Dr. James Heltzer MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

February 17th, 2016
A Blessing!
I would recommend anyone to Dr. Heltzer's practice. He is very professional and knowledgeable in his field. His demeanor is very calming and puts you at ease. I know that I am receiving the best information regarding my diagnosis and being guided in the right direction for my care. I have often complimented him on his staff. They are always so friendly and helpful.

December 23rd, 2015
Wow. Worst visit I ever had. First off the staff is rude. There is Julie at the front desk who is mean, abrupt and makes the whole experience a nasty one. The doc is a nice guy but he runs so far behind that he spends no time with you and rushes through the visit. Before I could ask any questions, he starts walking backwards out the door as he is talking. Then You have the great delight of having to deal with queen Julie again. In the words of one of the nicer front desk girls, "dont worry about Julie, you don't have to see her everyday like some of US. Merry Christmas!" Not a good experience. Am not going back. May try his partner out instead. I hear he is a class act. But that means I would have to see Julie again. .......

August 24th, 2015
True expert in field
Extremely skilled and professional. True expert in the field. And great perk: great personality. Very funny.

May 7th, 2015
Performed my cataract surgery. He and his staff were excellent.

November 9th, 2013
Not Awesome
This was probably amongst the worst medical experiences ever. and most expensive. I check in 15 minutes prior to my meeting as required. Then that is where the saga began. I waited 3 hours for my exam! My billable hours are $600 an hour. I waited 3 hours in a cramped, hot, noisy waiting room with old magazines for nothing. Then when I complained, the front desk staff says that Heltzer books 45 patients per day. That means he sees 7 patients per hour. That means he spends about 8 minutes per patient. But it gets better. Because of those eight minutes--you spend 6 of them with some nurse. He runs in for (like seriously) 45-75 seconds. He looked rushed, sweaty, nervous, and upset. I had no confidence at all in anything he said. Oh and to top it all off like a giant cherry, because this simple eye exam had now become a four hour ordeal, his parking lots charged me a massive parking fee for the maximum daily amount. And I was charged some so-called refraction fee for the eye exam his nurse gave me. And they even tried to sell me some $800 eye glasses. This guys is a real work of art. Here is my take: Heltzer is McDonalds Medicine at Ritz Carlton Prices. One thing I am sure about, I will never go back and this is certainly not the same practice that Dr. Chavis created. It is a disgrace.

November 7th, 2013
Life Altering
I was certainly fearful about the changes in vision in both of my eyes. I saw Dr. Heltzer and he was able to diagnose the two different types of cataracts I had, I found the office to be efficient and the staff to be friendly, comforting and knowledgeable. More importantly, Dr. Heltzer assuaged my fears and I had the cataracts removed and intraocular lenses inserted. I am able to see better than I have been seeing in decades. Dr. Heltzer's "bedside" manner is comforting and he was able to explain to me in layperson's terms all of what I was experiencing, what was involved in the procedures and what to expect after. I recommend Dr Heltzer without reservation or hesitation.

August 2nd, 2013
Yuck
I have three words to say about my experience here: YUCK, YUCK, YUCK. And then when I bought a pair of eye glasses and they broke in less than 3 months--the lenses literally popped out of the frame, the guy would not fix it. Said not covered by the warranty, When I complained to office, they said they have nothing to do with the optical shop and take no responsibility for the quality of eye glasses and eye ware sold in the middle of their waiting room. can you believe that? seriously? Really? Seriously? They said they are two totally different companies. Whatever dude.

January 22nd, 2013
So-So
Extremely long wait in the waiting room and to see him, he was okay doctor but had very unfitting, incompetent staff. My first clue should have been when I called to schedule the appointment I could barely understand the woman's broken English??? Very unprofessional.

October 13th, 2012
He is ok
He is ok. Nice guy. Cant really say whether he is a good doctor. Im sure there are better ones out there. I know you wait forever in the waiting room to see him, he is always running behind by like hours. That can be annoying. That also means he you inevitably get a super rushed visit. Not impressed by the staff. Nice office, very bright, I like the windows. Not sure if I would recommend. Still on the fence about that one. Sorry couldnt be more helpful.

August 10th, 2012
Very knowledgeable & pleasant staff
Dr. Heltzer is a very knowledgeable, understanding and personable ophthalmologist. He is very familiar with the various eye disorders and was able to pinpoint my condition after thorough testing. The staff is very pleasant and professional as well. Will return to Dr. Heltzer the next time I need to see an eye doctor.

July 23rd, 2012
Bad Experience
I was very displeased. Had a Bad experience. And a Rushed visit. Rude staff. This is just my opinion of course. Others seem to like him fine. I do not.
Doctor's Response

I am sorry you had a bad experience and that you felt rushed. My philosophy in terms of time spent with patients has always been that "everything takes as long as it takes." For many years, I even refused to wear a watch in the office, because I never wanted to know if I was behind. I wanted to be entirely focused on the patient I was with. Although my wife now insists I wear a watch, that philosophy persists. Most patients tell me that our staffing is exceptional-- but I am always grateful when a patient tells me they've not had an ideal experience. I wish you could be more specific. It gives me the opportunity to correct the problem. I take these concerns very seriously.

October 30th, 2011
Solved my problem
Once diagnosed, I had many questions about my vision problems. Dr. Heltzer welcomed them and answered each question in detail. He explained in terms that i would understand and explained the pros and cons. I researched online and had more questions on next visit. Dr. Heltzer addressed those and I was very satisfied. He has a great manner.