Orthopedic Surgeons
1631 Hospital Dr
Ste 200
Santa Fe, NM 87505
505-424-0200
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

Some ratings provided by CitySearch.
 |  19 years and counting  |  show details
by John L. on May 28th, 2014

I broke my knee when I was 18 years old. That was in 1996. Dr. Bear did that surgery was not needed and that it would heal on its own. He gave me a Velcro leg splint and told me to make sure the bottom of my shoe never touched the ground. He determined that all in about 10 minutes or less. I was a kid and I was not impressed. And that was it. Fast forward 19 years. I am nearly 40 years old and my knee has hurt me every single day since then. I have been limited to do some activities. My knee still gives me trouble too. Have been in pain for nearly 20 years due to a rushed office visit and a cheap splint. I think of Dr. Bear every day of my life.

|  Great Job!  |  show details
by Dave on May 1st, 2014

I saw Dr. Bear a year prior to actually scheduling surgery. He took x-rays and I could see how badly my knee had deteriorated. During that visit, he told me something that i don't think any other doctor would have told me, which made me trust him completely. He said "Knee Replacement is a barbaric procedure, but it WORKS" That is what I call truly honest. When I finally had the procedure done I was out of the hospital in two days walking on my own. He provided a Patient coordinator who guided me through the entire process including setting up all the required appointments with other medical functions like MRI and my Cardiologist. Dr Bear provides a "Total Joint Class" where he spends an entire morning explaining the process and what to expect when you get to the hospital. My wife attended with me and her first reaction was " I really like him! He is a straight talker" The morning of my surgery Dr. Bear told me that he had already performed the surgery mentally and visually using my MRI, which only added to my confidence level. Everything went great, my pain was very well managed, and I could not have asked for a better surgical experience. Today I am four months out of surgery and doing very well on my new knee, thanks to Dr. Bear.

|  patient  |  show details
Jul 22nd, 2013

I was misled about follow up care. I had a total hip replacement and was on less medication afterwards than when I went into the hospital. Dr Bear is very uncaring about this unless it's for himself, when he is injured. I wish I had waited, but I my husband and I were so assured by his head PA when we called that we went ahead. It was worse than Iraq. One follow up visit.

|  Ortho Tech  |  show details
by Gloria Roybal on Jun 26th, 2013

I worked with Dr.Bear for several years at UNMH, and I took care of most of his post op patients, every patient of Dr. Bear's that I spoke to had nothing but positive remarks about Dr. Bear and the surgery he performed on them. He was also highly respected by the orthopedic staff and by the attending physicans and his peers.

|  Very poor care  |  show details
May 4th, 2013

During my visit, Jan Bear's manner was close to nasty. I chose to see another doctor, and my knee problems were treated surgically and well. That was some ten years ago and my knee has been fine ever since. Dr. Bear told me that he "could do surgery, but it probably wouldn't last and I'm sure you'll make the right decision." He was right about that - my decision to see another physician was correct. I have since heard stories from several other people who had bad experiences with this doctor. They, too, were horrified by his manner and I know of two surgeries that were performed very badly.

|  show details
by Ray Matthew on Jan 3rd, 2011

Jan Bear is an excellent Orthopedic surgeon and did a great job on my right hip. My wife is a nurse at Saint Vincent's Medical Center, Santa Fe New Mexico, where Dr. Bear performs surgery. While she has been an RN for over twenty-five years, she's only worked at Saint Vincents for three years. She wanted the opinion about who the best local orthopedic doctor was, so she asked the nurses on the orthopedic floor who they would recommend for hip surgery. Jan Bear was the universal recomendation. The reasons why? First: They said that they virtually never see any of his patients admitted for post operative infections and the nurses on the Med-Surge floor agreed with that opinion. Second: He does most of the orthopedic surgeries at the hospital and has been doing surgeries for twenty years. He simply is the most experienced and consistantly has the best outcomes. I can testify to that.

|  show details
by krlolita on Jul 1st, 2005 on citysearch.com

Sewed up my ruptured achilles tendon quite nicely. Gave solid instructions for recovery. Great orthopedic surgeon with better than average bedside manner for an orthopod. Carl is also a really nice and skilled assistant. Even through the pain he will m

Read Full Review at citysearch.com