Neurological Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Dr. Harrop is an excellent physician show details Dr. Harrop is an excellent physician
by Marc Polett on Jul 22nd, 2015

I had a herniated disc (L4/L5) and Dr. Harrop performed a partial lumbar discectomy. Going into the surgery I was in more pain then I had ever experienced and taking as many pain killers as my pain management doctor would allow. After the surgery, I didn't even need a Tylenol. After a few weeks of recovery I returned to recreational boxing and running. The surgery was in March of 2011 and four years later I am still free of pain and living an active lifestyle. If I had to mention one negative, it would that he would frequently fall behind with his appointments and the wait could be up to half an hour. It was my experience that he took his time with patients and didn't rush them out the door. I would definitely recommend Dr. Harrop.

Jul 1st, 2015

I had a spinal fusion in 2011. I have been in pain ever since. I could not get any help from him after he did my surgery. I just gave up trying.

May 14th, 2015

Miracle worker

I love this man! show details I love this man!
Apr 22nd, 2015

Dr. Harrop is by far the best. I was having insane nerve pain in my leg and I am so glad I found this guy! He just recently removed my spinal cord tumor as well as fixed a herniated disc. At my pre-op he explained in detail what he was going to do and made me feel very comfortable with the procedure. On my third day in the hospital at 6am he came in to do his rounds. I do not remember a word he said and hours later my nurse told me I was being discharged. I felt that was too soon to go home so I asked her if I would be seeing Dr. Harrop before I left. She assured me that he only does 6am rounds and does not come back onto the floor until the next morning. Not even 10 minutes later he comes walking into my room! He said he was in between surgeries and just wanted to check on me! He was comfortable with me going home so I felt comfortable with it. I am now almost just over 2 weeks post-op and I feel amazing. I am finally pain free and can walk normally again. His two nurses, Bessie and Sue, are amazing as well!

Mar 18th, 2015

Amazing doc!

It's Your Life show details It's Your Life
Aug 2nd, 2014

Don't make the wrong decision it's your life. Operated on by Dr. Harrop 4 years ago and from the beginning after surgery just more and more Very Painful Problems and just more and more run around by this surgeon so now I am Totally Disabled thanks to this doctor. If I were to tell you the whole story you would just think I am nuts.

What You Can Expect if Something Goes Wrong show details What You Can Expect if Something Goes Wrong
Jul 22nd, 2012

Upon my last visit before surgery Dr. Harrop described what he intended to do. Well it did not include many thing that were done like Fusing 5 Disc not 3, operating from front and rear not just the rear. I am 2 years Post Op and left in Tremendous Pain and all I can get from this Doctor is one Big Run Around. I have seen over 7 other Doctors and been put on a regimen of Vitamins, all Worthless. 2 of the Specialist I have seen have come beck with A Failed Spinal Surgery. Yes hee gives you that feeling of Comfort and Assurance but don't be fooled by that nice personality as he can be very convincing. There also were suppose to be 2 Spine Surgeons in the OP Room and from what I can tell only 1 but this other Phantom Doctor got $16K for nothing. They don't use any modern teckniques just Cut and Chop/ I was left with a 1/8" gap in my Spinal Column and he couldn't understand why it wasn't Fusing together, just maybe because he didn't set the bone close enough. I am in 3 times the Pain prior to Dr. Harrop cutting and chopping away. Last the Ratings on Jefferson have dropped significantly. You Better be Careful with both and I Pray you don't fine yourself as I did.

Jul 3rd, 2012

Dr. Harrop has a very comforting manner about him and makes me, as a patient , feel very good. His nursing staff also is very skilled and caring. I have a difficult to diagnose back condition that Dr. Harrop and his staff are determined to correct.The office staff is a little less organized and are in a transition of moving offices.

Excellent Doctor and Great Man show details Excellent Doctor and Great Man
May 30th, 2012

Dr. Harrop is in my opinion one of the best doctors anywhere! His combination of knowledge, skill, caring and humanity is excellent. Being a nurse and knowing and seeing many doctors in action brings me to conclusion. I recommend this Doctor to anyone with Neurological problems!cmj

Dr. Harrop is an exceptional doctor show details Dr. Harrop is an exceptional doctor
May 3rd, 2012

After searching around for a doctor to take out my spinal cord tumor I ended my search with Dr. Harrop. My local doctors were trying to keep my surgery close to home, but after seeing who they recomended I knew I had to keep looking. The first visit with Dr. Harrop he reviewed step by step my condition and was confident that he could remove it and has removed similar tumors. It was a very risky surgery but he took every precaution. My husband and I felt very comfortable with dr harrop. Good bedside manor. He even went a step further and is the first Dr. to red flag my medical history and inform me that I might have a medical condition that is causing the tumors. Other doctors just looked right past them. I am 36 and doing well in my recovery. Thanks to Dr. Harrop.

Spinal Surgery Difficult Spinal Surgery show details Spinal Surgery Difficult Spinal Surgery
Dec 11th, 2011

When Dr. Harrop operated on me I was 63 and had a failed surgery frrom another doctor about 4 years before.; He is Very Percise, Tells you exactly what he is going to do and does it. He is a Very Positive and an Excellent amount of knowledge. I can only Rate Dr. Harrop Very High.

y Spinal Surgery show details y Spinal Surgery
Oct 12th, 2011

After a number of visits we both agreed Surgery was the only option. I had seen a number of Surgeons from Penn., Jeff, Hopkins. etc and had been through everything, Spinal Stimulator, Epidurals, etc. This surgery turned out to be much more complex and difficult that I could imagine. My 1st choice was a Neuro from Penn and he would not operate saying He was Afraid he would just put me in more Pain than I am experiencing. He was absolutely CORRECT I am almost 2 years Post and each month the Pain continues to get worse. Now I am left with very little choices as you can not find any Good Surgeon that will even speak with me. If you take a Bad Situation and make it Worse no other Surgeon will jump in and Correct another Surgeon's mistakes. Before the surgery I could control the Pain with Meds and now the Meds don't even help. This was Horrible (8) hour Operation and I am much Worse Off. Be extremely careful when chosing Surgeons and it definitely seems I made the Wrong Choice.

i love these guys show details i love these guys
Oct 14th, 2010

so far so good.they got me figured out where others failed.stephanie is the best for setting things up in a difficult time.dr happop is the bomb

Aug 19th, 2010

Great Neuro Surgeon who handled a very complex operation to my spine. He also has other doctors that have great repretations working with him. Personally after 6 years of my vegetating away he gave me life again. I would highly recommend him to anyone. No Jersey Hospitals you have only one spine so get the best you can Jefferson and Dr. Harrop.