Dr. James Lea MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

May 20th, 2014
He's retiring
I saw him once in the late 80's and then again in 2012. He didn't recognize me from seeing me before. He had said I would outgrow my seizures. However the new medication he recommended was excellent. I will never consider using anything else. For those who have reviewed him, yes, his bedside manner is cold. Visits are short. His staff is by far the worst, almost as though they have a competition amongst themselves to see how rude they can be. But he does volunteer one day a month at a free clinic for those with financial burdens. He retires summer 2014.

August 7th, 2013
You should be ashamed!
After month's of dealing with his Assistant Sarah to try to see Dr. Lea, I was very disappointed in the lack of concern for my pain level and the fact that the office would never return my call's. Once I finally got a chance to see Dr. Lea, he immediately said he had seen me before and did not think I had "Stiff Person Syndrome". After showing him video of my contortion's he said he thought he knew what was wrong another disorder called "Dystonia" he prescribed some pill's said they should work in a week. They made me sick the entire time I took them. The following Monday I called Sarah and told her. Her word's to me "Dr. Lea said if they did not work he will send you to a Neuro-Muscular Dr. In Spokane. It has been over a week and no contact from anyone. My biggest complaint is that Dr. Lea simply dismissed me without trying anything else. I would think a "top Neurologist" would have taken the time to figure out why the pill's did not work. Maybe it was not Dystonia, maybe something else? He obviously did not want to treat me, listen to me or care to give me continued treatment. And I am leaving out much about the staff.

May 18th, 2013
I think perhaps this doctors directness with folks is taken as uncaring. I liked that he could be direct about what we were facing in the ER when hubby was taken in. Which was massive life threatening event. Dr Lea does not play with words. He is very factual and direct. We found Dr. Lea to be very nice, addressed what was mentioned. He offered information of what had happened to my husband 6 months prior and went over it within the office visit. Our office visit did not feel rushed at all. Office staff took care of after visit issue that came up, to renew parking permit did so immediately upon my call . they were extremely helpful and polite Dr. Lea and staff were very helpful with necessary paperwork was needed for two other occasions via a phone call from myself. Billing staff was very helpful and polite, though direct of things and making sure payment could be made for such an office visit prior to coming in. You had to have a definite plan for payment prior to visit. Offering up that perhaps possible payment for the appointment. Such as a grant process within the office might help us. I did feel payment options had to be established but, did not feel put off by this. As all must get paid for their services. We did not have insurance , had some helpful ways offered to pay the bill ,that would be coming up for this office visit. The billing office was very good about being patient about the bill being paid. Though upon check in ,there seemed to be a miscommunication of how we were to get bill paid. I felt we would be turned away if not a resolved issue before we went in to see the doctor. I wish the doctor great luck in his retirement that is following next year. If what I read in the newspaper was correct, he will take on a different direction with his medical expertise, after many years of service in present role.

May 10th, 2013
My friend has been suffering from epilepsy for over a year now and because he has no health insurance, he has seen Dr. Lea through the Dirne Clinic. The only treatment he has provided has been to prescribe and increase Vim pat, and increase an ER doctors prescription for Keppra. These have both reached their maximum prescribing levels, so now he does nothing at all. I have never experienced a doctor so apathetic and unconcerned towards a patient with severe, life threatening problems. Not only have these medications done nothing to manage or control his seizures, they have become worse and more frequent, and he suffers from most all of the possible side effects on top of everything else related to the primary disorder. When I have gone with my friend to visits, I have personally witnessed him blatantly ignore pressing medical concerns, rush through the appointment, and neglect both diagnosis steps/ tests and effective treatment options. This is unfortunately one of those doctors who is only practicing for his own monetary benefits, as there is no evidence that he entered a healing profession to heal. I would not recommend this "doctor" to my worst enemy. My sympathy also goes out to all individuals without health insurance who are forced to go through public health options, because they are not receiving the much needed and necessary care they so desperately need. If you have a choice, please do not see this physician!!!!

June 19th, 2012
Grossly wrong diagnosiss
I went to him for 5 yrs. first for tremor. He said no problem just. My daughter thought it was the start of parkinsons. He assured me i could not get Parkinsons. 2yr later i was weaker. could hardly walk, he gave me pt. Problems getting worse, more symptoms,no help. Reffered to assistant. Daughter took me to a dr in another state who asked for my records,. Very little was passed on only form assistant. New dr said DO NOT GO BACK THERE. I was diagnosed with parkinsons within 5 minutes after a physical exam. New dr could not believe Dr Lea could not have known. NOW I am recieving treatment after 5 yrs of wasted time.

May 18th, 2012
go somwhere else
He is nice enough, but its a money mill, the office looses paperwork, The Dr diagnoses was wrong, and is of little help when he knows there is no treatment available. You could get better results by research and checking other Doctors that are a little more progressive in trying at least some type of remedies

April 20th, 2011
Cold
Dr. was very abrupt. Hadn't bothered to read my tranfered case. Didn't really care about me. Gave care over to a ARNP on second visit and was recommended to get other things checked cuz they couldn't be seizures...lousy people!

May 16th, 2010
Barely speaks to you and dismisses your concerns. Doesn't remember what he has told you from prior visits. 15 minutes means 15 minutes or less. Very hard to approach or talk to. Doesn't teally listen.

January 22nd, 2016