Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon

2.5

Thoroughly pleased and appreciative! show details Thoroughly pleased and appreciative!
by Ann Walker on Jul 17th, 2016

I flew my 83 yr old mother from Delaware for hip replacement surgery. In 4 wks she flew back home and is pain free! I appreciated Dr. Holtzclaw's surgical and clinical skills. He is a man of few words but I appreciated his conciseness. My mother always felt at ease in his care. I also appreciated having access to a portal to email questions to his nurse Risa, who efficiently responded.

He's burnt out and it shows show details He's burnt out and it shows
Jul 8th, 2016

One day James holtclaw will need a doctor. I hope he's a better surgeon than he was to me.

Jul 6th, 2016

The worst

by Pf Savannah ga on Jul 1st, 2016

What happened to me was horrible. When I first met the surgeon we went over all the meds I take. I spoke to his nurse who scheduled me for preop one week 8 days before surgery. After pre op I go to my primary care. At the time of preop the nurse told me to stop taking baby aspirin and vitamins. Which I did. She signed me off. My primary doctor signed me off. Day of surgery I am being prepped by a stress out team. They started to give me Iv when I told him that I stopped baby aspirin 9 days ago they said that this is the only dr that wants 2 weeks off of aspirin. If he would have told me I would have complied. I was destroyed. I was so upset and i accuse the surgeon that this his fault. I googled his name 88 complaint dr. James Holtzclaw . I What happened to me was horrible. When I first met the surgeon we went over all the meds I take. I spoke to his nurse who scheduled me for preop one week 8 days before surgery. After pre op I go to my primary care. At the time of preop the nurse told me to stop taking baby aspirin and vitamins. Which I did. She signed me off. My primary doctor signed me off. Day of surgery I am being prepped by a stress out team. They started to give me Iv when I told him that I stopped baby aspirin 9 days ago they said that this is the only dr that wants 2 weeks off of aspirin. If he would have told me I would have complied. I was destroyed. I was so upset and i accuse the surgeon that this his fault. I googled his name 88 complaint dr. James Holtzclaw . I called the nurse from my primary and she's trying to get me a dr. I dropped off my records to another Ortho dr. Whelan but no responses yet. I'm disgusted and hurting. Very upset. Imagine being prepped for surgery then tell me it's cancelled because he is the only dr that make 2 weeks. No one told me. the nurse from my primary and she's trying to get me a dr. I'm disgusted and hurting. Very upset. Imagine being prepped for surgery then tell me it's cancelled because he is the only dr that make 2 weeks. No one told me. Holtzclaw lack medical management . Heartsick and depressing. This all could have been avoided if the so called surgeon was on top of it.

Jun 30th, 2016

The worst

Jun 29th, 2016

Dr holtclaw does not follow up with his patients review of records. He's nasty and probably got his degree form Clifford medical school. Continue your search

Mar 26th, 2016

Awful, very unprofessional. Rude. He did not do an exam. He was not courteous or try to diagnose me by my symptoms. I have never had such an awful experience with a doctor.

Stay far away from Dr Holtzclaw show details Stay far away from Dr Holtzclaw
by Michael on Feb 23rd, 2016

Dr Holtzclaw treated me for a leg injury and despite my intense pain and lack of mobility deemed me healthy. He said your x-rays look good and there's nothing else I can do."Time to get on with life" is his exact quote as he sent me out the door in pain. He never once examined my leg solely relying on x-rays. Dr Holtzclaw is a subpar physician who's unable to think outside the box while displaying little to no human emotion. Under no circumstance see Dr Holtzclaw!!

Hip Replacement show details Hip Replacement
by Sylvia Jacobs on Nov 10th, 2015

I had a hp replacement and it was great. He is a wonderful doctor. I would recommend him to anyone.

Look for Another Surgeon show details Look for Another Surgeon
Sep 10th, 2015

Do not blink, or you'll miss seeing the doctor. Dr. Hotlzclaw is one of those doctors who enters the room, skips any form of introduction and is out of the room before you can get in more than maybe one question. (I had to chase him out in the hallway to ask a question.) Decision to have surgery? He will decide and tell you so--but don't expect a discussion of outcomes, pros and cons of different approaches.

Good Dr. but not personable show details Good Dr. but not personable
Oct 11th, 2011

Made a quick appt. to see about getting my shoulder repaired. Dr. spent enough time with me but was not honest about the type of surgery I was having. I wanted a particular type of surgery, he said he would do it, then on day of surgery I was told he NEVEr does that type of surgery and I could make an appt. with one of his associates to have the surgery done the way I wanted it. By this time I was lying on the bed in the surgical center and my husband had already taken 3 days off work for this. The surgery went off alright though.

Sep 7th, 2011

I changed Dr after first appointment. He did not spend more than 2 minutes with me. Did not explain anything at first said I had a frozen shoulder then grabbed my arm and yanked it up causing INTENSE pain and said I have a torn rotator cuff and said I needed an MRI and exited the room before I could say a work. I was reeling. Needless to say, I am changing doctors. I think he may have damaged my shoulder further as the pain has been worse since my appointment.

16 Year Old Son show details 16 Year Old Son
Apr 12th, 2011

My 16 year old son was in a teriible car accident that broke literally every bone in BOTH legs. Dr. Holtzclaw performed surgery on him at 1 am to put rods in, and it has now been 5 months, and you are barely able to tell there was an accident. I firmly believe that if Dr. Holztclaw had not been there, there is a very good chance that my son may not have had such a successful recovery. Other ortho doctors even commented on how great his work was. It is nice to chat and feel comfy with your doc, but when it comes down to it, his work is what matters. And his work could not have been better!

Jan 4th, 2011

Terrible bedside manner. He was walking out the door after 2 minutes and didn't even ask if I had questions. Definitely would not recommend this doctor to another.

Bad Bedside show details Bad Bedside
Jun 21st, 2010

Definitely didn't like him. Terrible bedside manner; hard to trust.

office is managed very poorly show details office is managed very poorly
Jun 11th, 2010

after making my appoint with the office manager and confirming with my insurance that they are accepted basically double confirming that this office accepted my insurance i was turned away after waiting an hour because the office staff could not get in touch with my insurance company. as i watched another patient go into the office without an ID and with no proof of insurance. this tells me that this office could care less about their patients and is all about the dollar i would stay as far away from this pratice as possible. if there were a lower rating than poor i would select it.