Dr. James Mccaul IV MD Patient Reviews

• 6 reviews

March 7th, 2013
He has horrible bedside manner. While on occasion he is funny often he is just offensive. He tried to talk me into a tubal on several occasions leading to my c-section, including when I went in for my pre-op it was on the paperwork and I refused to sign it until he removed it. He had to use ultrasound at one point to find my daughter heartbeat, and he answered his cell phone and had a personal phone call the entire time. I never talked to him before he began my c-section and he left the room immediately after saying nothing. I wouldn't go back.

February 12th, 2013
Pain.
I had him for 3 pregnancies and the last one turned me away from him. He talked to my husband at every visit and did not talk to me. I brought my kids into an appointment and left them in the room with my husband to go to the bathroom. My kids got upset and cried. His wife who was the other doctor in his office told me that I was not to bring my children back to the office if I could not keep them quite. He made jokes about me being over weight and that I should not eat as much as he said I had to. I fell at work and he laughed at me about going to the hospital because my daughter had quit moving around for 3 hours. He did sit in the room when I had my last one but he sat to the side until I told him that if my baby hit the floor, I would hurt him. He then told me that I needed to hold her in until he was finished talking to a nurse. He came over when another nurse yelled at him. I got a tubal that he performed that day and at least once a year I have a miscarriage. I would not put a dog's life in his hands anymore.

October 8th, 2010
Dedicated doctor
Dr. Jim is a great doctor. He did all the right tests to figure out what was wrong with me and my baby. He had me come back for weekly visits my entire last trimester. I received weekly NSTs, and weekly ultrasounds to check umbilical blood flow and amniotic fluid levels. If it wasn't for Dr. McCaul figuring out the problem and keeping close tabs on us, my baby would have been stillborn. I will thank Dr Jim every time I see him for saving my baby.

April 20th, 2010
HORRRRRIBLE DOCTOR!!!!
I've been through two pregnancies with Dr McCaul. my first I was high risk, and he was knowledgeable about the things i was going through and dealing with and answered every question VERY thoroughly but it was all text book and i had to go home and look up half the things he said. He convinced me I needed induced with my first child because i was high risk and so on and so i did that, luckily i went into labor on my own the night before but he still insisted on using pitocin and other medicines. And he barely made it there on time to deliver her when she was born!!!!! My second child on the other hand was the worst experience with a doctor in my life. He barely care through the whole pregnancy rarely asked me any questions or concerns and just kind of blew me off about much of anything. When my water broke i went to the hospital and he kept ordering a pitocin drip even though i was naturally progressing on my own and i kept refusing and then the nurses started one any way and after it was started then they told me what they were doing. I was extremely upset and progressed way to quickly, I pushed my son out in 3 minutes. The nurses delivered my baby!!! He made it there in enough time take the placenta out and made a joke about how i should have closed my legs and waited. After I had my son I contracted a very deadly infection from the hospital because they made me take sitz baths constantly. I called Dr McCauls office once sometimes twice a day complaining of pains and things not being right and they just said that because i was breastfeeding it was normal and blew it off for a full week until i started getting a fever that showed up over the vikodin and motrin i was taking. I had likely been running a fever all week but couldn't stand the pain not to take the pain meds. They seen me finally on Friday and did some tests and did a full exam and ultrasound and said i most likely had a bad UTI and nothing to worry about or it could be an infection in my uterus but thats really rare and most likely not it. I went home and did research and had concluded that i did have the uterus infection but wanted to see what the dr said. He put me on antibiotics which reacted badly with the infection that i had and caused my fevers to get up to 107 and i sat in the ER for 3 hours before getting up and walking away because i wasnt important enough to be seen. Monday I was called about noon and said i needed to go straight to the hospital to be admitted that i had a very rare infection and it was attacking me inside out called Pseudomonas. Long story there. The first day i was in the hospital i was told depending on how far the infection had spread that i had low chances of surviving this. All because my doctor had ignored my worries and concerns for a full week and a half until i started to show signs of a fever through the pain medicine... He's lucky i dont contact a lawyer for medical negligence. JUST BEWARE AND DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!

July 20th, 2009
Dr. Jim has seen me through 3 pregnancies and births. During my first, I wasn't sure what to think about him, but as the pregnancy progressed, I was thankful to be in the hands of a doctor who specialized in high risk even though I was not. It made him keenly aware of symptoms of problems, and he was more thorough and took more precautions in his prenatal care than other doctors in the area. He also performs his own ultrasounds instead of being sent to a tech. He doesn't sugar coat and was rarely sympathetic to my text book, healthy pregnancy, but I really appreciated this about him. Come with a list of questions and concerns and you'll get along just fine. I'd recommend Dr. Jim to anyone!

February 23rd, 2009
This is an AWFUL Doctor!
Dr. McCaul is callous and his bedside manor is horrible. His judgement as a doctor is also lacking. I saw him for my 3rd pregnancy/birth, as I was high risk. When I did go into labor, I was 4 cms dialated and in active labor but because I did not progress over 2 hours, he sent me home. Within a few hours my daughter was born on the bathroom floor by the paramedics, because he sent me home. He checked me over brefly once we made it to the hospital, and made a joke about me not making it to the hospital. I was moving to another state 4 weeks later and he told me he didn't need to see me after the birth, that I could have my 6 week checkup in my new hometown by my new doctor. I got to my new area and every last doctor I called said they could not see me because they did not deliver my baby, and that it's a standard all over the country. One receptionist even suggested I see a lawyer after hearing my story. I could not be seen for a 6 week checkup and got by 2 months after giving birth by having an annual checkup. I would not recommend this doctor to anyone and he is lucky I did not contact a lawyer.