Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by G S on Jan 16th, 2014

Dr, Verner did a total hip replacement on my left side using the anterior approach. I was walking and pain free the next day at Beaumont. Took a couple pain pills after surgery then only tylenol when needed. Used a walker for a few days now using a cane and it has only been 1 week. Care was great Dr Verner and associate checked on me each day and follow up by hospital is great.

Outstanding Surgeon & Hip Procedure Technique show details Outstanding Surgeon & Hip Procedure Technique
by Charlie M on Jan 14th, 2014

Very thorough, spent as much time As I desired to answer questions. His technique for full replacement hip surgery allowed for a quick recovery. Highly skilled, incision very small. Getting an appointment and scheduling is long given the high demand for this Dr. For me the ideal skilled surgeon available, but keep in mind if everything is good after your surgery you will see a physician's assistant as Dr Verner is busy with pre-op patients and performing surgeries, but his results so good that I can live with it.

Afraid to use him again show details Afraid to use him again
Dec 15th, 2013

I have had a terrible time. I had a hip replacement from Dr. Verner. I had popping noises when I went home to recoup. No one ever called me back from his office. When I went into his office for a 3 week review I was told I was fine and could go off my hip precautions. The popping noise was explained as staples popping out of my stomach. I had an appointment for Physical Therapy the following day and bent down to feed my dogs. The whole hip went out and I was sent my ambulance back to the hospital where it was put back. It is almost 2 years now and I still have pain, weakness and now have got to figure out where to go to have my other hip done. I do not trust this office. Very poor patient attention. Also after surgery I had a terrible back problem and was immobile with excruciating pain and this wasn't addressed properly. I was somehow blamed for this and they kept telling me this was a preexisting condition. And to add to my misery, Beaumont was the dirtiest hospital. I had to have my daughter get a broom and clean my room. I was sleeping on bloody sheets.

Superior doctor show details Superior doctor
by K.M. on Feb 17th, 2013

Had anterior total hip replacement. I was walking in fewer than three weeks, pain free within a month. Amazing doctor. He really cares about his patients.

great results show details great results
Sep 19th, 2012

I had the anterior incision for a total hip replacement and my recovery was speedy. I used a walker for about 4 days and then a cane for another 4 or 5 days and then I didn't need anything to help me walk. I didn't have the movement restrictions that you have with other hip replacements. I did not need pain meds after surgery at all.

Best of luck show details Best of luck
Jun 27th, 2011

I had an anterior hip replacement by Dr. Verner. Unfortunately I did not experience "pain free" recuperation. I had awful pain from the moment of surgery. After many months and dismissal by Dr. Verner, I have found another surgeon who immediately diagnosed nerve damage. I would not return to Dr. Verner. He was very caring before the surgery, never saw him in the hospital and dismissed my pain after the surgery. I wish I had the success so many others speak of.

Jun 25th, 2011

Dr. Verner replaced my left knee a year ago & will be replacing my right knee soon. He's an excellent doctor, very skilled & caring!! BECAUSE he's so great there's usually a 2 to 3 month wait to book the surgery, but he's definitely worth waiting for!!

Amazing, Amazing, Amazing! show details Amazing, Amazing, Amazing!
Jan 27th, 2011

I had experienced intractible pain for months prior to my surgery with Dr. Verner. I had researched Dr. Verner following advice from one of my own patients, who is an orthopaedic surgical nurse at Wm Beaumont Hospital; this nurse had recommended Dr. Verner's 'Anterior' procedure over the standard 'Posterior' surgery. I am stunned with the speed of my recovery; I am walking without a walker or cane one (1) week post-surgery, and the pain I have experienced is minimal compared to the pre-surgical pain. I can't recommend Dr. James J. Verner, MD more enthusiastically! ~ D. R. Hough, Bingham Farms, MI

Excellent surgeon show details Excellent surgeon
Nov 3rd, 2010

Dr. Verner replaced my hip a year ago utilizing the Birmingham hip procedure. I found him informative, honest, and caring. I believe him to be an outstanding surgeon. I've had no trouble with my new hip.

Oct 29th, 2010

I would NEVER suggest this Dr to anyone. We wanted him to do hip replacements on my husband, but after leaving numerous unanswered messages we went with another surgeon. Loved the fact that the staff told us that they "couldn't duct tape him to a chair and make him return his phone calls".No one in the office is able to return ANY phone calls. WOULD NEVER USE THIS DR EVER!

Dec 11th, 2009

On Dec 3 2009 I hip replacement by Doctor Verner. December 11 I am virtually pain free and have nothing but good to say about Dr Verner. He is polite, reassuring, informative and obviously very skillful.

great doctor show details great doctor
by Iris Rosen on Nov 7th, 2009

Dr. Verner is a wonderful, caring, talented doctor. He has replaced both my knees & my hip this year. I highly recommend him!