Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Apr 2nd, 2015

Outraged. DC office is dirty- fyi. Both offices had me wait 30 minutes in exam room before seeing doctor. Chevy Chase office said they were in network for Carefirst and then billed an out of network LAB WITHOUT telling me so I am stuck with a huge bill! Bedside manner, 1st visit nice, 2nd visit- super rude. When I asked for numbing gel prior to procedure they said, "they only do it for men." and doctor then proceeded with extremely painful procedure and told me to "relax and let it happen." Outrageous, simply outrageous. Also gave zero information about procedure before or after or what to expect. Never determined why there is blood in my urine. DO NOT GO TO THIS DR. IF YOU ARE A WOMAN.

by CJ on Jan 22nd, 2015

While my visit and consulting always goes above and beyond I just wish there was more follow up after procedures and diagnoses with the patients..

by rosemary strange on Dec 21st, 2014

He has been my doctor for more than 15 years - he is competent doctor and caring person.

Horrible outcome five years later show details Horrible outcome five years later
Nov 9th, 2014

Every day I wake and confirm the worst mistake I ever made in my entire life was to allow Jason Engel to be my surgeon. An absolute lack of veracity and integrity. Engel's recommendation and subsequent removal of my prostate has been a complete and ongoing disaster. I suggest that any prospective patient get a second or third opinion before believing anything Engel says particularly if he plans on performing surgery on you.

would not recommend show details would not recommend
Jun 9th, 2014

Some of the reviewers are confusing arrogance with confidence. Mature people don't behave like that. It can also be a way of hiding a lack of knowledge about a condition, as happened in my case.

Great Doctor show details Great Doctor
by Wanda and George Dawkins on Dec 27th, 2013

He is a very thorough doctor; he takes time to explain everything to you. He answers your question. Some people might think he too direct, but I think we need that sometime. He walks you through everything, if he sense that you don't understand what he is saying, he breaks it down until you do. I think people confuse him being very confident with him being arrogant. Several of our friends have Dr. Engel as their doctors and are very pleased. I personally think he is very good at what he does. I highly recommend him to everyone.

Arrogant Doctor show details Arrogant Doctor
by VB on Apr 26th, 2013

I went to see this doctor as an alternative because it was closer to my home. He is rude, NOT friendly, and very arrogant. Instead of taking interest on my case he tried to give me a sermon on the type of people that go to see him. He could careless about what I thought my symptoms were nor wanted to hear anything I had to say. Further, and since he wasnt the first doctor I had seen to begin with, he demanded for me to see the other doctor moving forward. He rushed me through and ensured to let me know indirectly that he wanted nothing to do with me after this visit. Needless to say that i don't recommend him, nor will i ever recommend him, and will gladly go back to see the other doctor. Oh and weeks later I called back for a prescription refill, and he never returned my call but had his assistant call me back, and for the second time he ensured to let me know that he is washing his hands with me and that I should go see the other doctor the next time. what a disgusting attitude towards life if you ask me.!!!!

Feb 25th, 2013

Very patient, answered all my questions. Would highly recommend him.

Great Surgeon, Terrible With Patients show details Great Surgeon, Terrible With Patients
by JR on Jan 30th, 2013

Dr. Engel comes across as arrogant and condescending, but perhaps it's because he knows that he is a very good, experienced surgeon. However, he will not communicate with patients except during an appointment, and even his aide will not return calls unless it's an immediate emergency. At least he is very honest: He makes it clear that making money is more important to him than the comfort or emotional well-being of his patients.

Do NOT Recommend show details Do NOT Recommend
Jul 26th, 2012

This doctor was rude and condescending to both me and my wife. Its very important that your surgeon care about you. This doctor did not care about me. My surgery did not go well and everyone I've talked to has told me the problems I still have many months after surgery are because the surgeon's skill, at least in my case, was below average. When it came to post-operative care and consultations, this doctor couldn't be bothered. It seemed he just wanted to get rid of me. I guess that is because at that point he's made most of his money. There are other good urologist in the DC area.

Won't talk with patients show details Won't talk with patients
Jul 17th, 2012

After 5 years of going to him I couldn't take it any more. I asked him a question about an article I had seen about the link between diet and prostrate cancer and he said that he didn't have time to discuss research with patients. When I looked at him in shock he said that the problem with patients like me is that we want first class service but aren't willing to pay for it. When I replied that my employer set limits on payments he conceded this, but still said he wasn't paid enough to discuss research with me. That was the final straw - I quit. Should have quit a long time ago.

Apr 26th, 2012

Dr Engel is a great Dr, however there is a staff member that I have had the displeasure of coming in contact with on 2 seprate occasions. Extremely rude, uncompassionate, and made me feel like my concerns where not warranted. She was insulting. Therefore will not return to the Dr office or recommend this office.

Condescending show details Condescending
Apr 20th, 2012

I waited 70 minutes to see Dr. Engel. When I finally saw him, his manner was condescending. He told me I was mistaken about his having prescribed an antibiotic for me on a previous visit (he did) and basically acted like I was wasting his time. He was so inattentive to my description of my symptoms that he misquoted me twice during my 10 minute visit. Don't bother with this guy.

Not a good communicator show details Not a good communicator
Apr 15th, 2012

Although knowledgeable about urology I found it very difficult to communicate with this doctor. I was told on numerous occasions that my questions did not need answers or that he would answer them later.

BAD BAD BAD ALL THE WAY. show details BAD BAD BAD ALL THE WAY.
Feb 21st, 2012

Thus Dr. may have credentials but their moto on web site is NOT Above all, we pledge never to compromise on our first priority: the well-being of our patients. He was very arrogant and made you feel like you were bothering him with a simple problem that you were sent to him for. And to boot he actually said oh the 15 minute clock is ticking. I actually waited 65 minutes to see this rude man. If he does not like his profession maybe he should be a dog catcher, pity the poor dog on second thought. I do not wish him on anybody.

Excellent Surgeon show details Excellent Surgeon
Dec 29th, 2010

Performed nephrectomy with very few issues despite a complex medical history and issues. He was nothing short of amazing.

Great plumber, average doctor show details Great plumber, average doctor
Dec 3rd, 2010

Seemingly nice guy. Not up to speed with latest advancements in the field. Talks a bigger game than he plays. Non-existent bedside manner. Absolutely no follow-up. Appears to be in it for high volume procedures. Wouldn't recommend him.