Dr. Jeffrey Carlsen MD Patient Reviews

• Ophthalmology Johnson City, TN

March 15th, 2016
Eyelid Reconstruction
Had reconstruction on my lower eyelid after MOHS surgery for a basal cell carcinoma. He took a graft from my upper eyelid, and I am happy with my results. He also did several steroid injections to improve the appearance of the graft post-op, and they helped. I never had to wait very long past my appointment time, and also didn't have a problem getting in to see him. I would go back to him again if I needed another similar procedure. I didn't have any problem with his bedside manner at all.

November 5th, 2015
Terrible Experience to visit this doctor
Waited for several months for an appointment with Dr. Carlsen and waiting for about three hours to see him in the room. Then he spent 5 minutes or even less with us and gave a prescription that is totally different from another doctor's. Now I don't know if we should trust him. Very terrible experience.

October 30th, 2015
Total disrespect of patient's time.
I had to wait over 1.5 hours to see the doctor past by scheduled appointment time.

October 30th, 2015
I found this doctor to be very rude and arrogant.

September 21st, 2015
Would choose another less arogant dr if we had another chance. But we dont.
Almost uncaring about outcome of surgery he did on my husbands eye to straighten the eyes focus. After surgery I commented about the crooked gaze of the eye. He said, Oh really, let me see! then looked at the eye after surgery and said ,"oh i thought it would be straighter"

June 17th, 2015
Extremely full of himself and doesn't listen at all. Extremely RUDE!!! Would never recommend. Has no respect for patients' opinion.

April 14th, 2015
Very rude to kids with disabilities

January 7th, 2015
he is a great doctor

February 27th, 2013
Proficient, but lacks any bedside manner.
Dr. Carlsen has performed 2 eye surgeries on me. His work is very expert and proficient. However, in the operating room and in office visits, Dr. Carlsen lacks any bedside manner. He spends as little time as possible with this patient, and his manner is very curt and terse. I'm not sure why this is - but I do know that he is very busy; cotton one office visit, I spent 3 hours waiting to see him. During my other numerous office visits, I have routinely had to wait an hour or more to get into an examination room to see Dr. Carlsen. Once in the examination room, I routinely have to wait another 20 minutes for him to arrive. Going back to Dr. Carlsen so bedside manner, it puzzles me because it appears that upwards of 80% of his practice is pediatric. I would presume that he has to deal with many an upset or unruly child. If he treats his pediatric patients in the same manner as he treats this 50 some year old patient, I'm surprised he gets any work done. I had to see Dr. Carlsen because of all the doctors at the Johnson City Eye Clinic, he specialized in the particular problem I have. Perhaps Dr. Carlsen relates better to his pediatric patients than he does to his adult patients. Then again, the pediatric patients always have an adult with them, so I wonder hew he deals with those adults. Don't get me wrong - I will continue to see Dr. Carlsen. I state these observations to inform any potential patients that might choose to see him as their eye doctor, so they can make an informed decision as to whether he is right for them. One final note, I find - with some notable and outstanding exceptions - that Dr. Carlsen's staff tends to be curt with adult patients as well. I've seen them work with pediatric patients, and this doesn't seem to be the case when dealing with the children outside the examination room.

July 9th, 2012
I had upper and lower eyelid surgery. Great results!