Ophthalmologist

8580 Scarborough Dr
Ste 125
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
719-282-1211
Locations and availability (5)

2.5

|  Does not treat patients well.  |  show details
by Rick Ramey on Apr 23rd, 2014

On March 19, 2014 I went to Dr. James H. Lee M.D. for a routine Eye Exam. When I handed them my Anthem Blue Cross / Blue Shield Vision insurance card they asked for my Cigna Health Card as well. I told them I would give it to them, but I had Vision insurance with Anthem insurance that was a $10 co-pay and not to charge my Cigna Insurance card. They said it was only for their records and they would use the Anthem insurance card. They did the eye exam but forgot to put the dilation drops in. After sitting for 30 minutes in the waiting room, I asked them how long it was going to take to finish the exam because I had to pick up my son from school and was going to be late. That is when they realized they had not done the dilation drops. I could not stay any longer and asked if I could come back later to finish the test. They apologized and said that would be okay. On April 7th I called and made a appointment to have the dilation test only done. But on April 6th I received an E.O.B. from Cigna stating they paid for an eye exam and I owed Dr. James Lee a $50 co-pay. I brought this letter with me to my April 7th visit. When I arrived I told the receptionist and the nurse that took me back, that I was just there for the follow up dilation test that was not done on my previous visit and that they had accidently charged the wrong insurance card. The nurse and insurance administrator for the office tried to tell me that he found I had diabetes and that is why he charged Cigna. I explained to them that my diabetes is very minimal and is controlled by medicine. I also told them that he did not find diabetes and that after the eye examination I informed him of the diabetes and asked him if I needed to do anything different. He just said to be sure to have the dilation test done every year (which is what he forgot to do). The insurance administrator said that she had already charged Cigna and could do nothing about that, but she would charge today’s visit to Anthem. I informed her she would not charge today’s visit to anyone since it was just a follow visit to finish what they forgot to do on the first visit. I also told her she needed to tell Cigna of the mistake and reimburse them. She should then charge Anthem insurance instead. She said she could not do that because they showed it as a diabetes test. Anthem would not cover it and they could not recharge Cigna if that happened. Therefore, I would have to pay the full bill. I informed her I was not going to pay the full bill for their mistake and that I should only have to pay the $10 co-pay. When Dr. Lee came in, I informed him of the problem as well. For some reason he repeated the entire eye exam again. I further complained of the dual exam and their insistence to charge both Cigna and Anthem for the two exams, and wanting me to pay both Cigna’s $50 co-pay and Anthem $10 co-pay (a total of $60). Finally Dr. Lee agreed not to charge for the April 7th test but they still insisted I owed them a $50 co-pay. I refused to pay the $50 and told them I would only pay $10. The insurance administer then noticed that back in August 2013 when I had no Vision insurance coverage at all, that I had paid them $40 for an eye exam. They had charged Cigna back then as well and Cigna had paid the full amount of the bill. They had owed me $40 but never bothered to tell me they were holding that money. So she decided to take my $10 and the $40 they never reimbursed me for and call it even. I informed her that I only owed $10 and she should reimburse me the $40 she was trying to steal from me. She then decided to call Cigna and find out why they paid the full amount because she felt I should have had to pay a co-pay back then, also. Cigna agreed that I should have paid a co-pay back in August but they made a mistake and paid the full balance. Cigna said too much time had elapsed and they would continue to pay the full amount for the August visit. Dr. James Lee’s insurance administrator said she was still not going to reimburse me the $40. She was still going to apply it to the March visit and collect $10 more from me. She did agree they should not have charged Cigna this time but that it was already done and she was not going to change it. I feel that I should not have had to pay for their mistake. I made it very clear when I went in on March 19th that I was there for a routine eye exam and not to charge my Cigna Insurance card. They agreed at that time to use my Anthem Insurance card. It was their mistake for charging the wrong card and they should reimburse me the $40 they held from August when Cigna paid the full bill. That money belongs to either Cigna or me, not Dr. James Lee. I feel he has stolen my money to cover for his mistake and has been very unprofessional in this matter. What kind of doctor would do the same eye exam just three weeks apart and try to charge two different insurances companies for the same procedure when the second one was just to complete what he forgot to do on the first one. This very inappropriate.

|  Bott  |  show details
by Mary on Nov 6th, 2013

I was diagnosed with cataracts and I was very nervous about my condition. I was referred to the Lee Eye Institute for cataract surgery. I had so many concerns with the procedure since I have never had surgery before and was terrified that I might go blind if something went wrong. I expressed my uneasiness to Dr. Lee and he was very comforting. He ensured that I was in good hands and that he and his staff would be by my side through the entire process. The surgery went as well as I had hoped and now my vision is great. Thanks Dr. Lee!

|  Retired nurse  |  show details
by Annie Gillen on Mar 29th, 2011

I was at Memorial North with a severe eye problem on Saturday afternoon before Easter. The ER physician called Dr. Lee's office to set up an appointment to see me as soon as possible. Dr. Lee saw me in his office on Easter Sunday 2010 to assess my condition. I found him to be professional, accurate and most gracious. I rate him as a high five!

|  show details
Feb 21st, 2011

Dr Lee was in a big hurry and didn't take the time to discuss anything about my condition. He was not someone i could trust with my glacoma condition. I did not make an appointment to go back and when i received his bill for one visit it was $458.00 my insurance will not even come close to covering that cost.