. his reply was a guy my age will be on the injections the rest of my life I started that. Ok what does that have to do with me. In short he refused to take and check my blood levels due to me being on multivitamins and vitamin D from GNC because he believes all their items attribute to low test. Further, the man inquired if I ever used steroids because of my body composition. I'll skip this doctor if I was you, and I wondered why it was so easy to get an appointment with this practice, no I know!!!

February 5th, 2013
unreal
Recommended by a sales tech for a continuous glucose monitor. Visit #1 Nice guy seems knowledgeable, Ok to good staff. Told to turn down pump for to many lows and FAX sugars along with eating specs. First and second Fridays info sent with question and expected answers. One month visit I didn’t complain told him I turned it up. Asked for results of first visit with regards to blood work in which he was to test to see If i produced any insulin. "Good Question" No answer. Continued to fax continued same answers. None. Get and pay bill. On bill I again why no answers to my FAX sugars and questions on settings. Payment of course quickly processed no return call or message. Go to next appointment with a planned heart to heart with Doctor Hays welcomed with a locked door. Called and talked to their answer service and they dont know why this unplanned closing. Thinking they would have had enough respect to call right away the next day I call them. Asking her she said it was for the 18th not the thirteenth. That’s a Sunday. Reasons for not any reply’s Maybe he thought what I was providing was good and no reply needed. Not Possible! Rescheduled another month. Next morning realizing I’m going to run out of insulin call office and they say he will call it in today. Surprise it didn’t happen. Called the emergency service Three times that evening. My last message was YOU’RE FIRED. I have never been thru this kind of nonsense before. I ask myself is it him or his staff. I thing both in either case a terrible combination. All bad you see in reviews is true, I’ve experienced it

January 23rd, 2013
Pleasantly surprised by my experience
Dr Hays came highly recommended by his peers. After reading the previous reviews on this page I was expecting to have an awful experience at Dr Hays office. I was very pleasantly surprised by my visit! The office staff was courteous, professional, accommodating and very friendly! Dr Hays was easy to talk with, listened well and gave me a realistic approach to treatment of my condition. I felt comfortable with his professional capabilities and am relieved to have someone of his expertise helping me. Overall I would say that I had a wonderful experience.

September 5th, 2012
I love Dr. Hays!
I have been seeing Dr. Hays for the past 4 years now regarding a thyroid disorder. Despite the poor reviews, I think he and his staff are great. Dr. Hays is definitely no nonsense when it comes to your health, which is why he will be displeased when it appears that he cares more about your health than you do. Having been under his care, he has not only adjusted my thyroid levels so I can have a better quality of life, but his diligence has also led to an early detection of thyroid cancer. I am very happy and satisfied with Dr. Hays and his practice.

September 2nd, 2012
I do not recommend this doctor at all. Horrible bedside manner. Doesn't remember past appointments. Makes promises he can't keep. Won't return phone calls.

August 16th, 2012
Go to ANYONE ELSE
Save yourself some time & misery and go to any other doctor. He is a pompous, unprofessional, jerk. He has a horrible reputation even among other doctors. He will not pay attention to your health, and that is not what most people want from a doctor.

July 10th, 2012
one woman in his staff is terribly rude
I can handle Dr. Hays. There is just one woman on his staff that accused me of not paying for a previous office visit (they did not file claim w/my ins. co.). His billing dept. verified this! Then, she wrote my prescriptions wrong! I continually have to call to refill my presc. which is stressful. This woman stresses me out every time I go to see him. I'm looking for a new doctor for this reason only.