Dr. James Powell Jr MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

August 23rd, 2016
botched circumcision
If you have a boy at Mt. Nittany Medical Center, DO NOT let Dr. Powell perform your son's circumcision. Our son's circumcision looks terrible, and will need to be corrected surgically later on. The worst part is that at each and every one of his check ups at Mt. Nittany Pediatrics in Boalsburg, not one single pediatrician, nor PA-C, had the decency to admit it was abnormal and poorly done. They'd just pull on the abundance of crooked foreskin Dr. Powell left behind, and then say, "There. That looks better." That's not how this works. Each and every one of them chose to put their colleague's careless work over the well-being of our son. So disappointed in the entire staff of Mt. Nittany Pediatrics practitioners. I will say, however, that the nursing staff at Mt. Nittany Labor and Delivery, as well Dr. Hovick as an OBGYN, were all excellent.

August 16th, 2013
Would ask more questions up front...
Dr. Powell seems like a genuinely nice person, however, I believe his academic curiosity, at least in our case, drove additional tests that were not required. Our daughter had a low platelet count, and even though it appeared nowhere near the danger level, we agreed to the tests. They turned out to be over $1000, as well as an addition $50 charge for a second opinion from another doctor, for which we received abill fom a collection agency months later. Dr. Powell was absolutely clueless as to the cost of the tests, and when our primary care physician learned what he was doing, she said there were no issues to worry about, and she planned to tell Dr. Powell about her opinions on his behavior. I would not plan to return to this doctor.

March 4th, 2013
Dr. Powell
Dr.Powell is one of the finest doctors I've met. He came into our lives at the worst time of our lives and has been there since 2005. I've never met a doctor who's so caring and has the best patient bedside manners. He's become a close friend to our family.I could not express how thankful he was the one choosing to be our sons Oncologist. I've never seen a doctor so thorough and goes over every detail as he does. To tell you how much I believe he will give you the best of his care, he moved to State College from Hershey and we followed him to continue on with our sons follow up care.Thank you Dr. Powell for all you've done .

March 30th, 2017