Dr. James Schoeb MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery of the Spine Chatham, NJ

3.8

February 28th, 2017
Terrible
Worse doctor's visit EVER!!! After close to an hour he finally came into the room to see me. Told him all the pain I was in with my back. Saw me for all of 5 minutes after he tapped me on the knees and did a couple of tests to my hands not once checking my back!! Told me stories about 18 year old marines having same pain which doesn't help me at all since I was 18 21 years ago. This guy is useless to me. Scheduled my follow up got home and cancelled it. The secretary asked me if I wanted to reschedule I told her No I don't want to see him ever again & how terribly useless I found him to be...she connected me to a voicemail & told me to leave a message with exactly what I told her...it felt as though my call wasn't the 1st of its kind about him

February 10th, 2017
Dr. Schoeb literally changed my life. I was in PT for years and everyone told me I didn't want surgery so I just kept living with a lot of pain. Things finally got so bad I realized my neck was making my leg weak. I went to a lot of people, neurosurgeons and neurologists but most of them really wouldn't say I was likely to be improved. I was really scared to have surgery but Dr. Scheob said he could definitely improve my symptoms. He has a great bedside manner and I trusted him. I has outpatient disc replacement and was back at work (my job is physical) - 5 days later. My leg is getting stronger with every week that passes and best of all I have no pain. I can fly on an airplane, sleep on a couch, use my ipad and do all my physical activities with no pain. He's awesome and I would tell anyone not to live in pain if Dr. Schoeb thinks he can fix you.

January 17th, 2017
Dr. Schoeb literally changed my life. I would strongly encourage anyone who has neck or back pain to see him. I had a horrible cervical disc herniation and had been in PT twice weekly for a couple of years. My main complaint was that I had weakness in my leg - but I also had a lot of pain for a long time. I could feel that when my neck was exacerbated I couldn't use my leg on the same side and I'm a veterinarian and when I looked at my MRI it made sense to me that it was causing the problem. I'm pretty young to have my symptoms and went to several neurologists and neurosurgeons who said I couldn't be fixed and or my symptoms could be from anywhere. Fortunately, I went to Dr. Schoeb and he looked at my MRI and said my symptoms made sense and surgery might fix my leg weakness and would definitely fix my pain. I was pretty scared to have the surgery, but Dr. Schoeb had such a good bedside manner- confident but not conceited, that I went ahead. I was back at work 5 days later! I wish I'd done surgery 10 years earlier. I can fall asleep on a couch now! My leg is getting strong again. Clearly, he's an amazing surgeon, but he also cares a lot about his patients. He called and texted me a bunch after surgery and I think he will also give a clear explanation of what results a person can expect (he never made promises about full recovery of my leg- but it totally happened) and doesn't want anyone to walk away unsatisfied. Surgery wasn't painless, but it was way less painful than I expected- I took one Percocet and my throat and the back of my neck we sore decreasingly for 3 days. Good luck with your backs! Don't live with your pain- Dr. Schoeb can fix you!

October 27th, 2016
I trust all his advice and medical decisions. He has a great personality and is a straight shooter who tells it like it is.

October 7th, 2016
He got me "back"
Sr. Schoeb diagnosed my issue right away after looking at my MRI. He was forthright, took time to explain things and gave me a great deal of confidence I would be enjoying a 'normal' life again. When my body developed some complications, he was there every day and did all he could to work with the hospital to make sure my care and treatment were handled accurately and properly. He showed genuine concern for me and when all the rehab was done I was feeling almost brand new. I still have PT to go to but no symptoms returned and now it is up to me to follow his and the PT's orders.

September 24th, 2016
Patient
I have been seeing Dr. Schoeb since 2013. I am happy with the services provided thus far, and am now currently preparing for surgery with Dr. Schoeb. I am confident and happy to have him as my surgeon.

June 6th, 2016
Counselor and Eductor
I have yet to me Dr. Schoeb - funny because my wife had her appointment canceled on her by Dr. Schoeb (or his office) three times, in the course of three weeks. He came highly recommended by colleagues in various fields from Morristown Memorial Hospital, but the probability of emergencies three times in a row for the exact same patient - unlikely. So, like an iTunes rating - until the matter is resolved, the Dr. will get a poor score from point of view.

May 12th, 2016
diagnosed problem, performed very successful surgery. Careful follow-up post op.

February 19th, 2016
Dr Schoeb review
We were able to get an appointment at the NJ Spine Center with Dr Schoeb quickly for our serious back problems which needed quick attention. Dr Schoeb reviewed all test results and imaging with us in the room, he explained his observations and diagnosis clearly, answered all our questions completely. He also insured that we understood his diagnosis, recommendations, and their risks/benefits, and our expected outcomes. He was very friendly and direct and gave us great confidence. So far (3-weeks after my surgical procedure to resolve right hand weakness/palsy and the beginning of my wife's more conservative treatment for lower back/upper leg pain) our recoveries and outcomes are what he told us to expect. We are completely satisfied, and my wife and I recommend both Dr Schoeb and the NJSpine Center in Chatham very highly.

November 1st, 2015
His professionalism, knowledge, experience and bedside manner is second to none. I trust Dr. Schoeb implicitly and would never let another surgeon operate on my spine. He is caring, compassionate, and goes above and beyond to ensure he has done everything medically possible to help his patients.

August 2nd, 2015
Dr Schoeb diagnosed my problem did not rush me to do any anything i did not want . Had surgery with very little discomfort . Also he has a great bed side manner. I have other problems in neck will see Dr Schoeb if the future.

January 23rd, 2015
Like seeing a used car salesman complete with bait and switch tactics
This guy is a complete incompetent quack and if you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of visiting this spine center see anyone but this guy. He promotes himself as, "fellowship-trained and board-certified orthopaedic spine surgeon. specializes in the treatment of disorders of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. Utilizing minimally-invasive techniques and innovative technologies to optimize outcomes for his patients" But yet when my wife met with him he was unable to do anything other than look at her MRI and recommend another doctor to give her trigger point injections. What good is this guy if he is unable to do this himself? Im not a radiologist but it doesn't take an expert to look at my wifes MRI and see 2 severely herniated discs which any kid who ever played operation knows a trigger point injection will do nothing. This place specializes in one thing. Thats to give patients the run around in an attempt to have you return multiple times and see multiple "doctors" and spend thousands of dollars just to do what they know you needed done in the first place. A Discectomy.