Dr. Jay Van Gerpen MD Patient Reviews

• Neurology Jacksonville, FL

2.8

October 13th, 2016
Poor Bedside Manner
I believe Dr. van Gerpen is very knowledgeable about motion disorders but his bedside manner is terrible. I had 8 appointments with him, for analysis and tests, and I don't think he said 30 words to me the whole time. On the last appointment he gave me the results and his diagnoses. The diagnoses was correct, and not anything my other doctors had suggested, but then Dr. van Gerpen seemed annoyed and upset that I wanted to ask him a few questions to better understand my condition. He kept trying to pawn me off on his nurse assistant.

November 10th, 2013
Awful
This is by far the worst doctor I have ever had...and that includes the dentist that overdosed me on pain medicine. He is a rude, condescending narcissist who does not listen to your concerns at all. I was waiting for 6 months+ to see him at the Mayo clinic but I thought I'd wait since the Mayo clinic has a good reputation. After 1 visit and a few tests (no follow up appointment with him), 4 months later he said nothing was wrong. After I told him (through the Mayo messaging service) that I had numerous new symptoms, he told me "I'm comforted by the results of your tests," one of his favorite sayings to brush you aside. After the final 'report' came out that was supposed to assess all of my results, I told him (again through the Mayo messaging service) that he didn't even discuss one of my abnormal results and that another abnormal result (dismissed because of my weight) was incorrect because they miscalculated my BMI. I asked why the abnormal results were dismissed when they were clearly related to my symptoms (Mayo message service...catching the trend that you don't interact with him??). His response? "I'm comforted by the results of your tests." I work with a lot of PhDs and MDs and I can tell in my field when someone has all of the "qualifications" but once you talk to them you realize there is nothing beyond the degrees. I can't say for sure because I am not in the neurology field, but he displays all the classic signs of someone that lacks something beyond the degree on the wall.

September 4th, 2013
Dedicated Professional
After visit with this remarkable medical professional and gentleman, I feel there is hope for my future. Arrived feeling doom & gloom, then the doctor thoroughly assessed the situation and after considerable, positive time with me, I feel assured that I have met the person who is capable of helping me. Blessed to have had the opportunity to get to the Mayo Clinic to meet Dr. Van Gerpen.

May 31st, 2013
IIH
Most unprofessional doctor I have ever seen. Babbles nonsense jokes that make a uncertain situation worse. Than gives a bull___, diagnosis. Went to a cardiologist and there I was diagnosed with intracranial swelling and not enough O2 getting to my brain. That was what was causing my tremor, lesions, blood pressure to spike you Moran. This doctor does not belong in Mayo Clinic he gives them a bad reputation.

September 5th, 2012
Rough, Uncaring Bully
I was first seen by a resident, who was caring and kind. Then this man came in and said "Do you mind if we talk shop for a minute?" Well of course I said I didn't. But I hadn't agreed to the most humiliating, painful, uncaring rough handling ever endured during a simple EMG. I wished I had asked for my husband to come in with me. I will never make that mistake again. This man treats a patient like a slab of meat. I had huge bruises with hard knots that came up immediately and were still painful days later. This man is a condescending, uncaring bully. The resident sneaked back in and apologized for the 'torture.' What could I say? I just wanted to get out of there. Everyone else encountered at the Mayo Clinic were kind, efficient and helpful. Van Gerpen can only drag its reputation down.

June 20th, 2012
Great DR
Highly recomended

March 26th, 2012
Happy Patient
Very thorough doctor. Very detailed oriented. Most of all trustworthy.

February 3rd, 2012
Great Guy

May 18th, 2011
Undedicated to his profession
This doctor had no interest in helping and made it very difficult in obtaining a diagnosis. He thought nothing was wrong was with me, I looked fine, etc. A year later I am facing brain surgery because my problems were that serious. The Mayo clinic is ruining their good reputation with this man.

September 17th, 2010
Young PK patient.
After getting an initial diagnoses from a doctor that gave me about 5 minutes, I sought a second opinion from Dr V. He gave me his undevided attention and was extremely thorough. Even on follow up visits he never rushed a visit and follow up was always thorough. My only regret is that I got spoiled; I moved and over the last 2 years I have not found a Doctor that matches his level of professionalism.

April 20th, 2010
Best Yet
So this doctor was my third that I went to for diagnoses. Why three doctors, the first did a very quick, minimal exam (like he had dinner waiting), the second was more interested in his study than my future health and Dr Gerpen actually cared about my health. He was extremely thorough with his exam, was very knowledgeable and showed interest in providing an individual approach for my future healthcare. I am an educated individual that has taken the time to research PD prior to my visit with Dr Gerpen, yet he opened my eyes to much additional information. Maybe you get from a doctor when you are willing to work hand and hand.

October 29th, 2009
worst investment I made
After months of no diagnosis. He was not even kind enough to give advise of how I could improve the quality of my life. I am house bound. He responds to my symptoms by saying that is not my area (they are) and sends me to other drs. He doesnt listen and although I paid every bill on time I recieved no benefit. Its the most expensive run around I ever had.