Dr. James Halikas MD Patient Reviews

2.9

• Good
  • Bad

July 20th, 2017
Dr. Halikas is an excellent doctor. Experienced and caring. I highly recommend him

July 9th, 2015
BEWARE
I saw Dr. Halikis for almost 4 years, and our average appointment lasted about 10 minutes. I used him purely to renew the prescription anti- depressants I was already taking when I began seeing him. I would never have considered using him for a talk therapist, due to his arrogant nature. On the visit before my last, I saw a family member in the waiting room and realized we were using the same Dr. (no big deal I thought). On my next appointment I was immediately asked questions about my relationship with that family member. I was then admonished for my lack of relationship with this person, and told that I needed to start communicating with them immediately whether that was good for me or not. He had no idea what my actual relationship with them was or the history behind it. I have never felt so inappropriately and unprofessionally attacked by a “CARE GIVER”. I would never recommend Dr Halikis. I thought that I was safe because I was just getting my anti-depressants from him. BEWARE! If you are seeing him for script refills you may end up with some highly unsolicited and abusive “therapy”.

February 13th, 2015
Psychologist
He seems good at administering meds. I prefer to "talk" therapy.

January 4th, 2014
needs to retire
Been seeing this man for 2 years and still not better. The psychologist with him is wonderful, but cannot prescribe meds. Dr.Halikas has been doing this for too long and needs to retire. Unsympathetic and cold.

March 20th, 2013
Do not use this quack! A Joke!
This practice is a joke! Made an appt. After an hour wait, I went and asked about my appt. There was still one more in front of me. I was taken back and explained to Dr. Halikas that I had already waited for an hour. He said in a very condescending voice that the typical wait time is 2-3 hours! He explained that I could get an appt on fridays with an actual time for an extra $150! While sitting in the waiting room, he was takiing patients back in 10-15 min increments. I got the feeling he was one of those dr.s that just gives you drugs and no therapy. You can not do therapy in 10 minutes! Do not use!

March 5th, 2013
Terrible Experience
I took my son to Dr. Halikas for evaluation and maintenance of his psychiatric medications. My son had recently been released after 55 days in detox and rehab. from Suboxone. He still had cravings and told Dr. Halikas he wanted to go back on Suboxone during the visit. I vehemently protested for three reasons: my son went through terrible withdrawal syptoms getting off Suboxone, his life had been stalled and nonexistant while on Suboxone for four years, and he has no money to pay for Suboxone. I openly pleaded my case that we were there for psychiatric medication maintenance only. But this so called doctor totally ignored me and proceeded to give my son a prescription for Suboxone after I had walked out of the office. As a result, my son stole money from me to get 10 days worth of Suboxone and then landed back in rehab where he remains today. To add insult to injury. this so called "doctor" charged me $1200 for this visit and two subsequent visits (even after being told we are from Pennsylvania and would not be around for the future visits.) I plan to seek legal advice.

February 27th, 2013
Known him professionally
He is a 'crusty crab' with a heart of gold. After having worked in the addiction/pain field many years; one just may get tired of some of the clients and their stories-perhaps he has figured out some ways to separate the wheat from the chafe. I have heard some wonderful, warm stories about him over the years in addressing some people's deepest and darkest depressions-when no one else would/could go there.

September 19th, 2012
Dr Halikas is in wrong field
Dr Halikis is supposed to be an expert in additions. When I relapsed he said he was very disappointed in me. He of all people should know this is a disease of relapse!!!! This was after a $1000 a month of treatment....

August 30th, 2012
:-(
After only seeing him a few times, I was told that I was basically un-fixable and would need to be on meds forever (which was proven wonrg because I have been off for a year). I was also prescribed medication that interacted with my heart medication. The pharmacist saw a red flag and new that I should stop the new medicine right away, while the doctor continued to push me to take it... not happy.

June 8th, 2012
Good man, intelligent, terrible staff
Dr. Halikas is fairly good at his job, though a bit quick to diagnose. Nevertheless, he's probably among the better doctors available on my health plan, which may speak volumes as to how iffy my healthcare plan is; however, this bears little relevance. His weak point has nothing to do with him personally, but rather the staff manning the telephones. I've on a number of occasions been put on hold, hung up on, and then put through to voicemail upon redialing the number. He could certainly use a shake-up of staff, due to their being wholly unprofessional and entirely less than courteous. I'd recommend Dr. Halikas if you need a good psychiatrist, and are willing to make an appointment for an hour earlier than you expect to be treated. Perhaps that's because of his being in great demand, or perhaps it's an externality (like his accepting of healthcare plans that leave little choice). All he needs to do is hire new secretaries and he'd probably be a top-rated doctor (though maybe he's hired said secretaries to keep his waiting time from being even longer by having more clients coming back). Needless to say, if he does not address this issue, I won't come back.

May 24th, 2012
Superb psychopharmacologist

February 25th, 2011
FAIR AND TRUSTS YOU AS YOU CONVEY HONESTLY
DR HALIKAS IS THE ONLY DOCTOR THAT WILL TRUST WHAT YOU TELL HIM UNTIL LIKE MOST PATIENTS LIE DECIEVE OR TRY TO TOO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF HIM. HE BELIEVES WHAT YOU TELL HIM UNTIL YOU START CHANGING YOUR STORY ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK IS WRONG WITH YOU , WHEN TRUST IS LOST BETWEEN DOCTOR HALIKAS AND YOUR DISHONESTLY FIRST OF ALL HE KNOWS YOU HAVE LIED THE MAN HAS MORE EXPERIENCEAND IS EXTREMELY INTELGENT.MY EXPERIENCE WITH DR HALIKAS IS BE HONEST AND HE WILL MAKE EVERY EFFORT AND TRY DIFFERENT MEDICATIONS UNTIL YOU FEEL BETTER THEN BEFORE YOU CAME TO HIM IM MORE THEN SATISFIED WITH HIM BECAUSE HE TRULY CARES ABOUT ME AND WANTS ME TOO BE HAPPYAND HE WONT GIVE UP ON YOU AS LONG AS YOUR TELLING HIM EXACTLY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU