Dr. James Lee MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.1

July 13th, 2016
Within a minute of explaining my ailment, he interrupted to abruptly state, "Don't get side-tracked." Baffling and incredibly rude. Bedside manner aside, he told me that since a diagnosis is undetermined, he'd "throw the kitchen sink at it." Three perscriptions for something he couldn't identify. Not my kind of doctor in both personal and medical treatment.

July 2nd, 2016
Dr. Lee was professional, courteous, and displayed a sense of humor. He dealt efficiently with my problem and provided much valuable information about future prevention and care.

September 14th, 2015
Office is Poorly Managed
I made an appointment by telephone but when I arrived at my scheduled time, I was told by the front desk that the appointment had been scheduled for the following day. I know I had the correct day and time because the following day I had to go to the airport so I would never have made such a mistake. The doctor was unable to see me and I have decided to go elsewhere.

May 14th, 2013
International Program Manager
I feel very fortunate to have been referred to Dr. James L. Lee in Ashburn, VA. (Otolaryngology) for ENT consultation, and what turned out to be cancer surgery. I had cancer of the tonsil which had spread to lymph nodes in the right and left side of my neck. Dr. Lee diagnosed the problem right away and immediately set up a plan for surgery, followed by radiation and chemo. He went out of his way to schedule the surgery at the Inova Loudoun Hospital within a very short period of time. He was very thorough in his exams, in his diagnosis, and in all of his explanations of what would happen, exactly what to expect, and what potential problems the surgery could yield in terms of side effects. It turned out the cancer was much more aggressive than even he had anticipated, but he worked for 7 hours in surgery to carefully remove all of the affected tissue without creating any collateral muscle, nerve, or vessel damage, i.e. I experienced no negative side effects from the surgery. All follow up visits were excellent and he carefully guided me and my wife through the entire illness. He even demonstrated a great deal of patience and understanding in providing me with all of the documentation for short term care insurance and medical leave, usually filling out the paperwork during my office visit and personally faxing the documents himself while I was there. He did an amazingly excellent job in every aspect of surgery and care, and for that, I am eternally grateful. His professionalism, skill, positive attitude, in conjunction with his friendly, and caring bedside manner make him an outstanding physician for anyone needing ENT care, and especially for anyone needing ENT-related surgery. He is just a fantastic doctor.

May 8th, 2013
Happy enough to share the story...
About twenty years ago, based on a recommendation from a friend with a nearly identical history and a successful surgery, I first consulted a specialist in Fairfax about my ongoing sinus issues. His evaluation of me, and his outright dismissal of my case as nothing more than allergies affected me so strongly that I just shut my mouth and moved on. In 2008, the increasing severity of symptoms combined with my own personal maturation made me realize I had let myself be untracked by the actions of another, so I met with another specialist in Reston. No longer being willing to be pushed around, I informed the doctor of my history and stated that while surgery was my goal, I acknowledged his expertise, and that I was willing to follow any course of treatment he recommended. During the review of my sinus CT scan during my second visit, he apparently felt threatened enough by my recounting this to recommend I seek treatment with another physician, so once again I set my needs aside. In 2010, I first approached Dr. Vickie Lee, as I realized an allergist could at least improve my worsening symptoms, and was immediately impressed by her reasons for opening a practice together with her husband: to escape impersonalized "health care by the numbers". During my testing and evaluation period, I also met with Dr. James Lee, and discussed the process of immunotherapy leading up to possible surgery. During this conversation, I conveyed the same history and intent as I had done in 2008, but received only positive reinforcement. He also addressed a number of additional and very pointed questions without hesitation, giving simple and direct answers. In 2011, Dr. James Lee performed my initial corrective sinus surgery. This was followed in 3 weeks by an in-office procedure, and a few weeks after that by another surgery, all due to the formation of undesirable scar tissue. During this time Dr. Lee came in on an off day to deal with my dressings, and together we dealt with each minor setback. Today, 3 members of my household are patients of both doctors, and all of us are more than happy with the quality of their care as well as the office staff supporting them. The quality of my life is better than it has been in 25 years, and I would recommend both doctors to anyone. In fact, I have done just that, and have friends who are also patients there. What is clear from the reviews on this page is that to be successful, the relationship between doctor and patient must work for both doctor and patience, requiring good communication and some patience. Others who have commented here might see my experience of multiple procedures as a disaster; however I lived it, and I see it as the fact that the practice of medicine involves art as much as science, simply because the physiology of each individual is as unique as the DNA that built them. Dr. Lee never backed away from any question I asked, and during this process I was particularly challenging, because I needed to understand exactly what was happening to me, and why. In the end, my vote is cast. I have no cause to see him now, but if a need arises, he will get the call.

April 12th, 2013
Very Grateful
My son and I laugh everytime we think of you, you helped me feel at ease. Even though I was a puzzle you took a long time evaluating me and explaining what might and might not be the causing my dizziness. I really appreciate the kindness and consideration you gave me. Thank you again.

April 12th, 2013
Disappointed
I am nearly 60 years old with 35 years of ENT problems. I came to see this doctor at the recommendation of an urgent care physician. I had been on antibiotics for months. Every time I finished a course of meds, the sinus infection would return. I have a history of several surgeries of the left maxillary sinus in the 80's and early 90's. Dr. Lee treated me with contempt, and claimed he saw no evidence of the surgeries and did not believe I had sinus trouble at all, only TMJ. He made that conclusion just from my pointing to areas of pain, not from examination. Of course he would not see disease while I was on Antibiotics! For this man to imply that I would lie about my medical history was insulting and his behavior was demeaning and disrespectful. I would have given zero star grades if this app would have allowed!

February 25th, 2013
Paralysis
My father received a surgical procedure from Dr. Lee leaving him with vocal cord paralysis. Afterward, Dr. Lee washed his hands of the case claiming there was 'nothing more he could do'. He never recommended any follow-up or referrals to speech therapy. Thank goodness that we had the sense to place him with a speech therapist. Her therapy has gotten his voice almost back (from completely inaudible) and he no longer has problems swallowing. I have since heard of three similar outcomes in surgery with Dr. Lee, ranging in ages 4-69. Be wary of this "surgeon".

December 3rd, 2012
Poor manners (uninterested)
The office receptionist was friendly and courteous. Dr. Lee was arrogant, uninterested, patronizing, a poor listener, and an even poorer doctor for not honestly coming out and saying that growths of the middle ear are neither of interest to him nor are they his specialty.I guess I had raised his ire by bringing my camera into the waiting area and shooting a pic of my wife. I would never shoot anyone else in that room had there been anyone else! Yet, like a child, the mighty Dr. Lee found it necessary to admonish me. I've been a photographer for 35 years and I think I'd know not to take pix of waiting patients, duh? While he had various ideas about what could be wrong with me, ultimately he didn't know. He then pretended to know my former (now retired) ENT adressing him as "Dick." Somehow, I think that my retired ENT would not have a high opinion of Dr. Lee either and would certainly not be on a "Jim" and "Dick" basis with him. Just a bad experience. Wanted to take a shower and wash Dr. Lee off of me. I'll never go back, that's for sure and I would advise anyone against seeing him as well. There are plenty of "accessible" doctors in this area.

October 22nd, 2012
Unfortunately I did not have a good experience with Dr Lee. He was very rough with the tool used to look into my nose as well as with the tongue depressor when he looked into my mouth. His bedside manners were rude. I felt rushed during my appt and once I left and thought about what was said, I realized I didn't even communicate all of my symptoms. I felt as though he wrote me off without even fully understanding the events that brought me to him. I wish it had been a better experience. Will not be going back.

September 5th, 2012
I would not recommend this doctor to anyone. My personal experience was very bad. No professionalism on talking to patients. Got annoyed when I asked few questions to clarify further. I felt very uncomfortable during my visit and he was very rough in using instruments while checking nose and ear. I am feeling that I wasted my copy for the specialist.

July 23rd, 2012
Dr lee was great with our daughter and performed her surgery quickly and there was little recovery time and her car is barely noticeable. Too bad the office staff is very rude and after screwing up our insurance tried to blame us even when it was clearly their mistake.