Dr. James Hill MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

August 23rd, 2016
Prosthetic shoulder replacement recipient
Complete competency, himself and full staff. Procedure and recovery a good experience.

August 14th, 2016
Absolutely Trust this Doctor
Dr. Hill has been my orthopedic surgeon for 17 years and has handled medical problems I have had from my neck down to my feet. I have always been completely satisfied with the care Dr. Hill has taken with my medical problems. Dr. Hill recently performed a partial replacement of one of my knees and I am delighted with this surgery. It was completely successful. I have always been very satisfied with all aspects of attention I have received from Dr. Hill and his staff. If there is a wait time I am willing to wait for this doctor, because I know he will spend quality time with me during my appointment and if I am waiting I am sure he is spending quality time with the patients before me. So I do not consider promptness to be an issue. Dr. Hill does not make me wait any longer than other doctors. I have always found Dr. Hill to be courteous and considerate.

July 17th, 2016
Dr. Hill is an excellent surgeon. I've had both rotator cuffs repaired by him with great results. However, other aspects of Dr. Hill leave much to be desired. My first visit, I waited over 2 hours before seeing him. On later visits, I scheduled the 1st appointment after lunch or in the morning, but still waited 25 to 40 minutes with no apology or reason for the wait. Some of these appointments lasted literally less than five minutes with the doctor. Although he is a very competent surgeon and will address any medical concerns, he seems to have no regard for his patients' time.

March 30th, 2016
angry patient
This was my fifth surgery with Dr.Hill and was always pleased until my recent meniscus repair. Boy, has he changed.!!! I never saw him for my post op apt, PA gave me a script for therapy, physical therapists tried but never had the correct diagnos. I was in pain and did not recover, and when I asked why, was told "I don't know" repeatedly. At my last appt. was told all my problems were associated with arthritis, even tho I never had arthritic pain prior to surgery. He told me x-ray and MRI would show nothing. Totally wrong. He just wanted to inject chemiicals into my knee without listening to me or trying. to diagnose further. Eventually I saw someone else, who did x ray and MRI, I have an osteochondral defect which will worsen and now need a partial knee replacement. meanwhile, over the last nine months I have been walking in pain, and worsening the situation. He could have seen the defect had he looked during the meniscal surgery but was not interested apparently. Was also not interested in informing the physical therapists what had been done so they could help me. I obtained my records and saw multiple errors written including a report on my opposite leg that was totally unrelated to the current problem. Stay away from this guy, his skill and ability to listen have left him and now I need a knee replacement.due to his refusal to take the time to correctly diagnose. I find this disturbing as have been his patient for years.

November 24th, 2015
Exceptional Skill & Extensive Experience
In the winter of 2014 I experienced severe shoulder pain after shoveling snow in one of Chicago’s winter storms. My family doctor suspected I tore my rotator cuff and he specifically recommended that I see Dr. James M. Hill, M.D. at the Illinois Bone and Joint Institute, Arlington Heights, Illinois. He told me that Dr. Hill has an extremely high correction success rate for rotator cuff injuries. A few weeks later, I met with Dr. Hill who conducted a very thorough examination and reviewed my MRI. He was very straightforward and diagnosed that I needed surgery to repair the tear as soon as possible. He explained in detail why the severity of the tear precluded any option other than surgery, and also explained the consequence of waiting to have surgery later on. If I waited too long, I would eventually lose arm strength and movement which would be irreparable. Dr. Hill very candidly told me that he could not guarantee 100% success; but that total success depended on what would be encountered during the actual surgery. I appreciated his honesty in providing me with this information as well as the follow-up care that would be necessary during the recovery period. I consulted another physician who confirmed Dr. Hill’s diagnoses. Because this is an extremely delicate surgery, and Dr. Hill has extensive experience and skill in performing this type of operation with a very high success rate, I chose Dr. Hill to repair my rotator cuff. I am extremely pleased that I did. I had a 100% successful outcome due in major part to the extreme care that Dr. Hill exercises during surgery and the very specific follow-up therapy that Dr. Hill prescribed. You will find Dr. Hill to be a no-nonsense upfront doctor. He will explain in detail your condition. He never was in a hurry at any of my office visits. He will answer any and all of your questions. If he is running behind in his scheduled appointments, it is due to the fact he is giving other patients the same detailed office visit you will receive when he enters your examining room. His office very courteously posts at the reception desk if your appointment might be delayed; you can also call ahead to check if his appointments are running on schedule, and therefore adjust your schedule accordingly. I highly recommend Dr. Hill for his professionalism, exceptional skill, extensive experience and honest bedside manner.

October 20th, 2015
Excellent Care and Customer Service
Dr Hill and all his staff are extremely competent yet take the time to listen and be compassionate in their care EVERY SINGLE TIME I have been to see them.

October 20th, 2015
Excellent Knee Surgeon
Both knees have been replaced by Dr Hill; the most recent one being in Oct 2014. Both surgeries were a total success as I am pain free. I can walk the golf course, do stairs and bicycle again. I couldn't be happier with the results. Some visits may take a while to complete, but you cannot rush quality. Thank you Dr Hill!

September 6th, 2015
I have only positive things to say regarding my experience with Dr. Hill and his staff. In a fall I caused a torn rotator cuff ligament to my right shoulder. I waited several months before connecting with an orthopedic surgeon. Fortunately for me, I found Dr. Hill. Because my injury was complicated by my delay in getting the surgery done, I needed a physician who was experienced in handling this type of "disaster". Dr. Hill was able to perform the procedure efficiently and with minimal invasion. I have 100% mobility and use of my shoulder and, except for two tiny scars, it looks and works just like it did before the injury. Not only is Dr. Hill an amazing surgeon, but his staff and surgical assistant Kate Essenberg, were extremely helpful and caring. I cannot recommend anyone more highly.

August 18th, 2015
Delighted Patient
For more than 20 years, I searched for alternate (non-surgical) solutions to relieve carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. I tried multiple rounds of acupuncture, chiropractic manipulation, exercises, and night splints, which provided interim relief in varying degrees. The sum of those efforts, coupled with the ever-worsening discomfort and annoyance of my hands numbing during sleep, led me to the eventual “cure” delivered through the surgical skills of Dr. James Hill. After a consultation with Dr. Hill and a conclusive EMG test administered by a neurologist, I underwent successful bi-lateral endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery , in May, 2015. Dr. Hill and his superb Physician Assistant, Kate Essenberg assured me that I would be able to care for my most immediate personal needs the same day of outpatient surgery. And they were 100% accurate. Professional, efficient, friendly, kind and compassionate are words that describe this practice from the top-down, to include the entire reception, appointment and billing staff. My surgery was Dr. Hill’s third performed within my extended family. Hands, shoulders, knees – Dr. Hill does it all with skill, aplomb, uncommonly pleasant demeanor and most importantly, he delivers the results you’re looking for.

August 15th, 2015
Quality of Life Returned
My mother, who happens to be a retired surgical nurse with over 30 years of experience, recently underwent a hip replacement by Dr. Hill, and the results were absolutely phenomenal! She couldn’t be happier with or more grateful for her increased – and now pain-free - ability to walk, bend, stoop, etc. She was also very favorably impressed by Dr. Hill’s professional and caring manner . Good work, Doc!!

July 16th, 2015
2 knees & 2 shoulders
Dr Hill has repaired both my shoulders and has replaced both knees. I have been very happy with outcomes. He has always taken his time with me in explaining the injuries, options and expected outcomes. He takes time with everyone. He listens to your concerns and cares about his patients. I would and have recommended him without hesitation.

May 28th, 2015
knee problems
I was very disappointed with the way dr hill treated me. He made me feel like I wasn't a person. I did not feel respected as his patient. I was inexperienced at seeing an orthopedic doctor since I never had problems before. He refused to listen to my comments about my , painful knees and took me through a series of unnessary tests that, I now have to pay for. The diagnosis took to long because he wouldn't listen to my complaints. It cost me financial, physical, and emotional pain that was unnessary.