Dr. James Hooper IV MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Tuscaloosa, AL

June 1st, 2015
Dr. Hooper is great, his staff is a different story

June 24th, 2014
patient
Dr. Hooper is is by far, in my 11 years in the psychological community, the best doctor that has been in charge of my care. He is extremely personable. From my very first visit, which I was naturally anxious, has made me feel totally normal and comfortable. We actually ran over my alotted time, due to him making certian he had a clear understanding as well as myself of all my symptoms, concerns, questions, medications and some insight to he was willing to stick by me until we found a regiment that both he and I were comfortable with. Also made it clear that there was no need to hide anything. Which was what I usually did to get what I wanted or the other doc's where in such a hurry to continue their "revolving" door of poor people truly seeking genuine help. He genuinely wants to help each and every patient and has personally gone out of his way to accommodate my sensitive needs and ive bared witness to him caringly doing so for others too. He never takes on more patients than he feels like he could not spend quality time with. Hes dedicated and has personally been a place of refuge and safe haven. And if I could not be honest anywhere else nor with anyone else I absolutely can with him. Unlike ANY other doctor, and there has been quite a few, that just exude impatience or confusion like im an alien and alone with my feelings even misdiagnosis. Which can easily happen but from past experience it was due tto inadequate knowledge of patient and problem and or down right refusal to provide myself with the necessary medication or resources due to nothing more than wanting to eek by doing the bare minimum or simply a miseducation. Overall he has been a true blessing. I consider myself a loyal patient as long as he is in practice. Im realistic in knowing due to ALL the individual personalities out there not everyone will think so highly of him. However, I along with ALOT of others do and that has been the popular opinion for a long time. I would truly be lost without his honesty, encouragement, care and concern. Thanks doc:)

April 27th, 2014
Best doctor ever!!
I was referred to dr hooper by one of my doctors and was told he was the beys to go to and I've been a patient for a couple of years now and wouldn't go anywhere else. Not only is his knowledge in his files outstanding but he is genuinely such a nice person who has the utmost care for his patients. Not only does he go above and beyond to provide patients with top notch care he listens and takes time to hear every concern and doesn't treat his patients like a "number ". He constantly shows every time that his patients come first and while most doctors never take the time to listen or get to know their patient or make them feel like they can literally have time to discuss concerns or things going on with their health and it's hard to find any doctor out there with so much compassion and love for what they do. Most just run right out of the room without ever allowing the patient to feel comfortable or like they can talk lol and I never feel like I'm ignored or unimportant. He is both intelligent and professional but also gives patients hope and better understanding of their health care needs and really goes above and beyond to make sure care is provided. I could write all day the great things about this doctor and I've never bn so pleased to be a patient as I am here. I've always felt that my needs were met and I'm always able to discuss my concerns feeling comfortable and at home really bc even tho he's such a great doctor he makes you feel like you're talking to a friend bc of his good heart and warm personality which makes it easier to talk and open up. His outstanding efforts and professionalism are a gift to the medical profession. I highly recommend anyone reading this to please become a patient bc you will not be disappointed. He's also affordable compared to some places , accepts most insurances and even tho I pay cash it's well beyond worth it bc of the amazing care I receive. His office staff is very sweet and professional as well and I always feel better after my appointments just from the care to the kindness of everyone that makes me feel valued as a patient. Above all I feel safe and secure and very happy I've found dr hooper and wouldn't dream of being seen by another doctor. His patients are his top priority and he treats everyone with respect and gives them the care they deserve. I've always heard patients remark of how happy they are as well , so I'm nt the only one who has had an amazing experience either lol. His care speaks for its self. I've battled with bad experiences from other doctors and it's just a relief to know I'm in the care of such a great doctor. He deserves the utmost praise and thanks for everything he does and I hope anyone reading will know just a glimpse of the awesome care he provides so it will put uour mind at ease and give you peace of knowing where to go. It's made all the difference for me and I know it will for anyone else who's in need of help or care !!

April 24th, 2014
T-TOWNS FINEST
I've been one of Dr.Hooper's patients for approximately 3 years now, and I literally have no clue know how I made it before him. Dr. Hooper is a highly qualified and hyper-intelligent man that probably has the MOST experience (around 40 years) in his field than any other psychiatrist in Tuscaloosa. He maintains professionalism while at the same time making you feel like part of his family. Always educates and explains all of his treatment plans and the rationale behind his decisions, such as medications he prescribes. He takes your recommendations and wishes seriously, instead of pretending to listen and just prescribing you something to get you out of the door faster. Dependable, trustworthy, and kind. Easy to "open up" to and seriously remembers everything you share with him without writing down everything you say. Listens intently in a non judgmental way when I share deeply personal and uncomfortable feelings. He usually responds with an analogy or story that applies to my situation, in turn making me feel like i'm not the only one with "problems". Dr. Hooper has the BEST sense of humor (probably on of my favorite qualities of his). I usually go into my appointment crying and come out laughing! He makes me feel positive and hopeful, like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Lastly, I must mention Dr.Hooper's FIRST CLASS staff members; Amanda,(who i deal with mostly) his assistant/secretary is a devoted, super friendly, hardworking person that has always went out of her way to help me. I always look forward to seeing her when I go to my appointments. So, with all that being said… Dr.Hooper and his practice is as good as it gets! 4 STARS ALL THE WAY!!

April 23rd, 2014
Super Doc
Dr Hooper is kind of my grandfather and kind of my best friend bc he gives me wise advice and he also cares so much. I feel like I can trust him with anything, and I've had my share of disasters. He is a magician with medications and he keeps track of what prescriptions COST so he gives me stuff I can afford! One psychiatrist wrote me scripts that cost $800 a month, on top of his pricey fee. Dr H explains my other meds and how they interact, and if I say I don't like I he'll change it. I hate to leave bc I feel so safe w him!! The only problem is too many other people want to see him. Me first.

February 25th, 2014
One of the best
Dr. Hopper is the best psychiatrist that I've ever been to. He actually cares about his patients & their well being. If you are looking for a good psychiatrist you should try him.

November 12th, 2013
THE MOST CARING DOCTOR EVER!
Dr. Hooper is like no other doctor I have ever been to see, especially other psychiatrist. He actually listens and treats you as an individual. Unlike other psychiatrist I have seen in the past that give you stacks of questionnaires to fill out to form their assessments, instead of talking to you! Or make you feel uncomfortable because most watch the clock during the brief time they do actually talk to you. He works with you and for you, the world would be a much better place if every doctor could be like this! His receptionist Amanda is always so prompt about handling any matter when you call the office. You never sit and wait for long periods, I usually never even wait five minutes to see him. I love this doctor;therefore, I would and do recommend him to everyone!

April 21st, 2013
Excellent
The only doctor that I have ever been too who didnt seem to try and "rush" me through. Dr. Hooper takes the extra time and effort to make his patience feel at ease when speaking with him. He does not look at his watch nor does he look bored when speaking wth him but makes direct eye contact and truly has that sense of understanding, caring that very few doctors have anymore. We need ore M.D.'s like this in today's society!!!

February 18th, 2013
I have been a patient of dr hooper for over a year now and it has been such a blessing to have the opportunity to be under his care. I couldnt disagree with anything positive said about him.

November 21st, 2012
Ive been seeing Dr. Hooper for several years now and he is the nicest, most friendly Dr. Ive seen. He understands my needs and does NOT treat me like a dollar sign! When he was ill a while back, he and his receptionist, Amanda made sure even though he wasnt able to be in the office that his clients were taken care of! I have recommend him to several people because of the kindness of him and Amanda!!

August 18th, 2011
happy patient
Dr. Hooper is wonderful! He listens to your thoughts/concerns which helps to establish a great patient/doctor relationship. Very caring & concerned with your overall well-being. Very easy to talk to. I would recommend Dr. Hooper to everyone. I am so glad I was able to find such a great doctor who has helped me in every way possible.

June 3rd, 2010
Highly recommended!
I have been seeing Dr. Hooper for 5 years now. He had a break in his personal practice for about a year and I would not even go to a new doctor because I had seen a few in the past looking for a doctor I felt comfortable with and Dr. Hooper is the only one I wanted. I am thrilled to see him at his new office. There is barely a wait, if any and the office staff is great! He is very easy to talk to, and he actually listens to what is going on. He takes your personal opinions and thought into consideration and is very comfortable to be around. I would absolutly recommend him to anyone andd have infact done so. I have spoke with people who saw him after I referred them and they seemed releived to have found someone that makes them feel as comfortable with him as I do.