Dr. James Jakes Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. James Jakes?

Type 2 Diabetes

Have you seen Dr. James Jakes?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

Neutral

August 23rd, 2016

First appointment today with Dr Jakes, after being dismissed by other medical professionals for the last year, Dr Jakes LISTENED to me. I am an RN and no he doesn't give warm fuzzy feelings BUT he assessed me, asked a ton of questions and answered all of mine. I am grateful I was seen by him and look forward to my treatment plan. I did not want treatment for my pain, I wanted treatment for the CAUSE of my pain. Dr Jakes did just that! Kudos and appreciation~

August 29th, 2015

Need negative star ratings

I went to Dr. Jakes because of convenience of location. I had heard he was the worse doctor ever, but still went because I was in so much pain. First visit went well. He ordered a few tests and prescribed medication. I started feeling better. When meds ran out, I went back to him. I went back a few times. All he did was offer a steroid shot and prescribed the same meds every visit. He never even informed me of my diagnosis. On one visit, I was in tears because my daughter was diagnosed with cancer. He showed no compassion whatsoever! I do not want to go back to him. I do not like to drive long distances to visit physicians but I may have to, because I really don't like his attitude. He receives negative stars from me in accurate diagnosis, bedside manner, spends time with me and follows up after visit areas!

March 13th, 2015

I'm not a "high maintenance patient", and I don't expect a doctor to sit and listen to my blathering about all my aches and pains, but I do expect to be treated respectfully. I don't go see doctors because it's my newest hobby, and in reality tend to avoid them and treat holistically whenever I can. Especially doctors that take 2 months to get an appointment to see. He looked through paperwork on my referral, squeezed a couple of very swollen and painful joints, ordered lab tests, gave me information on a drug and said come back in two weeks. In two weeks I came back, and in a 90 second appointment (literally), he said my labs came back inconclusive, handed me a prescription, and left. I stopped him and made him look at my hands (which were ridiculously swollen) and asked him what was going on and what the prescription is for. He said he couldn't find anything wrong, I didn't look swollen to him. He ordered a steroid shot for the swelling he didn't see, and hurriedly walked out again. Trying to have trust, I filled the prescription (even though I seldom even take an aspirin, I was in pain enough pain to give it a try), but after 10 days started having some of the classic side effects listed on the paperwork. I called the doc's office, they said the side effects (that I've never had before) were NOT a result of the medication and called me in a prescription for an anti-depressant! And I STILL don't know what I'm being treated for. I requested a copy of my medical records for transfer to another doctor, and when I read through them I was taken absolutely aback. He basically didn't believe a word I'd said regarding my symptoms and didn't think I was really in that much pain. He gave me the steroid shot to basically shut me up, and somewhere decided I have "sexual issues" which were NEVER discussed. I implore anyone who lives in this area to please avoid this clinic, even though it's the only rheumatology clinic in Central Alabama. Just start out with a doctor in Birmingham. It's worth every bit of the time, effort, and inconvenience.

January 27th, 2015

So sad

This is so sad that a gifted doctor has such negative feeling toward patients . God has blessed him with this gift and he misuse it by hurting the very people he is suppose to help. Perhaps it time for him to re-evaluate his oath to "First Do No Harm" I am now looking for a doctor to help me, not hold my hand. I refuse to go back and pay someone to be rude and uncaring.

October 13th, 2014

BAD doctor

Dr. Jakes is an jerk! He was rude when he walked in the door. During the visit, he jabbed me in my back where I told him I had pain (not compassionately like my rheumatologist in Mobile did) -- had a LOT more pain then! Made NO helpful suggestions. WOULD not send my worst enemy to him!

June 29th, 2013

I have been to Dr. Jake several times and he has given me several injections that have relieved my pain. I am very pleased with the results I have gotten from his office staff as well. I will continue to use him even though he is not Mr. Sunshine. But then that is not what I go to him for!

April 6th, 2013

patient

I've been a patient of Dr. Jakes for over 10 years and if you're expecting a hand holding sympathetic feel good Doctor you are in the wrong place, but if you're expecting a knowledgeable, professional, tell it like it is Doctor who knows his stuff, you have struck gold! He and his staff work their tails off to deliver professional care to all who cross their door. If you don't like his staff just learn to be patient and over time you will realize they are busting their buns to make sure everyone who's a patient gets the best care possible. If you've ever been around a staff that has to work so hard you'd understand why they have such a great relationship with each other, they have to to get through each packed day! So they don't have time to hold your hand either. Yes, Dr. Jakes is the ONLY Rheumatologist in Montgomery, that should tell you He's busy as H***. If you want competent and first rate medicine YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE!

July 9th, 2012

Patient

April 27th, 2012

Takes getting used too

I have been a patient of his for 4 years and at first I could not believe how gruff he acted. There was no one else to see so I kept going. Over time you realize that he does care and works crazy hours. After 5 years of horrible pain and countless doctors, I came to him and he diagnosed me that day. It was such a relief. He is gruff and a little odd, but he really knows what he is doing.

August 15th, 2011

Correct Diagnosis but Not Going Back

I had heard of Dr. Jakes but thought he couldn't be that bad, wrong!! I did get a diagnosis but that was all I felt the did right. On your first visit the staff was unfriendly and acted like you had been there before and knew the routine. They were acting and joking among themselves, very unprofessional. The only kind person I remembered was the check out person.Dr. Jakes rudely presented himself in the room without introducing himself and started asking questions. He said that no doubt I had ... and ... but would run some blood test. In the meanwhile, take ..., ... and ... and return in 2 weeks. I returned in 2 weeks and he asked what I was there for. I told him for my 2 week appointment followup. He told me that yes I had .... and explained it. I was in a stupor on the meds he put me on and I asked him a question on the disease and the said "I already told you that". I told him that the meds were giving me problems and that my heart was doing ..... and he said that it wasn't the pills. I told him that it started when I started on the pills and he repeated that it wasn't the pills. What I didn't tell him was that I started decreasing the dosage and was getting better. I knew I wasn't going to go back to a doctor that wanted me to stay on drugs that was affecting my body. By the way, the reaction I was having was a common side affect and he would have known that!! I found another doctor to treat me!! Run and run fast!! That's my experience and opinion.

June 24th, 2011

Dr. Jakes was great!

I enjoyed my first visit with Dr. Jakes. I look forward to my next visit as I am hoping he can help me with my problem.

March 29th, 2011

Insensitive, no eye contact. Once he figured out that I didn't have Ankylosingspondolitis he lost interest in me and left the room.