Overall Review

March 6th, 2013
Wonderful and Kind
Dr Young was my daughter's Doc. from the time she was 14 until she was 23. He provided her treatment after her first occurence and again six years later. He was thorough and careful, yet kind and caring. When he teared up while talking to us about her cancer coming back, I really understood how much he cared and wanted to help her.

December 5th, 2011
the best doctor you could have that you'd wish you wouldn't need
It would have been really, really nice if we hadn't needed a radiation oncologist, but we did, and Dr Young was simply stellar. Not only did he explain everything clearly, he was outstanding about following up, and checked in while hospitalized. Not him, he wasn't hospitalized... He's the best, though. You could certainly do worse, but you couldn't do better.

October 15th, 2011
MISLEADING AND RIGID
At first Dr. Young seemed interested in my needs but I soon realized this was because my surgeon had called him requesting that he be accomodating as I had found his colleague less than helpful. He did say he would look into other options other than tatooing me with permanent tatoos. (His associated in Bangor give women the option of just having ink markings.) Dr. Young eventually got back to me and said he would mark me with silver nitrate. Over 6 months later the marks are still there. He said he would consider NOT radiating my heart and lungs in his attempt to reduce my risk of breast cancer returning. When I returned for the "mapping" for radiation, Dr. Young then informed me that he still might need to radiate part of my heart and lungs. I told him (AGAIN) that that was NOT an option. He did map me excluding my lungs and heart, altho my ribs would still be in the radiation field. During the mapping, he and the technician were indifferent to my wish to be covered up when not being mapped. When I requested that I have a thyroid shield during radiation treatments, I was treated badly, like I was a bother. Months passed before I was finally able to be mapped because of Dr. Young and staff's reluctance to comply with my wishes. In the end, I decided, based on my research that I only wanted the tumor sites radiated. (85-90% of recurrance is in the tumor site.) I was exhausted from all the delays and could not handle the stress of more arguments with Dr. Young and staff. I opted to not have radiation treatment at this time. Showing his typical lack of concern, Dr. Young sent me a certified letter stating that, against his recommendations, I chose to not have radiation treatment. This letter was obviously designed to protect him, not me.