Dr. James Totoro MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

November 29th, 2016
My doctor said I needed to see a genreal surgeon and he recommended Dr. Totoro. I have been a patient of my primary doctor for many years and trust him completely. He told me Dr,. Totoro was the only surgeon he would go to personally and allow to treat him or his family and that many of his fellow physicians felt the same way. I was very pleased with Dr., Totoro, his staff and the high quality of care I was afforded. I would HIGHLY recommend him and feel the negative comments about this gifted surgeon are unwarranted and by patients who just want to complain and would not have been pleased with ANYONE.

December 22nd, 2014
STAY AWAY IF YOU WANT TO LIVE
I would have to agree with the majority here. This man is an egotistical idiot and a butcher. It's his way or the highway and that's that. I don't know how in the world Mercy allows him to continue operating on anyone. The man has maimed more people than any surgeon I've ever seen and I've been to many. Back in 2011 I went to him to have massive amounts of abdominal and pelvic adhesions taken down. This was to have been a "simple outpatient procedure." In and out the same day. When I came out from under the anesthesia, I was in a regular hospital room! The surgery nurse learning over telling me "he perforated your colon!!!!" WHAT??? The surgery started off laparoscopically and ended up an emergency and me lying there with a huge midline vertical incision! On top of all of this, the man outright abandoned me the 3rd day I was in the hospital. I never heard from nor saw him again. I was in there 5 days and should NOT have been released because by that time my incision had become massively infected with what ended up being a bacterial cellulitis infection! I spent the next 2 days after Mercy released me in the ER at Baptist. I certainly wasn't going to go back to Mercy! The first day I went, the doc I saw at Baptist wanted to admit me immediately. He even made a point to let my mom and I know the surgical team was a floor above us and ready to roll. THAT is how serious this was! Well then he comes back in and tells me, well I cannot admit you because this surgeon isn't licensed to practice here! Gooood grief! I was discharged, but he sure did not want me to leave. He was so nice and so concerned. I went back there on the second day because my incision was bleeding even worse and ended up being sent back to Mercy by ambulance. When I got there, the ER docs asked me who my surgeon was, I tell them, and got "the eye roll." He never even scheduled me to come in after being released to get my staples removed. I ended up on the 4th day in the hospital, seeing another surgeon, someone I didn't even know and she was the one I ended up seeing. When I went in to see her, she could not believe I still had my staples in me. She just assumed he'd already done it. I even had a woman in the emergency r-ray department at Mercy tell me not to let him touch me. She said they get more return patients of his than any other surgeon out there, due to his mistakes. All I know is the man maimed me for life. Ever since that surgery, my colon does not function. I have absolutely no colon motility and have been put on two different types of medications just to be able to have a bowel movement. Prior to this surgery, for over a decade I was dealing with chronic diarrhea! And now I can't do anything. It has been a total nightmare for me. I found all of this out about him AFTER my surgery. I've made it a point since then, to get online and check any doctor or surgeon out with these rate md websites online, as well as do a search on our court network's website online to see how many times they've been sued for malpractice or negligence. I have also found out that unfortunately, there are only 3 surgeons in this entire state that have the experience needed to do this type of delicate surgery.

December 2nd, 2013
FANTASTIC DR
Recently had surgery with Dr Totoro and he could not have been nicer. He explained everything to me in detail and even came by the hospital several times close to the Thanksgiving holiday. I tusted him implicitly and recommend him highly.

October 25th, 2013
Watchout for this Dr!
I had hernia surgery, same day I left hospital hernia was still there. Week later hernia was still there. Went back for follow up and he said he could fix that for me. I said you were suppose to fix it already. He acted confused looked at his records, left room, came back and said if you would like your hernia fixed he can do it, then left the room ignoring my comments. Horrible Dr., did wrong surgery on me in my opinion.

September 24th, 2012
Very caring, considerate and patient
I called while he was on vacation. He talked to me and moved my surgery date up a week. He worked me in his schedule and made sure that I was comfortable while he was on vacation. He told me if anything happened before he came back to call the on call doctor and he would handle my surgery. Dr. Totoro went above and beyond his call of duty. I would highly recommend Dr. Totoro.

July 10th, 2012
Uncaring, doesn't listen, poor outcome, condescending, arrogant
I would never recommend this Surgeon to anyone. I had a very simple procedure and wound up with a terrible complication. The Dr not only disregarded my concerns, but disregarded the severity of the complication once it was uncovered. He spent very little time and showed absolutely no compassion or remorse for the outcome. Luckily, ANOTHER surgeon acknowledged the NEGLIGENCE of Dr Totoro and immediately admitted me to another hospital. I was in the hospital for 8 days and wound up undergoing 2 further procedures because of Dr. Totoro's negligence.