Dr. Jean Lauricella MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

November 30th, 2014
The Wicked Witch of the West is still practicing?!?
This brought a ton of memories, and not a single good one. I was recovering from a C-Section, my child was born prematurely, I was in pain, scared, and very emotional. I would have appreciated a , non-judgmental, gentle approach with maybe a little bit of kindness or encouragement (or is that too much to ask?) Instead, I got one lecture after another, insinuating that I had no idea what I was doing with my child, some pretty crude comments about my abilities and knowledge, and a rather distinctive boorish New Jersey attitude. When I politely asked to not have the temperature taken rectally for a completely healthy baby, I got another diatribe. And for refusing vaccinations to a 1 week old daughter, I got more of a volcanic eruption. The most upsetting part was an intentional attempt to put my husband and I down, with our questions, our preferences, and our requests that contradicted the Esteem Doctor's instructions (which, without a doubt, were dictated by comprehensive knowledge of pediatric medicine, but also lacked common sense). We were asked to come in every other day, and when I suggested having a well visit (2 weeks, maybe), I was told that we'll have to come back for that visit yet another time. I basically walked out and told her we weren't coming back. She demanded that I put my intention to quit her practice in writing, which I did. At that point, she called me husband (I was shocked!!! manners of a shady accountant, not an MD!), telling him that I'm just hormonal and don't need to be paid attention to. She wanted to charge $50 for the "records" (2 pages) - I didn't even bother taking them. My girls are turning 6 and 4 this winter. We've gone through several pediatricians until we found the ones we're happy and comfortable with. This was like the Tales from the Crypt episode - definitely an experience I could have lived without... How some doctors still manage to practice is beyond my understanding.

July 20th, 2011
Worth it
From 3-days old until his 15th birthday, Dr. Jean and her former partner, Dr. Paula (Verette) took excellent care of my son. I know Dr. Jean can appear to be brusque or abrasive at times, but she was usually just trying to get me to fish or cut bait. She is much more often caring, always kind, gracious, and, maddeningly, always right. Their care is conservative and caring. In my experience the practice was the closest thing to a personal, small-town physician this old mom could have had for her kid.

December 2nd, 2010
Holier Than Thou
We only saw this doctor a handful of times and absolutely despised her. She has a holier-than-thou attitude and a horrific bedside manner. She'll spend enough time with you, but will manage to insult you several times in the process. If you're looking for a caring, professional pediatrician, this one is not for you.

June 14th, 2010
Will milk you dry!
At first I was impressed with how easy it was to get an appointment with Dr. Lauricella because she always seemed to be open. Now I know it because she hardly has any patients due to her poor attitude and the fact that she will force you to bring in your chid for needless appointments (who requires a 21-month checkup of a perfectly healthy child ??) just to rack up more bills. When I decided I had enough after 2 years and switched to another doctor, she charged me $35 for copies of each of my child's charts to be transferred to the new doctor as well as $15 for each immunization record for a grand total of $100. When I asked her why I was being charged for something I have never had to pay for before, she replied it was for "cost of copying" and her "time for reviewing the charts". Why she had to review my children's old medical records before transferring them, I don't know. All I can say is that she is intent on making a buck no matter how ridiculous the charges may seem. Her staff is also quite standoffish, sometimes arguing with each other in front of me and as the mother, I am always disregarded in my opinions about my child's health and care.

June 4th, 2010
Concerned Parent
Bad experience all around. If you care about your child, STAY AWAY from this doctor.

April 29th, 2010
Former Patient
Dr. Jean is the best. She was always someone I could talk to, even when I had an embarrassing health issue. She was/still is even someone I could/can talk to about my personal problems. I've gone to her all my life. Unfortunately, I am now 20 years old, so cannot be her patient. It's just not the same with any other doctor I've been to...she's the most caring and I trust her so much.

April 29th, 2010
Former Patient
Dr. Jean is simply the best! She has always been there for me for health or personal issues. Her caring manner and high intelligence have always made ...

January 16th, 2010
A Great Place for Children of All Ages
My Family of 5 children have all been patients of Dr.Jean since birth... so we have spanned the decade with her patient, kind demeanor and constant availability no matter how many numerous calls have been placed. We recently took a Christmas vacation to Boston and 2 of my children were very ill...it became very evident almost immediately how different the level of care we received was. My children declared these doctors act like we are a bother to them, so we called dr. Jean on Christmas Eve and she helped us deal with the health care at hand. The children recovered, but it has be reinforced that Dr. Jean is a real gem!!!

January 3rd, 2010
Dr. Jeanne (as she is called by her patients) came to the hospital when my twins were born in 2000 and has cared for them ever since. Getting a call back or setting up appointments is extremely fast and her staff is wonderful about following up. When we arrive for appointments, we barely have time to sit down before being called in. This is extremely helpful for a working mother on a schedule. Dr. Jeanne talks to my kids, asks them great questions and takes the time to ask how I am doing. As the single mother of twins, I felt that she was looking after me as well. She has several staff who have been with her awhile so you get to see the same faces when you visit and feel like you know these wonderful people.Whatever your ongoing needs may be with a pediatrician, what I have always said about Dr. Jeanne is that she is who I want in an emergency situation. On the two occasions when my daughter was hospitalized (head injury at 5 months, pneumonia at 9 years), Dr. Jeanne knew exactly what was needed, helped make it happen fast and was not shy about dealing with the hospital staff (who were also wonderful). She was the advocate any mom would want and need. Hospital staff made it clear to me that Dr. Lauricella gets more involved in her patients care than most doctors and is unwilling to relinquish complete responsibility to the attending physician. In the end, you are still HER patient and she will follow your care every step of the way. I'm not sure the hospital staff love that but this mother of a sick child sure did. She has also made excellent referrals when we have needed those. As with any medical care, you will get some advice you don't necessarily agree with. As the parent, you'll need to decide what to do with that. If you can listen, take advice and then make the best decision for your family without getting your ego bruised or sense of control taken away, you will be supremely well taken care of at Dr. Lauricella's practice.

December 21st, 2009
Thankful Parent
I recently moved to California after my husband's death...needless to say my life was a mess and my children had multiple health issues. Dr.Lauricella was referred to me from another family in her practice. WHAT A BLESSING! Dr. Jean spent many hours sorting out the medical issues. She is extremely thorough, patient, and has a wonderful demeanor with my children. My daughter is now pretendind to be Dr. Jean with her play doctor kit. She has a wonderful calming influence on me as well.

December 19th, 2009
Dr. Lauricella is simply GREAT!!!
Dr.Jean as the kids call her is a fabulous role model for our son and daughter. They feel at ease with her and actually look forward to their doctor visit.

December 18th, 2009
Dr. Lauricella is an excellent physician
As a pediatric subspecialist myself, and also a Mom of children with medical problems who are seen in this practice, I would highly recommend Dr. Jean Lauricella to anyone looking for a pediatrician.