Dr. James Napier Jr MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

June 17th, 2017
Makes Yale Med school look bad
I really wanted to like Dr. Napier, we went in with an open minds. It became immediately obvious that the most vital felt piece of information he felt we needed to know was that he had studied at Yale and had been practicing for 30 years. We had serious difficulty understanding his speech as he mumbled and his words were barely intelligible. He kept running in and out of the room and looking at his watch and we were left alone trying to figure out what SHIRTSOCKSSHOES meant as he threw my husband a gown. I think you are supposed to put this on, I suggest, bewildered. It was seriously difficult understanding Napier’s words as he mumbled very badly and we had to keep asking him to repeat himself. At first he says that my husband’s sensory issues and vocal nerve paralysis are problems are all “up here”, (he points to his head). Do you mean the cortex? I am trying to figure out what he is talking about. Are you a nurse? He shoots at me. (I am female.) I am a doctor, I reply, which is true. Only after I read to him off my cell phone from wikipedia no less, that a lesion in the area of the brain stem like the one my husband has does in fact cause his exact symptoms does Napier then abruptly say he thinks the lesion might be causing symptoms. So at first no, but then when he learns I am also a doctor and regularly read medical articles he changes his tune. He dismissed my worries saying “you can find another husband.” I guess this was supposed to be a joke, and I am pretty good at all sorts of dark humor, but at that time and place it felt horribly inappropriate. It was not funny. I am worried about my husband’s prognosis and survival. The inappropriateness of his joke blew my mind. “I’m not going to be able to answer any of your questions,” he says, as I pull out a list of questions. Stunned, I play along. "Well, I am just going to ask them anyway, how about that?" I say, "because I am paying for this." He protested that he was just a “car mechanic”. How about an EEG? How about some sort of electromyographic analysis of the recurrent laryrngeal nerve? No. We felt rushed, dismissed, and the only good advice he gave was that we could get a second opinion, which we will do.

August 19th, 2016
Left high and DRY BAd bedside manner
Went to him because he was suppose to be the BEST. He is a Great neurologist it's a shame his ego gets in his way. Complex situations instead of a referral for another opinion or help from collegues, its all in head by means of anxiety and need mental help. Very rude refused to continue my care and left me high and dry with no one to manage my medications. I have a seizure disorder and will have seizures without my meds. BE CAREFUL SEEING HIIM!!! If you situation is simple you might be ok. I know another person who received the same treatment when the situation became complex ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD>

February 15th, 2016
Dr Napier is very intelligent, but that's where it ends. He is always in a hurry at his appointments, there is always a very significant wait time during his appointments and his bedside manner is terrible.

February 22nd, 2015
Quick to judge/tunnel vision
Came in with physical head trauma symptoms from concussion

May 10th, 2014
Best doctor I have seen yet for my multiple sclerosis in the past 20 years!
I was told by a few people that they disliked this doctor, but when I decided to see a nurse practitioner at Bay Care Aurora because I heard her speak at an MS seminar, I also needed to set up an appt with the actual doctor after seeing her. I saw Dr. Teetzen, whom my husband and I preferred not to see again. Dr. Teetzen ended up moving away , so I was reluctantly scheduled with Dr. Napier. I have been seeing him for over a year now for my MS, and he is listens to my problems, explains things I need answers to, always shakes my hand and asks how I am doing, has concerns about my meds and overall is quite friendly and thorough, and the best part is--my husband likes him too!

November 24th, 2013
Terrible,Terrible Dr, Don't waste your time.I would give HIM no stars but it won't let me post review.

November 2nd, 2013
Doctor was very rude to my mother the patient. Called my mother and me a liar! Used impropriate language.

September 21st, 2013
incompetent and lazy
He asked a couple of questions and then diagnosed me. When I disagreed with him he gave me statistics of how he was in the top 8 neurologists and refused to listen to me.He performed a perfunctory assessment and wouldn't let me describe my symptoms. He ordered a bunch of tests including some I had just had. When I went back for my results he told me everything was normal and all my symptoms where "in my head". I didn't want to give him any stars but I couldn't submit without rating him.

July 30th, 2013
terrible doctor
He did not listen to my concerns. When I tried to tell him my symptoms he dismissed them. He told me what he thought my problem was after only 5 minutes. He said my symptoms were caused by a mental disorder and the pain, weakness, numbness, tingling, and loss of balance were not caused by a physical disorder. I complained but nothing will be done unless other complaints are filed. I am an RN and I know my symptoms are physical and not mental.

July 30th, 2013
Wait and wait and then nothing
After waiting 2 weeks for an appointment, he ran a million tests of which he did not follow up on until my next appointment. Upon my next appointment, which he was 45 minutes behind schedule for, he was arrogant, rude and condescending. He ordered more tests and sent me back to my family doctor. Never called with the results of the tests. After I tracked down the results, all of which were abnormal, I switched doctors. Wouldn't go back to him ever again.

July 23rd, 2013
Save your time
Dr. Napier diagnosed me in in a matter of 4 minutes. He is gun slinger and shoots from the hip. You may be lucky and he may get it right or you may end up with a prescription for Depakote as your answer. He really likes to blame use of Tylenol for headaches in his diagnosis. Once he gets something in his mind you can say nothing to make him look at any other cause for your problem.

July 23rd, 2013
Worst Neurologist!!! 0 stars
Honestly I would have been better off making an appointment with a vetranarian. I received little to no answers to any of my questions; probably due to the fact that he had his head stuck to his tablet for our entire appointment. Horrible bedside manner, if I wanted to be scolded at and told that I don't know anything about anything he would be the doc to go to. Maybe a good brush up course would help a bit, considering I knew more about medications than he did. If he was the last Neurologist in the whole state I still wouldn't return. 0 stars overall, 0 stars for bed manner, 0 stars for competence and 0 stars for time given to listen.