Dr. James Wheeler MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

July 28th, 2016
Dr. Wheeler tried to put me on so many medications all at once...progesterone, testosterone cream, it was ridiculous. Even the pharmacist at Walgreens expressed major concern when I was picking up all of these medications all at once! It gave me reason to think and I went for a second opinion right away. 2 other doctors heavily disagreed with Dr. Wheeler so I switched immediately.

May 13th, 2016
Please Stay Away From This "Doctor"
Worst medical experience of my life. When I confronted him about a blatant oversight in my care and misleading communication, he insulted me for several minutes and referred me to another doctor. Not to mention that I didn't even confront him about all the oversights in my care. This all after he had just conducted a well-woman exam without even asking me if I was still breastfeeding or if I my period had returned since giving birth. In fact, he neglected to acknowledge the fact that I had had a baby at all. After polling a number of other woman I know see him for the same condition I went to him for, I found that almost all had stopped seeing him due to incompetent care (including prescription doses which were dangerously high) and his disgusting, arrogant bedside manner. Just. Stay. Away.

April 21st, 2016
Too much ego
I was very disappointed in my care. I tried him for a year and he is just full of himself. Does not listen. Horrible bedside manner. After a year of no results for my pain and not being taken seriously. All he wanted to try was Metformin... I don't have insulin resistance. No thank you! I have never been talked down to so much. Things like this wouldn't bother me but there were no results.

April 14th, 2016
Never ever would I go back
Thinks too much of himself and turns so rude as his as his treatment isn't working for you. Old methods and medications. Needs updated info and more holistic options.

September 8th, 2015
I got there a half-hour early and they got me in within 10 minutes of sitting down. He was thorough, though his bedside manner could be off-putting. He's smart but knows it & flaunts it. He made some assumptions that I had to correct. Overall though, he was sensitive and confident, which is good in an OBGYN. Just put him in his place when he's wrong.

March 10th, 2015
Grateful Patient
Dr. James Wheeler is the most talented Gyno I've ever experienced. I have been going to him my whole adult life and he literally saved my life more than once when other doctors just said 'I don't know what your problem is.' Even when I moved away from Houston and had issues no doctor in my new city could diagnose, I went back to Houston just to see him and he determined the real problem, treated me, and made me healthy again. I have complicated health issues no other doctor could ever help me with, thank heaven for Dr. Wheeler! He is a total sweetheart and always makes me feel at ease by asking about my family, telling silly jokes, talking about his kids and acting like a friend. If you have serious issues, he's definitely the one you should see. I finally decided to use him not just as my Gyno but as my primary physician because he is so much more intuitive and talented than most doctors, and way more concerned about his patients and their quality of life. Thank you, Dr. Wheeler!

January 31st, 2015
I will never see this doctor again. He has the worst temperament, needless to say he has awful bedside manner. The only time I felt like he respected me was when my husband came with me. I now have a baby without his help obviously. I would NEVER recommend this doctor to anyone.

December 19th, 2014
Dr. Wheeler helped me through 20 weeks of preterm labor. Great man!

February 26th, 2014
Unprofessional
I have been a patient of Dr. Wheeler for over a year. It is very frustrating to call his office and ALWAYS get an answering machine and then NEVER...I mean NEVER getting a call back. I don't care how smart and how many educational degrees he has, a patient should not be treated like this. Not to mention his INAPPROPRIATE comments during the visit/examinations. Thank God that his assistant (who happens to be his wife) is in attendance during the examinations! Also, forget about reaching him for an emergency after hours...you cannot! He needs to be on staff at a teaching hospital, NOT in private practice. I will NOT return to his office under any circumstances.

December 27th, 2013
Very Condescending
I was referred to Dr. Wheeler by a friend who said he is great at what he does but warned he had an unusual bedside manner. I was floored at several if the inappropriate comments made by this doctor. In addition he was very condiscending and rude. I have never in my life been so humiliated by a doctor during a routine check up. I discussed this behavior with some if his other patients who agreed that he had treated them the same way even making one friend cry! I will not be seeing him again.

September 9th, 2011
My grade...F
I was very disappointed with Dr. Wheeler. He had come highly recommended by a friend of mine. When meeting with him, he made me feel I was acting like a baby about my endometriosis pain. He accused me of "Just wanted to have surgery". All I wanted was to not be in such horrible pain. After his rude, almost reprimanding conversation, I found a different doctor who did perform surgery and I lived pain free for years after that. I have no idea why Dr. Wheeler treated me in that fashion, but I am thankful I now have a doctor who is willing to actually help and not just put me on Metformin.

August 29th, 2011
I drive an hour from outside of Houston to see Dr. Wheeler, as do several of my friends. I had issues that my local doctors told me was either my being melo-dramatic or just part of being a woman, so they wrote me off. Dr. Wheeler was the first "female" doctor that I saw, and I was still a virgin. He was wonderful with me, very gentle, comforting, and helped me to feel at ease with a scary situation. He takes time to find out what's really going on, and will just allow you to vent if that's what you need! This is a quality almost extinct among doctors. I hear friends complain about going to the OB/GYN, but I never dread going. My little sister now sees him as well, and she loves him too!The staff are all wonderful! I enjoy seeing them. Everyone from the receptionist to the doctor makes you feel cared for and important.