Orthopaedic Surgeon
University Of Iowa Hospital & Clinic
200 Hawkins Dr
Iowa City, IA 52243
319-356-2466
Locations and availability (1)

|  unbelievable  |  show details
by luke on Dec 2nd, 2013

Dec 14 1999 Dr Nepola Fixed My Left shoulder. I am not sure all that was wrong with it but can tell you six other doctors told me it would never be right. I was 19 years old and my shoulder dislocated 5 times a day doing everyday things. Everyone I send there has had great results. 14 years and no problems.

|  Outstanding  |  show details
by Andy Beatty on Feb 5th, 2013

In Feb. 2011 Dr. Nepola surgically repaired my right shoulder (pretty much everything except the rotator cuff was torn up after a fall in 2010). Two years later, I am back doing manual labor full-time. Prior to surgery he was very honest in admitting that I was in "uncharted territory" due to my age (55 at the time). Although Dr. Nepola had been doing a dozen or more shoulder operations per week during the preceding 15 years, he made sure I understood that virtually all of his shoulder patients had been in their 20s or 30s--maybe a couple in their early 40s--but never a patient in the mid-50s. While he had no reason to anticipate extra complications in repairing a 55-year-old shoulder, he acknowledged he simply did not know what to expect once he got inside my shoulder. I greatly appreciated his candor. The pre-surgical phase of treatment from Dr. Nepola was excellent. By the day of surgery, I felt well-educated about what he would be doing and about the plan immediately after the operation. Maybe as important as anything, I felt confident that, no matter what Dr. Nepola discovered inside my shoulder, I had the best possible surgeon working on me. I believed he would take excellent care of me, and he did. From the more "human" standpoint, I quickly came to like this man. He looked me straight in the eye, was calm, patient and direct in answering questions, and also displayed a fabulous dry sense of humor. Indeed, during pre-operative clinic visits, typically there were 2-3 resident doctors in the exam room with us--they were all good, and could not have had a better teacher/example than Dr. Nepola--and I imagine they were so focused on the medical aspects of my case that often they missed the moments when Dr. Nepola, with a perfectly straight face, would slip in an utterly hilarious comment. Not me. I'd be laughing aloud, and noted a twinkle in Dr. Nepola's eyes which confirmed that, yes, his comment was intended to be humorous. If he was simultaneously conducting a subtle "check" to assure I was listening closely, well, all the better. This kind man could have succeeded as a stand-up comedian, in my view, but for obviously selfish reasons I'm mighty glad he chose a career in orthopedic surgery. Andy Beatty Mesa, AZ Feb. 2013

|  Can't began to say enough positive things about this "Doctor"  |  show details
Jul 22nd, 2011

Let me start off by telling you a little about my injuries. "Right Shoulder Injury 14 years ago 1995. Needed partial replacement done in 2009.Before this had several injection done.Dr.Nepola will explain everything clearly to you before any procedures or surgery.He will go into great detail about what you as his patient can expect.Dr.Nepola performed a, total shoulder replacement, as well on me. At that time he gave specific instructions on getting in contact with him if needed after surgery. He has a sense of humor as well as a compassion for what you, as his patient are going through he offers not only to be your doctor but also he offers his friendship as a medical professional.Nevertheless anyone in need of a fanatastic amazing outstanding no holds bar surgeon he is the surgeon to see Dr.Nepola > University of Iowa. Iowa City Iowa.

|  patient  |  show details
Mar 9th, 2010

A absolute wonderful man. Who doesn't not waste time and gives an accurant diagnosis and gives you your options the same day. I loved the way he said these are your choices, think about it, and then we will fix the problem. Wish surgery could have been scheduled a lot sooner then it was - 2 months out is a long wait.

|  show details
May 22nd, 2009

I think he really spends time with you, finds the problem, and takes care of you very well.