Dr. James Chandler MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

• 20 reviews

July 19th, 2016
Dr. Chandler and his team were compassionate and caring to me and my husband.

May 20th, 2016
I was incredibly lucky to have Doctor Chandler then...
It was 4 years ago..I had a serious car accident in Chicago. Doctor Chandler saved my life with a very successful brain surgery. I was fully recovered only one month later! It was a miracle. Thank you so much, Doctor Chandler and your wonderful team!

March 1st, 2016
Dr. James Chandler Neurosurgery
Excellent service, perfect care, compassionate, kind & highly intelligent neuro surgeon (Dr. James Chandler), honest, superior surgeon in a superior location of Northwestern in Chicago, Illinois. Expertise & treatment surpassed my expectations. Thank you for saving my life Dr. Chandler & alleviating my severe migraines and central brain apnea (cured ! ) . Highly recommended, worth traveling out of state for the exceptional expertise of Dr. Chandler, he is the sweetest physician with the kindness & compassionate care in his field that I have ever met. thank you !

December 15th, 2015
Dr. Chandler saved my cousin Debra Cottrell's life. The rating come from her. He had her mind at ease from the beginning until he removed the cancerous tumor that was trying to take her life. We all thank you Dr.Chandler, and would recommend you to anyone.

December 2nd, 2015
Excellent surgeon and phenomenal person. I put my life in his hands and he delivered.

September 17th, 2015
I feel very lucky to have Dr. Chandler as my doctor!
We waited for about an 1 hour 45 min. because he had an emergency surgery in the morning. The nurses asked if we wanted water while we waited. I was scared we would be rushed, but he sat and answered all my questions and explained things very simple to understand. We scheduled surgery about a month after my visit. About a week after my first visit, I had a scare his nurses told me to get to the ER and they would be waiting, they took excellent care of me. I ended up having surgery moved up to two weeks after my first apt. I felt very well taken care of by Dr. Chandler and his team of doctors and nurses. It's been two weeks after surgery and had my first check up and I'm feeling and doing great.

February 18th, 2015
very happy
The most magnificent doctor and brilliant surgeon I have ever met. Dr. Chandler worked 14 hours to remove a bening tumor wrapped around my brainstem. I had no symptoms pre operatively and post op I'm the same!!! He and his staff are truly angels:)

October 24th, 2014
The best there is
Incredible doctor and surgeon. Very honest and ethical.

June 29th, 2013
disappointed and still in pain
While the doc himself may have been good in the cervical spinal fusion surgery itself, his inattentiveness and that of his resident and the hospital staff both pre and post op was nonexistent. I spoke very briefly with the resident before surgery and saw him and Chandler for only a few minutes the day after, where both doctors said almost nothing. I received almost no information on what to expect post-op, especially regarding the horrendous amount of pain I would be in, and further I was not given a collar to wear until over 30 hours after surgery. Post-op personnel were non-responsive to my nearly frantic calls for help during my overnight stay, and frequently just left me standing there when I needed assistance getting back into the bed. Post op team also insisted that there was no order for a collar, yet when I spoke to Chandler's clinic nurse 2 days afterward, she said that couldn't have been right and insisted that I wear it 24/7. I have received so many contradictory instructions from Chandler's and the hospital's staff that I am confused not only about how I should handle this post-op period, but whether or not the lack of the proper support for my neck for so long was appropriate or a mistake, and whether it will have a negative impact on my recovery and on the long term outcome of the surgery.

April 13th, 2013
The Neurosurgeon, Neurosurgeons would request.
If Dr. Chandler performs your surgery you are in the best hands possible. He diagnosed me with a brain tumor. His calm demeanor was a plus, as he gave an explanation of his diagonsis and the surgical procedure. In shock, I felt a second opinion was in order. After finding another reputable surgeon, a couple of minutes into the conversation he asked who I had gone to first. I told him Dr James Chandler. He looked intimidated. Then he said "If I had to have a pituitary tumor removed, he would be the one I would want to remove it" What a referral. Enough was said. I gathered my things while he was still talking and thanked him for his time. Then made an appointment for Dr. Chandler to perform my surgery. Some time has passed. I have had my final visit and my prognosis is great! Alway remember, everyone heals at their own pace. Every question and concern is valid. Write them down and make a copy for the doctor. Trying to get questions asked later through the nurse could prove to be futile. If you are blessed to have family or a friend, asked them to be there the day of surgery. Most of all, SMILE AND STAY POSITIVE! All these things help in the healing process. Dr. Chandler is one of the best surgeons in the country, but he cant do it alone. Patient input is essential.

January 30th, 2013
A woman who knew my daughter insisted that I see Dr. Chandler after I was told that, because of the location of the tumor, if I survived the surgery, it would likely cause a stroke. Prognosis: Maybe 5 years. Dr. Chandler performed the surgery, with Dr. Kern, which took 7 hours. During my hospital stay, the staff (except for one) were attentive and courteous. He followed up, answered questions. He was late to a follow-up appointment because of surgery, but I'm sure someone waited while he saved my life!

September 6th, 2012
Amazing
Dr. Chandler does an amazing job on brain tumor surgeries. A friend of mine had brain surgery and received an extended life from Dr. Chandler. When I was referred to Dr. Chandler, it was my saving grace! What amazed me the most is that a person who needed surgery at the same time as an appointment I had, he chose the surgery. I know a lot of people get irritated by that, but that just makes me know that he really and truly wants to better a persons life if he can.