inactive

James Hellerman MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

October 30th, 2014
horrible customer service
billing department was tremendously rude and unaccommodating. Doctor sent lab work to Phelps hospital (knowing it was out of network for my insurance plan) and I was consequently billed over $500 for my visit. Doctor was pleasant but staff was incredibly rude and unprofessional.

March 5th, 2014
Staff doesn't know what they are doing! They don't plan well, and they lie! I was going for a 2nd radiation scan that he recommended after my thyroid surgery, and his office was supposed to order Thyrogen injections for me prior to the scan, (so I wouldn't have to go off my thyroid meds, which would make me very, very tired). So I made the the appointments while I was there. They said they would order the meds. I went on my low iodine diet 2 weeks later (which is VERY restrictive), then the day before I was supposed to go in for injections, his office called, confused why I had 2 appointments, and wanted me to choose one. I told them I needed both because I was supposed to get an injection on both days. Her response was "Oh, yeah, now I remember....ummmm. We don't keep thyrogen in the office." I said "I know, that's why we made the appointments over a month a go...to give you time to order it!" I wasted 2 weeks of time and dieting and had to reschedule my scan. Now I had to go off my medications for 3 weeks this time. Very unprofessional. Then they told the hospital where I was getting the scan that my insurance didn't cover the Thyrogen, that's why it had to be rescheduled. "That's not true I told the hospital, they forgot to order the meds." The doctor at the hospital said "well, that's what they told us." If that's true, I said, why didn't they call and tell me it wasn't covered, instead of calling confused about why I had 2 appointments?!?!" Because they are liars, that's why!

October 21st, 2013
I have been Dr. Hellerman's patient for appx. 8 years. I have always been able to get an appointment with ease. His staff is always courteous and professional. Dr. Hellerman is meticulous when diagnosing and documenting. He's been listed in Westchester Magazine as one of the top 100 doctors in the county.

September 18th, 2012
THE WORST DR.. I HAVE EVER GONE TO
THE DR. SPOKE DOWN TO ME, HE DID NOT DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM AT ALL... HE DID NOT WANT TO HERE WHAT I HAD TO SAY, HE PRETTYMUCH JUST SAT THERE AND MOCKED ME AND CALLED ME A LIAR AND SAID TO ME "YOU TELL A NICE STORY" WHEN I WAS TELLING THE TRUTH BACKED UP BY PAPERWORK AND BLOOD TESTS THAT HE HADNT EVEN SEEN YET!!! THE WORST PART IS I WAS EVEN ASKING FOR AND PRESCRIPTION , I WAS JUST GOING TO DIAGNOSE A PROBEM AND HE DIDNT WANT TO HEAR IT!! I STRONGLY SUGGEST IN NOT MAKING AN APPT WITH THIS DOCTOR!!!! HE MADE ME FEEL EXTREMELY UNFOMFORTABLE AND JUST WEIRD,, NOT TO MENTION HE DID NOT EVEN TAKE MY PULSE, HT, LBS, OR BLOOD PRESSS!! WHAT A BAD DR.!!

February 14th, 2012
I have been seeing Dr. Hellerman for several years. I had half my thyroid removed in 2000 and a few years later, when I needed to start taking thyroid medication I started seeing him. Get the earliest appt you can in the scheduled day, the later you come in the day, the longer you will wait to see him. He'll spend as much time as you need with you, never rushes you and will alwaqys answer any questions. His staff is lovely as well and you can book appts very far in advance (like if you only go every 6 months or more you can book the next one before you leave). He has more hours than he used to also, so it's not so diffucult to make an appt. They don't take credit cards for payment though, so you have to remember to bring your checkbook (I forgot last time and scrounged through my bag for the co-pay).

January 18th, 2012
I have been going to Dr. Hellerman for several years. He assessed my condition very quickly and I am very confident in his skills.

November 3rd, 2011
Needs to retire.
Office hardly open. While there for a visit he couldn't wait to leave. Mentioned he was late for golfing with his buddies. Tried to make follow up appointment, but as I would have to wait too long to get one, didn't and never came back. Missed pre-diabetes even though predisposed by another condition (PCOS), and now have full blown diabetes. Doesn't care, no hours,no help = Retire please.