Dr. James Rowland MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

October 3rd, 2015
I agree with the comments about his rude staff; I cannot comment if the current staff is any better because I stopped going to him. They spent so much time gossiping that they were totally oblivious to what a patient (myself) was waiting at the window to discuss (make a new appointment). When they did acknowledge me, I was treated like they couldn't be bothered (& were very dismissive of my request). They insisted that I had to take an appointment, I did not want, and said my insurance would not pay for the month I needed. I let them know that I had already checked with insurance and that they pay for one exam per calendar year. All they wanted to do was argue & also told me no when I asked to talk to the doctor; would not even leave a message for him. I later found out that they had destroyed all of my records (even prior years that didn't even belong to this particular doctor, my child's birth records, etc.). I concluded that this doctor was totally clueless as to what was going on in his office and that the stress and aggravation was not worth it; my last bad experience there put all of the other negative experiences there in perspective. Hard to believe that a simple once a year check up could be such a hassle.

March 23rd, 2015
If you want a natural birth, find another doctor.

December 4th, 2012
Dr Rowland
I have been a patient of Dr Rowlands for several years. I feel very comfortable with discussing any medical concerns with him.

August 1st, 2012
Fantastic
Dr Rowland is great!He listens to what I expect from a doctor and doesn't push unnecessay procedures down your throat. Would highly recommend him.

June 28th, 2012
BEST CARE WITH KINDNESS
Dr. Rowland is a great doctor with a kind bedside manner. I wish he would have been the doctor to deliver my first baby, but we were not so fortunate. I have had the need for gentle and understanding care in the past, and Dr. Rowland, along with his staff, all helped me get through the situation. When I have questions for him, he is always more than happy to answer and give me any other information I may not have thought of. I never wait long for my appointment (if I, myself, am on time ~ hint, hint other reviewers), and I never have to worry about getting an appointment either.I don't know how anyone could give this doctor a bad review. I have been a patient of other female OBGYN's and none were as kind as Dr. Rowland. I will stick with this doctor until he's not practicing any more because I trust him with my health.

June 21st, 2012
Dr. Rowland delivered 2 of my 3 kids and did my hysto surgery last year. + 2 other small procedures in between. He did an awesome job of listening to exactly to what I needed and said I wanted with each procedure. Maybe the women who rated him low were expecting a "tell 'em what to do doctor"...I don't like that. I told him what was going on, he gave me options, I decided what was best for me and he was always there to answer my constant concerns esp after my hysto surgery--I went in prob 4 times for what turned out to be very little but he brought me in each time no problem! Not afraid to keep exploring solutions to a problem. Overall a nice guy. It means something to me when a doctor remembers something about you 9 months later and you know they didn't read it in the chart!

May 29th, 2012
Dr. Rowland happened to be on call the night that I was in labor with our first child, and he ended up performing my c-section almost 4 years ago. I was immediately a fan of his bedside manner and knowledge. Since then, I've scheduled all of my appointments with him, to include everything for my second pregnancy; Dr. Rowland performed that c-section as well. I had no problem scheduling frequent appointments, I never felt rushed, and I never waited longer than 15 minutes for an appointment, which I feel is totally acceptable. The office staff is also very caring and helpful. As for Dr. Rowland, I literally cannot say enough about him. He is honest and straightforward, which is something that I very much appreciated throughout my last pregnancy. I've always found his bedside manner to be excellent, and when I have an appointment with him he thoroughly explains everything that is going on. I am moving across the country next month, but fully intend to travel back to Pittsburgh for my annual appointments--that's how great I think this doctor is!

May 16th, 2012
Highly recommend
I switched to Century Medical when I was 5 months pregnant with my first child because I was unhappy with the doctor I was seeing. A friend referred me to Dr. Logan, but my schedule rarely meshed with his available appointments, so I ended up seeing Dr. Rowland most of the time. He immediately put both me and my husband at ease. As it turned out, when I went into labor, which lasted all day, Dr. Rowland happened to be the doctor who came on in the evening and delivered my baby. For my second pregnancy, I scheduled all my appointments with Dr. Rowland, and scheduled to be induced so that I could be sure he would deliver. I always feel comfortable with Dr. Rowland, no matter what the issue. He is easy to deal with and has always been able to help me with any issues I am having.

November 18th, 2011
The Worse Medical Care or Lack Their Of
After waiting well over an hour, Dr. Rowland met with me for about seven minutes, including the exam. He told me that he was sending an Rx for family planning to my pharmacy, his staff never did. After three hours of non-stop calls, I finally got someone to send the Rx. After I finally got the Rx, I developed an allergic reaction. I was given an appointment for the day after my call; for my second appointment, I was met with a rude staff and sat in a paper dress for over an hour (even though there was only one person in front of me). I was so upset when it hit me, I probably developed this reaction, because he only spent two minutes talking to me before he examined me; moreover, I do not need to be conducting business with anyone that has their patients waiting over an hour, or forgets to forward a prescription.

October 3rd, 2011
First and Last Visit
Dr. Rowland was very nice. I do not think he was a very caring doctor. He was knowledgable, but not very good at offering direction. I asked for a full STD screening and he said we can only do X and Y here. I had to ask where can I do everything else (which I think is a question that should not have been asked, because STD screenings are procedure), his answer made it seem like it was a chore to get tested for anything. When I looked at the sheet for the requisition for tests for the outside labs, only two tests were on there. I waited about fifty minutes to meet with him for eight minutes, and he could not even award me with the full exam I am accoustumed to. He was gentle and respectful, but I was not very confident leaving there that I received good medical attention.

August 13th, 2011
Best around
I have seen Dr Rowland for 3 years now and I can NOT believe the one review here! He is by far not rough, in fact he performs exams with the greatest of care and respect to me. I could never see him being disrespectful to any patient. That is NOT in his nature. I will continue to see him forever and have (and will continue) to refer my family and friends to him. He is THE BEST AROUND.

March 25th, 2011
Simply the Best
I have been a patient of Century Medical Associates for the past 30 years. I became a patient of Dr. Rowland's the day he joined the practice 5 years ago and that was my lucky day. Dr. Rowland has always treated me with the utmost respect and professionalism. Medical issues require that I see him quite often throughout the year and I look forward to each and every visit. Dr. Rowland assisted me in making a surgical decision 4 years ago that I know saved my life. He is an excellant physician who is kind and caring. Should he ever relocate; I would follow.