Overall Review

February 4th, 2016
Professor of Computer Science
Dr. Emond is clearly a famous Surgeon who specializes in transplants. But in my case he performed a Distal Pancratectomy to my wife that was not necessary as we learned later. A CT test showed a 1cm mass in the pancreas and Dr. Emond was recommended. He had an associate, Nurse Practitioner Phyllis Tarallo, since Dr. Emond could not be contacted (famous professor), Nurse Tarallo was in charge of communicating with us as he was never available. She recommended an "immediate" Pancreatectomy to rule out the possibility of malignancy in the pancreas. She really scared us, and we later found that there were less invasive options as for example Endoscopic Ultrasound with thin needle. The surgery was major and my wife was in the ICU for several days since she lost a lot of blood. Nurse Tarallo (and not Dr. Emond) told me after the surgery that nothing malignant was found (even though more than 70% of the pancreas was removed) just an inflammation, as it was later confirmed by a lab. After the surgery, Dr. Emond's associate, was in charge of removing the stiches and the follow-up with several blood works. Two months later my wife had a 5cm pseudo-cyst produced by the surgery and she needed an endoscopic procedure to drain the cyst. Moreover my wife developed type 1 diabetes as the pancreas can not produce enough insulin (as only less than 30% remains). My wife had a diabetic shock and she was in the ICU for several days, and completely irrational (and until today she does not have any recollection of what happened to her during those days), and it was then when we learned about that she needed insulin. I am sure Dr. Emond saved a lot of lives, but in my case, Dr. Emond and his associate, Nurse Tarallo, not only performed a very poor post-operative follow-up, but they are responsible for not let us know of other less invasive options. If we knew about these other procedures (instead of open surgery) we had chosen the other options instead. My wife was fired from her company after 14 years as a manager, since she is always in pain (and taking pain medication for the pancreas and she is under insulin treatment). It was really a tragedy that our path and Dr. Emond and Nurse Tarallo paths met. A real tragedy. Clearly Dr. Emond is from the old school that prefers open surgery to new techniques such as EMS that only the new generation of surgeons can performed. We should have been informed of the other less invasive options.

November 20th, 2015
I have never met a better doctor....he saved my life 3 times.

October 8th, 2013
Dr. Emond saved my life ,the most amazing support staff and incredible attention throughout from all members of his team,

March 20th, 2013
Miracle Worker
In2000 Dr. Emond was my liver transplant surgeon. He is gentle, kind and an excellent surgeon. (5 stars). In 2003 three he saved live by performing a liver/ kidney transplant on me when I only had a few days to live. God works wonders through him.....a fantastic surgeon!

March 20th, 2013
The best there is.
He saved my life four times. I had four life threatening operations and he brought me through all of them. His bedside manner could not be able to be matched anywhere.

August 15th, 2012
Dr. Emond gets a 5 star rating from me. He saved my life 12 years ago with a liver transplant and again in 2003 with a liver/kidney transplant. An icon - who is kind and compassionate. Now that he is a TV star (NYMED featured Dr. 8/14/12 airing on ABC)I hope he still has time for me when I come in once a yr.

August 23rd, 2010