Dr. Jason Engel Is this you?

3.3

Have you seen Dr. Jason Engel?

Excellent technician, unacceptable bedside manner and treatment style.

Posted on April 18th, 2017

I went to Dr. Engle for kidney stones. First time I was there, I was left alone in a check up room for 50 minutes - appparently he had just had a serious diagnosis for another patient. I was understanding about the neglect given what apparently had happened, but he was visibly distracted and unfocused throughout my perfunctory meeting with him. The next time I visited I was told to take off all clothes and lie on a cot covered by the equivalent of a body length piece of tissue paper. I was cold, vulnerable, ignored and for all practical purposes, quite naked. For the next 40 minutes his female medical assistant (I am a male) wandered in and out of my room as I lay there under the tissue with essentially no explanation, in an office atmosphere that felt chaotic. Again, I had a perfunctory visit from him after the long wait. We agreed on a surgical procedure to break up the stones and catherterize me afterwords. After a dispute about where the operation would take place - he wanted me to go to a facility In which he had an ownership interest that only used an anesthesia to which I have a familial risk and told me it was impossible for anyone to die due to that anesthesia (as my uncle did and my mother nearly did), we agreed on a location for the operation which went well enough. He knows what he is doing as a surgeon. Then I returned ten days later for the removal of the catheter. He essentially ripped it out of me, blamed me for "resisting," inflicting acute pain and leaving me in a puddle of stunned immobility. I was in too much pain to move for a good 25 minutes. He never checked back to see how I was, nor did he send anyone else to do so. I felt the experience was utterly unacceptable. I advised my primary care physician that in my view Dr. Engel should not be in clinical practice at all and asked her not to refer anyone else to him.

Outstanding

Posted on February 3rd, 2017

Dr Engel is not only an outstanding surgeon he is totally focused on his patients. From initially meeting him to the actual surgery at GW Hospital I knew exactly what was going to happen. He took time to explain everything and I never felt he was too busy to answer my questions or those of my wife. We had two meetings, the first to explain the different procedures and answer any initial questions and the second two weeks later to answer any concerns that I may have had. Both meetings included my wife. The team who he works with at GW which includes the Anesthetist, Medical Practitioners, Nurses and Technicians all spoke very highly of him. He took me through the various different options I had for my surgery, telling me the pros and cons of each. He has a great sense of humour and really turned a miserable moment into a magic moment insomuch as I was confident in him and the choice of treatment I had made. Whatever the result of my biopsies I can say with my hand on my heart I chose the right person for the job and indeed the right Hospital. When I left GW Hospital after surgery I was given a phone number to connect directly to the Team who looked after me so that if there was a problem I could call from home and discuss the problem and didn't have to wait in line at Emergency to be seen. That indeed was also an amazing comfort.

Excellent doctor/surgeon!!

Posted on September 12th, 2016

I'm a patient of Dr Engel since couple of years. Great doctor! He knows is competent and excellent. Huge experience! Just tell him your symps and he will know exactly what u need... Great new staff!! They're very professional and kind. If u need an urologist give him a chance the waiting time it worth it.

Unreachable in case of emergency

Posted on June 9th, 2016

Emergency room attempts to reach the doctor or anyone else in his practice COMPLETELY unsuccessful. My husband almost died-dr engle cold and uncaring and his staff is very unprofessional.

Prostate Biopsy Gone Bad

Posted on May 16th, 2016

I suggest that any potential patients look elsewhere. Dr. Engel and his office reflects his operational attitude - broken chairs in the waiting room with very long waits, broken/malfunctioning equipment, poor communication just bad experience with three appointments and found another doctor.

Want Someone Who's Caring and Helpful? Not Him.

Posted on May 3rd, 2016

Read his ratings carefully before letting Dr. Engel operate on you. My father developed a life-threatening infection, which was NOT Dr. Engel's fault -- but when the emergency room staff AND my parents tried to contact him, he was completely unresponsive. Three days later, the office called to ask if he was coming in for his follow-up appointment. The answer? No, he's in intensive care from a complication. I then met him -- he is arrogant and uncaring, and we have found another urologist.

Posted on April 26th, 2016

Dr Engle is a very skilled surgeon. He removed my prostate 10 years ago. The surgery went well with a speedy recovery. His instructions were precise and made the entire process go smoothly. I highly recommend Dr Engle.

Posted on April 2nd, 2015

Outraged. DC office is dirty- fyi. Both offices had me wait 30 minutes+ in exam room before seeing doctor. Chevy Chase office said they were in network for Carefirst and then billed an out of network LAB WITHOUT telling me so I am stuck with a huge bill! Bedside manner, 1st visit nice, 2nd visit- super rude. When I asked for numbing gel prior to procedure they said, "they only do it for men." and doctor then proceeded with extremely painful procedure and told me to "relax and let it happen." Outrageous, simply outrageous. Also gave zero information about procedure before or after or what to expect. Never determined why there is blood in my urine. DO NOT GO TO THIS DR. IF YOU ARE A WOMAN.

Posted on January 22nd, 2015

While my visit and consulting always goes above and beyond I just wish there was more follow up after procedures and diagnoses with the patients..

Posted on December 22nd, 2014

He has been my doctor for more than 15 years - he is competent doctor and caring person.

Horrible outcome five years later

Posted on November 9th, 2014

Every day I wake and confirm the worst mistake I ever made in my entire life was to allow Jason Engel to be my surgeon. An absolute lack of veracity and integrity. Engel's recommendation and subsequent removal of my prostate has been a complete and ongoing disaster. I suggest that any prospective patient get a second or third opinion before believing anything Engel says particularly if he plans on performing surgery on you.

would not recommend

Posted on June 9th, 2014

Some of the reviewers are confusing arrogance with confidence. Mature people don't behave like that. It can also be a way of hiding a lack of knowledge about a condition, as happened in my case.