Family Physicians, General Practitioner, Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

University City
Center For Womens Med
9834 Genesee Ave
Ste 320
La Jolla, CA 92037
858-457-5555
Locations and availability (1)

2.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Kudzu.
 |  Horrible doctor, horrible service. Do not go here!!!  |  show details
by Monica Kapur on Jan 20th, 2014

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Dr Schwartz. My first visit, she made me wait over an hour despite having an appointment. During my physical I gave a bad urine sample and she promised to call me back with the info to get it checked out further. She called me back over 3 months later! I told her I was feeling fine and did not feel the need to see another doctor. Additionally, I feel that she is only out to make money because she gave me several specialty referrals for a nutritionist, pathologist, etc. I received several bills from her despite having insurance coverage for a bunch of things I never even requested! I got a letter in the mail from a collector for $65.00 from her sending my samples to be tested. I just had a standard physical and I am stuck with hundreds of dollars of debt. I am never going back here again.

|  Shocked and Appalled  |  show details
May 10th, 2013

Waited over an hour for my appointment. This "doctor" is the most rude individual I've ever met in this profession! She was arrogant, insulting and all around rude. She belittled and mocked me. It seems time for this woman to retire! I will never spend another moment with "Dr. Schwartz". There are too many caring and knowledgable doctors in our area to put up with this type of substandard behavior.

|  Dissapointed  |  show details
by NatK on May 9th, 2013

Dr. Schwartz does not seem to want to get to 'know' you as a patient but instead tell you what she thinks you need to do rather than listening to what is ailing you. I went in for a basic physical women's exam (first time) and that is all. She requested that a breathing test be done (without warning of the cost) and for some reason stresses that I should look into Accutane...(this is when I should've left). What? I stressed to her that I did not believe it was safe nor did I need something THAT bad--she dismissed what I said and tried to enforce that she was right it was safe...cmon. Anyway just received a bill for over 400 for a womens exam... she just tries to keep you there to over charge you for services you don't need!!! beware.

|  horrible MA and front desk  |  show details
May 2nd, 2013

Janet is a great doctor but I have recently switched because I can not stand her staff. They are rude, unhelpful and inconsiderate.

|  TERRIBLE  |  show details
Nov 28th, 2012

She is rude, disrespectful and a has become a witch. IF you are interested in alternatives to traditional medical approaches don't expect her to be open. I would absolutely NOT recommend you see this doctor. Her Nurse Practitioner misdiagnosed an issue and failed to request the correct blood work. When asked about it she just dismissed it.

|  Caring, smart, and wise  |  show details
Jan 17th, 2012

Dr. Schwartz is everything I've ever asked for in a general practitioner. She genuinely cares about her patients; she keeps current with what's new; she has affiliations with the best specialists in the area; she takes time to discuss issues with you; and her staff is helpful and professional. I recommend her highly!

|  Wouldn't go back if you paid me  |  show details
Dec 20th, 2011

Never met a doctor like her. Was recommended to go and figured it would be worth the money. My insurance does not cover. Appointment took forever. Nothing was resolved. Was rude to my mother. Nurses were slow (took 20-30 just to get history only to have it be typed in incorrectly. Office seemed disorganized. I was charged extra because time went over which is ridiculous as the timing is their own fault. It's been two months and I still haven't heard back from office on follow up.

|  My Trusted Doctor for Over 25 Years!  |  show details
Nov 10th, 2011

Dr. Schwartz has been my trusted personal doctor for over 25 years. She's been there for me through many health challenges over the years, and has been a vital part of helping me live a healthy, active life. Dr. Schwartz's skill as a physician, her caring manner, and her integrity are everything I look for in a great doctor. Over the many years I have recommended her to countless friends and family members. I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Schwartz to anyone looking for a great doctor with the experience and medical skill to accurately diagnose, the caring manner to make you feel comfortable, and the dedication to be there for you and help you through any health challenge you may face. And the entire office staff is simply the best!

Oct 14th, 2011

I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Schwartz. The only issue is the time waiting and because she spends time with her patients instead of in and out, thats what can happen. I would rather wait a little bit and know that I am going to get the personal care from her.

|  No Good  |  show details
Sep 30th, 2011

Dr Schwartz is a terrible Doctor in my opinion she misdiagnosed me and ignored my calls to change my medicine, she insisted she knew what was wrong and she had no clue. Thank God I saw a specialist or I would be dead thanks to her stupidity. be careful she is a sloppy doctor.

Sep 2nd, 2011

Overall I am satisfied with Dr. Schwartz and her staff and she is indeed a good andcaring physician. The waiting time, however, can be exceptionally long (I'vehad to wait up to an hour on severaloccasions and once itwas more than an hour and a half). As she is responsive and does spend time with her patients I thoroughly understand that therecan be times when she is running late. However, as there have been times when I know the staff knows she is runningexceptionally late it would be mostappreciated if they would call to letthe patient know her appointment scheduleis running behind when it is apparent thepatient will have to wait more than 30minutes before seeing her. The staffcould also ask if the patient would liketo reschedule for another day especiallyif the appointment is, for example, suchas a routine visit for prescription refills. Another alternative would beto reimburse the patient at the doctor'shourly rate for waiting room time beyond30 minutes! It is tremendously distressing to have a routine appointmentand have to spend an extended time in asmall room with several patients obviously suffering from the flu orother contagious diseases.I also find it unnerving when theassistant goes over medications andhas difficulty ascertaining what hasbeen prescribed and in pronouncing thename of the medication.

|  Patricia Pasquill Patient  |  show details
Aug 30th, 2011

A few years ago I was suffering and didn't have any idea what was wrong; I thought I had possibly had a stroke. She was recommended to me by my neighbor. She told me to come in right away, took one quick look/exam and determined that I had PMR. She gave me medicine and I could move my whole body by the next a.m. She has earned my total confidence and respect ever since. I always depend on her to let me know what is wrong. She makes me feel like a family member; like the most important patient she has. I recommend her to everyone I know.

Jul 18th, 2011

Dr. Schwartz has been my primary care doctor for over ten years. I like to be involved in my own healthcare decisions, and she listens, answers my questions, and shares her expertise. Whenever I've needed an appointment ASAP, I've always gotten one the same day. I've never had a doctor who spends so much time with me.

|  highly recommended  |  show details
Mar 4th, 2011

I have found Dr. Schwartz to be very knowledgeable and caring. I do not agree with the negative comments posted at all since that has never been my experience and I have been seeing Dr. Schwartz for 6 years. She was recommended to me by a friend and I have recommended Dr. Schwartz to many others. I have confidence in her expertise and she seems to be on top of the latest developments in her field.I am a retired BSRN......

|  A good doctor  |  show details
by M Z at Insider Pages on Oct 7th, 2010 on insiderpages.com

I have been going to Dr. Schwarts for more than 20 years and she has been exceptional and thorough. I would not even consider going to anyo...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
 |  My experience  |  show details
Aug 24th, 2010

I've went to Dr. Schwartz for a few years now and have never really been happy, but was too lazy to change, but I'm changing now. In a nut shell, she answered her cell phone twice when she was in with me. She runs very, very late. I've called needing more medication or needed her to change my medication and had to wait one to three days for a phone call back from her assistant. I would NOT recommend her.

Apr 23rd, 2010

I took my wife to Dr. Schwartz as she was recommended by a colleague. My wife had some blurry peripheral vision. After an examination, Dr Schwartz recommended a follow-up with an opthomologist. She arranged an appointment immediately witha Dr in the same building. After an eye exam, the opthamologist determined the eyes were fine and set up an immediate MRI at a facility also on the premises. Bottom line is that we had a 9:00 am appt with Dr Schwartz, and by 1 pm had a diagnoses of brain tumors. Time was critical in treatment of this disease and had it not been for Dr Schwartz's immediate recognition of an innocuous seeming syptom, she would have certainly lost her vision. This rapid response and availability of a team of specialists is my idea of good medicine.

|  very disappointed  |  show details
by Alyssa Powers on Apr 21st, 2010

I'm new to the area and was looking for a new doctor. I knew I wanted a doctor affiliated with Scripps. I found Dr. Janet R. Schwartz by calling the Scripps hot-line. On the first visit I was happy that she asked so many questions about me and my family heath history. However, that feeling quickly faded with every appointment to follow. She talked down to me and made me feel stupid when we talked about birth control. During one procedure I became very emotional and she showed no sympathy. Dr. Janet R. Schwartz used vinegar during this procedure instead of iodine and I quickly developed 2 uncomfortable infections. I also felt judge by her more than once. When changing my from of birth control she didn't go over all the different pill options I had, she simply put me on Yaz. I would never recommend Dr. Janet R. Schwartz to even my worst enemy. I was very disappointed and left her office upset on more then one occasion.

|  Keep away from this one.  |  show details
by jasminepw on Jul 21st, 2009

She's rude, holier than thou, closed-minded and seemed annoyed at my questions about bio-identical hormones and breast thermography. I had concerns because my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, and because I was too young for a mammogram I paid out of pocket for breast thermography. The doctor suggested I was a worrier. She told me to exercise when I mentioned feeling bloated, she belittled the chiropractor who reviewed my breast thermogram (done at a separate facility) because he's not an M.D. (meanwhile her M.D. title hasn't found the cause nor solved any of my health issues). I won't be returning to her office. It's a shame too, because her staff is really great.

|  Would not recommend to anyone  |  show details
by Frybll on Mar 27th, 2009 on kudzu.com

I have several times waited in the lobby for her when they strictly require you to be there 15 min prior and never have been told that she was behind when checking in. A simple I┐m sorry but the Dr. is running late would be nice and then would decide for myself if I wanted to stay or reschedule. She also sent me for a procedure and requested to have a specific Dr read my films and he is not contracted with my insurance carrier when she knows who I'm insured with, now I'm being charged $107.00 for something that I should never have been charged for.

Read Full Review at kudzu.com
 |  Horrible  |  show details
by amanda4882 on Oct 4th, 2008 on kudzu.com

I've been in many times and finally had to change doctors...I would have an appt. at 10am and would not be seen until almost 11am. I waited for almost an hour consistently!! Dr. Schwartz is more interested in her cosmetic laser/hair removal treatments than the paitence who have healthcare insurance. I chose her because she was women's health but her poor knowledge on health and lack of respect for one's time is what pushed me toward another doctor. Do not go there!!

Read Full Review at kudzu.com